Luca Lettieri
Italy
Pomezia
flag msg tools
LL
badge
Magnus
mbmbmbmbmb
If using the optional rule with the additional spice blow, and using two physically separate spice decks [I have an additional one from an incomplete english edition...], is the Atreides' player allowed to peek at both decks or just at the first one?
The original rules mention just one card, but the French edition explicitly states you get to see both cards. The WBC clarification doesn't talk about this.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tim Thorp
United States
Granite Falls
Washington
flag msg tools
badge
"Come on! Come on! Come and get it, baby! Come on! I don't got all day! Come on! Come on! Come on you bastard! Come on, you too! Oh, you want some of this? "
mbmbmbmbmb
I would say yes. The rule says that Atreides gets to look at the top card of the spice deck at the start of the movement round. The Optional spice blow says 2 separate spice decks are used, but it does not mention that the Atreides player cannot look at the top card of the second deck. (I'm going by the original AH rules.) This would seem to imply that the peek at the second deck is allowed.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mat Nowak
Canada
Halifax
Nova Scotia
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I would also rule that yes, the Atreides player would get to use his power of prescience for both spice decks.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dan Freedman
United States
Apex
North Carolina
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I've always played that Atreides only got to see the spice card from the first deck. I thought I read it in a FAQ awhile back, but I looked around briefly and can't find it. Maybe we've been playing incorrectly all along.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Luca Lettieri
Italy
Pomezia
flag msg tools
LL
badge
Magnus
mbmbmbmbmb
I think it's rather tricky... the original rules only mention the first card, and they make no exception for the double spice blow; but on the other hand, the double spice blow is assumed to come from a single physical Spice deck which gets split in two discard piles. My situation is a bit different as I own two Spice decks.

The distinction is subtle but important: glancing at the top two draws from a single deck, in case the first card is a worm you will know where the spice will actually appear for the first discard pile but not for the second or, alternatively, you will know there are two Shai-Ulud coming for the same discard pile, and thus you know the Fremen will be able to place the second wherever they like; using a single draw from two different decks, if one of the decks has a Shai-Ulud on top you won't be able to know what the second card is for that deck.

I.e. glancing at the two top cards from a single deck = possibility for the Atreides to know beforehand whether the Fremen will be able to move wherever they like; glancing at the top card of two separate decks = no such possibility. This rule effectively has different consequences depending on the availability of physical components, though the difference would probably be not very significant in most circumstances.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Armin Sudhoff
Germany
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
I'd say, of course the Atreides are allowed to look at both first cards:
1.) It is much easier to play, because if they are not allowed, you have always to remember, which spice-deck the Atreides are allowed to look at. What means, to define a "first" spicedeck (atreides are allowed to look) and a "second" one (not prescienced by AT).
2.) When Atreides prescience is restricted at the second deck, so why should the Fremen be allowed to ride the worms of the second deck?!
3.) I don't think, that the Atreides have such a big advantage in being able to look at the second spicedeck (much weaker then the Fremen ability, to ride double as many worms as normal!!).
4.) The Atreides are imo the faction, that has the smallest advantage by a second spice-blow:
more spice is primarily good for emperor and guild. The Harkonnen would love to see some more shattered troops running for spice, because, so they can easier capture some leaders, the Fremen would be able to get a spiceblow, even without any battle (very important at the beginning, when treachery-cards are exorbitant for them), the BG would perhaps be able to collect spice, that nobody "wants"... if not, they don't matter, they have other problems, then having spice (Choam Charity, no shipment-costs...)!), the Atreides, are the only faction, that has no immediate advantage ...so why not letting them look at the second blow?!

At least, we even don't play with "second spiceblow" and advanced combat rules (so my humble opinion doesn't count very much), we think, that the Emperor and Guild become too powerful by these rules. Especially the Emperor with his strong leaders, endless spice flow (when treachery cards are bought to even higher prices) and not to forget: his feared Sardaukar!!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ken
United States
Crystal Lake
Illinois
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
HivedOne wrote:
1.) It is much easier to play, because if they are not allowed, you have always to remember, which spice-deck the Atreides are allowed to look at. What means, to define a "first" spicedeck (atreides are allowed to look) and a "second" one (not prescienced by AT).

You may be making more of this than it needs to be. You could simply play it as "The Atreides player may look at one of the two spice blow cards for the turn" and let them choose the deck.

We've also never played using these rules, so I don't have any particular position on the "only one vs. both" question.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.