Mark Mokszycki
United States
Snohomish
Washington
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I just scored this game as a 99 cent thrift store find. I was pleased to see that it was complete.

Just had a read of the rules, and man are they vague on a few points. Most of my questions were answered by looking at previous posts here at BGG, but this question still remains...

What player plays what? In a two player game, does each player pick only 1 flag (3 ships) or does each pick 2 flags (6 ships total). If the latter, does it matter which flags you choose since the board is arranged a particular way? The rules give no mention whatsoever of number of players, or how to play the game with 2 vs. 3 vs. 4 players.

Thanks in advance for any help you can provide!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matt Davis
United States
New Concord
Ohio
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
In a 2-player game, I think it's your choic whether you play 2 flags each or not. If not, I'd say you should either put the players opposite each other or else (for maximum amount of running into each other) next to each other along the short side of the board. If you play 2 flags each, I'd say make the 2 flags a player controls at opposite corners. Just my feeling.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mark Mokszycki
United States
Snohomish
Washington
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Thanks for your suggestions.

Are there no official rules for this? It seems a major oversight since the game will change considerably depending on which way you do it. Also... if you have 2 flags per player in a two player game, how does that work? Does each player take a seperate turn for each color flag he or she controls? If so, how does the turn order work? I go I go, you go you go, or alternate? If alternate, can you pick which flag to activate first, or does it remain the same throughout the game? Or are your flags cooperating, so that you can move any one of your six ships using a given die roll? As you can see, the number of questions necessary to play the game quickly spirals out of control.shake

It boggles my mind that these questions haven't been asked before with so many people owning the game. Is everyone just making up house rules? Obviously it would be easy enough to make up some rules, but it seems like a game that won a game of the year award should have tighter rules. I personally don't like inventing my own house rules because it's often difficult to determine how they will change the overall game mechanics or balance.

Just my thoughts. I'd love to hear from more folks on this topic. arrrh

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Gabriel Velasco
United States
Round Rock
Texas
flag msg tools
I have the official rules and they don't address some of your questions. They do say that you can set up either "long-ways" or "short-ways" for two players with two fleets each, but they don't mention order of play. They do mention lots of variations and it seems like everyone who has this game has come up with some of their own. I think as long as you agree ahead of time you can play it however you want. My tendency for two players playing two fleets each would be to allow the most flexibility to allow for the most stragegy. I would allow the current player to be able to move any of his ships on his turn and turns would simply alternate.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.