Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: analysis [+] Arkham [+] [View All]
Keith Malkowski
United States
Milwaukee
Wisconsin
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Do the colors of the gates indicate their general difficulty? I am new to the game (I've just played two solo games). It appears that red-colored gates are more difficult than the rest, but I can't be sure. I really love the game. I can't wait to show this game to my cousin. I've purchased all the expansions (Dunwich Horror is on its way as I type).

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Merric Blackman
Australia
Waubra
Victoria
flag msg tools
designer
Ramping up my reviewing.
badge
Happily playing games for many, many years.
mbmbmbmbmb
To some extent, yes.

I look at the modifier on how hard it is to close a gate to get a feeling for how hard the Outer World encounters are likely to be. R'lyeh is definitely the hardest place.

Cheers!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
brian
United States
Cedar Lake
Indiana
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
You mean the colored circles on the gates printed on the side? I have suspected so but haven't spent the time to look into it. it seems that the color you get will general do one thing over another. I don't remember what was what, but blue seemd to help you out, red involved combat. Didn't follow this pattern all the time, iirc, but generally it did.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Marcin Pędich
Poland
flag msg tools
mb
As far as I've noticed, red is the most deadly, while green seems beneficial.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Daniel Eldborn
Sweden
Örebro, Göteborg, Uddevalla
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Though i havent really studied it more closely i would say that the colors have a general difficulty. I would rank it as follows

1. Red (toughest)
2. Blue
3. Yellow
4. Green (easiest)
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tibs
United States
Boston
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Those familiar with the Dunwich Horror expansion will recall Jim Culver's special ability: in which all outer worlds are considered to have green in addition to colors they aready have. This would imply that green is definitely the most beneficial (least harmful?).

Red is definitely the worst, though. Beware!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tristan Hall
England
Manchester
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
LIFEFORM - LATE PLEDGE NOW!!!
badge
LIFEFORM - LATE PLEDGE NOW!!!
mbmbmbmbmb
Ezekiel wrote:
Though i havent really studied it more closely i would say that the colors have a general difficulty. I would rank it as follows

1. Red (toughest)
2. Blue
3. Yellow
4. Green (easiest)

Bang on the money!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Glenn Highfield
Canada
Winnipeg
Manitoba
flag msg tools
Ezekiel wrote:

1. Red (toughest)
2. Blue
3. Yellow
4. Green (easiest)

Interesting; there's shades of Runebound (also by FFG) in that order list.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andrew Clarke
United Kingdom
St Albans
Unspecified
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Blue cards do not, so far as I can see, contain any more beneficial encounters than red ones, but they tend to be delays/sanity loss rather than stamina loss, and generally not quite so bad. Yellow cards contain both good and bad effects; green are generally beneficial.
And I find the Abyss to be worse than R'lyeh, myself.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.