Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Michael Fraker
United States
Atlanta
Georgia
flag msg tools
mbmb
Why was this game put in the database. There is now article that this game is referenced in, there's no pictures of the 'protoype', there's nothing. All we have is a discription of its state IN THE PAST TENSE. This game hasn't even been fully designed! I think this might cross the line as to when new material should be turned down. If this allowed in won't all the crackpots with their half designed games/ideas (myself included in this category) flood the gates. I'm not saying this entry is bogus, but I don't think it qualifies for entry in the geek because its not a finished game. It would fit into the sidsacksongeek.com web site for sure, but not here. In my opinion of course.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Harvey Wasserman
United States
Somewhere
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Re:not a game
gt8595b (#50093),
Not a "published" game. Apparently, very rare. The submitter knew the rules of the game, a photo will surely follow.
You might include published games that have "broken" rules, or impossible translations. There are enough of those; they could also be called unfinished. I don't think those will be excluded either. People who buy those games sometimes try to fix the rules, or find variations that are more interesting, or just find something to complain about (the game "game").

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael Fraker
United States
Atlanta
Georgia
flag msg tools
mbmb
CrocWrestler (#50098),

there it is again, another reference to the "meta-game"

maybe you're right. I think I started the orginal post with the mind set that more = worse. Now that I think about it though, I think it would be cool if Sid S. (he's not dead is he?) were to do something dfferent but with similar mechanics and we would be able trace that game's leniage through this game.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brad Miller
United States
Seattle
Washington
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
gt8595b (#50102),

Um, yes, Sid is dead.

This is a very sketchy entry. I don't think it should be in here. I've got some prototypes in my head. Can I describe them and put them in?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Harvey Wasserman
United States
Somewhere
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
gt8595b (#50102),
There are people I wish I could have known. Reference: http://www.lifeinlegacy.com/2002/WIR20021109.html#D51
Sid Sackson passed on Nov. 6, 2002 after a long illness at age 82.

Meta-game. Well, why not? Sometimes games are rushed into production, without much testing. Other times a designer's best work is turned inside out by the publisher. There are many reasons why a published game is seen as lacking in some aspect, apart from personal tastes (too much luck, too dry, brain-burner---take your pick). When a game matches someone's personal taste, and still falls short, why not try to make it better?

3M's Sports Games: http://www.boardgamegeek.com/geeklist.php3?action=view&listi... I don't know whether Thinking Man's Basketball was finished. It was one of a series, so who knows?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tony Nardo
United States
Ellicott City
Maryland
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
"Why was this game put in the database. There is now article that this game is referenced in [...]"

Game & Puzzle Collector's Quarterly, Volume 3, Number 4, p. 24. You can order a back issue via the AGPC at www.agpc.org.

For additional referemnces, do a Google search.

there's no pictures of the 'protoype',

Blame the game entry procedure. The photo of Sid's photocopy of the cover was uploaded as soon as the game entry appeared.

In the interim, you can look at    http://gamewardens.home.comcast.net/sackson_1/tmb.jpg to see a black and white photo of the photocopy that SId made of the cover.

there's nothing.

Apparently there's something, as this item clearly hit a hot button. :-)

. I'm not saying this entry is bogus, but I don't think it qualifies for entry in the geek because its not a finished game.

If you've entered a game via BGG, you'll note that one of the publisher options that can be selected is "(Unpublished)". Do a search on the database, and you'll find it is not the only such title.

TMB is especially appropriate to the BGG database, as there has been debate as to whether or not the game ever existed in any form. This entry will show that there is substance to the claims.

Anyway, from Sid's photocopy, I can say that the game was at least as finished as many others that have been submitted. The rules are typeset, cover art and board art appear to be in a viable form (at least from what I can tell in dealing with a black & white copy), and 3M had assigned the game a product number (C-S330R-70). The main difference between TMB and Jati seems to be the breadth of distribution: to date Sid seems to have been the only person to receive TMB from 3M for evaluation and testing, whereas Jati made it to a wide base of reviewers and playtesters.

I've offered GeekGold in the hopes that the collector who bought the original 3M copy from Sid, or someone else out there who may still have a surviving copy, will step forward with a color photo. However, I'll admit, as an incentive to action, GeekGold is only slightly a cut above "Itchy and Scratchy" money. :-)

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ernst Knauth
Germany
Erdmannhausen
BW
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
trnardo wrote:
I've offered GeekGold in the hopes that the collector who bought the original 3M copy from Sid, or someone else out there who may still have a surviving copy, will step forward with a color photo. However, I'll admit, as an incentive to action, GeekGold is only slightly a cut above "Itchy and Scratchy" money. :-)

Accidentally I saw this old posting.
I knew Sid Sackson since the late 80's (I don't know the exact year anymore), when he visited the games fair in Essen. And I am the guy who had got Thinking Man's Basketball from Sid some years later.
I thought I'd have the only existing original prototype of TMB.
Are there really other copies around?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tony Nardo
United States
Ellicott City
Maryland
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Warbear wrote:
Accidentally I saw this old posting.
I knew Sid Sackson since the late 80's (I don't know the exact year anymore), when he visited the games fair in Essen. And I am the guy who had got Thinking Man's Basketball from Sid some years later.
I thought I'd have the only existing original prototype of TMB.
Are there really other copies around?

Apparently there was at least one other copy, in Minnesota. The photos I uploaded for this game entry were provided from someone in Minnesota who sold a copy of the prototype. That copy sold for around $1,100 on eBay, if I recall correctly.

(EDIT: $1,152.89, actually. I forgot about the post I made at the time...
*** http://www.boardgamegeek.com/thread/63652)

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.