Popular Tags: [View All]
Scott
United States
denver
Colorado
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Or maybe it's not a myth...

I'm reading through the rulebook and getting ready for my first play but every once in a while I read a disquieting comment similar to the following:

"When you play ASL, it's the only game you have any time for"

Is there any truth in this? From reading the rules, I can say they are complex, but I think I can play other games without forgetting the rules. Overall the concepts are not that tough and I've heard there are many scenarios that only go a couple of hours. So what's the deal? Is it maybe that ASL players only want to play ASL? Or maybe they are referring to tournament players?

I'm really liking the game so far but I still want to be able to play other games.

Any thoughts?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Todd Pytel
United States
Chicago
Illinois
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Well, that all really depends on how much time you have to spend gaming. But generally, I'd say that's not true. About half of the ASL guys I know play other games from time to time. The other half find ASL so involving that they don't *want* to play other games, which is rather different than not having time to.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brian
United States
flag msg tools
mb
I think Todd's assessment is correct. Players that play ASL and only ASL do that as a matter of choice. There are some players that have other gaming interests but are still very good at ASL, so I don't think you have to be completely dedicated to ASL to be reasonably competitive and have a good time with it. On the other hand, if ASL really gets it's hooks into you, then you can take comfort in the fact that you could play a different published scenario every day for about 10 years without ever repeating one, and there are more being published all the time.

So...don't fear ASL. Embrace ASL. Love ASL.

One of us, one of us, one of us...

Brian
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Gregory Smith
United States
Newark
California
flag msg tools
badge
IGNITION - bringing enlightenment where once all was dark
mbmbmbmbmb
Absolutely debunked. I know a handful of local ASL players I play with from time to time. I do not actually know any ASL players who play ONLY ASL, although I'm sure they exist.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Scott
United States
denver
Colorado
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
generalpf wrote:
Do you already have opponents lined up? If not, I find it hard to believe that ASL is going to take up all of your time.

I haven't lined up a game yet there are several ASLers in my area-and an ASL club not too far away. So opponents shouldn't be a problem.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mark McG
Australia
Penshurst
NSW
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
It isn't true.. I'm an ASLer and I play other games.
Mind you I played ASL pretty much exclusively for 10 years, and it is still the best game I own.

Despite the size of the rulebook, ASL is at it's core a simple game to play, but it is almost continuously involving. There is very little sitting back for the other player's turn. Things are always happening, changing, and choices to make.

So the excitement and involvement of a hard fought ASL scenario can make more set piece games seem pale. ASL.. my heroin..
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Manuel Pombeiro
Luxembourg
Luxemburg City
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
It is as true as the gamer want it to be. I have friends that only play tabletop miniature games, they don't want to find the time to play anything else. I know this because I've been there also. With ASL the same is also true.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Timothy Burke
United States
Oakland
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I find time for all my games, family games, historical miniatures and board wargames. Vassel is great for ASL. It'll over take over you life and time if you want it to.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Robin Reeve
Switzerland
St-Légier
Vaud
flag msg tools
badge
Looking for a game session in Switzerland? Send me a pm!
mbmbmbmbmb
I play ASL most of the time, but I do play other games (wargames included).
It is not only a question of time.
It is a question of opponents too : you cannot play ASL with non initiated friends - that is where I go for eurogames or simpler wargames (e.g. C&C Ancients).
Playing ASL is a question of "pleasure" too : the variety of situations, of climates, of weapons, etc. does keep the feeling of "novelty" alive.
The enormous choice of scenarios makes you rarely play a scenario more than once or twice.
The "feeling" of the game, which is very interactive, as written higher up, makes it much more interesting than the usual "I reorganize, I move, I fight, then you do the same" systems - and ASL doesn't ask for a lot of side recording.
So, time is a factor, but the attractiveness of the game is what makes a lot of addicts.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael Decker
United States
Colorado Springs
Colorado
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I play nothing but ASL by choice. I could play other games and indeed would find some ftf opponents to do so, but I really don't have any desire for it. ASL is the most perfect game devised by the mind of man, why play anything else?

I don't get out much either...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Read the rulebook, plan for all contingencies, and…read the rulebook again.
United States
Austin
Texas
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Checkallday wrote:
I'm reading through the rulebook and getting ready for my first play but every once in a while I read a disquieting comment similar to the following:

"When you play ASL, it's the only game you have any time for"

Is there any truth in this?

Well...When you're playing ASL, you won't be playing anything else for awhile, that's for sure. Plenty of folks seem to like that. I used to like that, too, but not any more.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.