United States
Atlanta
Georgia
flag msg tools
Bitches!
badge
Hourglass Nebula
mbmbmbmbmb
My first game of Caylus ended when a player completed the Towers section of the castle. He was the third and last player in. After the other players placed their houses, there was only one space still available. However, he had four batches, and asked whether he could place four houses - one in the last space and three as overflow. The rules didn't address it, and we ended up allowing it, as it was a teaching game for the most part. However, I suspect that the number of houses that can be placed in the Towers section is capped at the 14 available spaces, and that's the price you pay for not getting in early. What does everyone else think?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Justin Heimburger
United States
St. Louis
Missouri
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I agree with you, but I'm no expert. It's been several months since I played Caylus.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dave Eisen
United States
Redwood City
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
If the tower is full, that is it. No more batches cannot be built.

In the first two stages, if the area is full you can overflow into the next area. But you cannot overflow into a virtual fourth area.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Merric Blackman
Australia
Waubra
Victoria
flag msg tools
designer
Ramping up my reviewing.
badge
Happily playing games for many, many years.
mbmbmbmbmb
You can only place in the spaces that are there. You may "overflow" into the next set of building spaces - so you can build the Walls when all the Dungeon spaces are filled, but you can't build more Tower spaces than are there.

The rules do actually cover this. See the section on Building the Castle.

"If there is no more room in this section, the player may start building the next section (nevertheless, if the players are building the Towers – which are the last section – it is possible that some of them will not be able to give batches)."

Emphasis mine.

Cheers,
Merric
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Steve Bauer
United States
Gilbert
Arizona
flag msg tools
badge
Bazinga!
mbmbmbmbmb
It is limited by the spaces.

Phase 6 in the rules

(neverthless, if the players are building the Towers - which are the last section - it is possible that some of them will not be able to give batches).

Not the best wording but I am certain it is saying once it is full you may not play any more batches into the castle.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
C.K. Au
Malaysia
Kuala Lumpur
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Sungrazer wrote:
My first game of Caylus ended when a player completed the Towers section of the castle. He was the third and last player in. After the other players placed their houses, there was only one space still available. However, he had four batches, and asked whether he could place four houses - one in the last space and three as overflow. The rules didn't address it, and we ended up allowing it, as it was a teaching game for the most part. However, I suspect that the number of houses that can be placed in the Towers section is capped at the 14 available spaces, and that's the price you pay for not getting in early. What does everyone else think?

1. The Tower section is definitely limited to 14 batches. In your case, the 3rd player only scores for 1 batch.

1a. However if there's a 4th player and he can drop say 2 batches but since the Tower is already full and he cannot build, he'll just skip. Importantly, he does not get penalize (-2 VP) for not building in the Tower (as in this case, he has the valid batches to build but there's no space for him).

2. If it's the Dungeon or Wall sections, you can overflow into the next section. You score for those overflow sections, and in terms of number of batches, those built in the Overflow sections count as your build in this round for the Build Catle favor.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.