Popular Tags: [View All]
Mark Haberman
United States
Painesville
Ohio
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
What is your favorite San Juan building? Not neccessarily the one you think is best. Why do you like it? What are some advantages and disadvantages? What 1 other card would you most like to pair it up with?

Mine is the crane. With the crane you can always build something. You can build over useless buildings. You don't have to worry as much about getting a lot of cards. Plus it's just plain fun to use!

The one card I love with the crane is the carpenter. You can build over another building, and get a card back as well. I won one game where I rarely had over 3 cards in my hand at any time. I just kept upgrading buildings, and although I only ended up with 7 buildings, I had three 6 pointers.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
howl hollow howl
United States
Oregon
flag msg tools
badge
Re:What is your favorite building and why?
What is your favorite San Juan building?

Fun question. Crane is up there for me, but I rarely build it. My top 5:

5. Black Market - You can use cards for building, then choose producer, which illicits many groans from your opponents. Goes very well with Aqueduct.

4. Tower - Allows for tactical screwage (no, I'm not building this turn - please discard 3 cards). I especially like to combine this with City Hall and Palace. laugh

3. Po' House - Goes well with Prefecture or heavy trading, as you'll need access to a good number of cards so that you can get something to build with the right number of cards. Fun as it is, it has two big disadvantages: it's harder to use when you are holding a 6-point building, and it doesn't combo well with the Carpenter.

2. Silver Mine - Love the gobs of cards. I especially like to combine this with a Tower so I don't have to worry about too many cards.

1. Market Hall - Love building this early on after the others have started a trading strategy. I especially like to combine this with a single Tobacco plant. This has won me more games this year than any other building.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matthew M
United States
New Haven
Connecticut
flag msg tools
admin
8/8 FREE, PROTECTED
badge
513ers Assemble!
mb
Dave wrote:
3. Po' House - Goes well with Prefecture or heavy trading, as you'll need access to a good number of cards so that you can get something to build with the right number of cards. Fun as it is, it has two big disadvantages: it's harder to use when you are holding a 6-point building, and it doesn't combo well with the Carpenter.

Combos fantastically with the Chapel. If you have one card too many to get the Poor House bonus you throw something underneath for a VP.

-MMM

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mark Haberman
United States
Painesville
Ohio
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Dave wrote:

5. Black Market - You can use cards for building, then choose producer, which illicits many groans from your opponents. Goes very well with Aqueduct.

I like it too, just starting to incorperate it into some of my strategies. Goes well with the Well also, since you can produce more often. Also goes well with poor house, since you can control how many cards you use to build.

4. Tower - Allows for tactical screwage (no, I'm not building this turn - please discard 3 cards). I especially like to combine this with City Hall and Palace. laugh

For some reason I never use the tower. I like strategies where you need less cards in hand, hence the crane. I never seem to have too many cards. I guess if it happens only once it can be worth it. Say you have to discard 3 cards, then the tower just earned you three cards. Need to use this one more.

I like it, but I tend to use carpenter more. More usefull in the early game. I tend to build early and then build over it about half way through the game.

2. Silver Mine - Love the gobs of cards. I especially like to combine this with a Tower so I don't have to worry about too many cards.

It's ok for me. More of a straight ahead approach. Doesn't really combo with other cards well since it's expensive and you would never use black market with it. I'd rather have a tobacco and a sugar for the same price.

1. Market Hall - Love building this early on after the others have started a trading strategy. I especially like to combine this with a single Tobacco plant. This has won me more games this year than any other building.

This one is great when you are sticking with just your indigo. Makes your indigo valued between tobacco and coffee. Best when your opponent is producing a lot. I was thinking though, for 4 you could just build a coffee house instead, or build over the indigo with crane and it would be even cheaper. Market would be good if you have carpenter or quarry down.

Thats quite a unique list though, I like it. I for one would rather lose and try interestnig combinations, then play by numbers and win. I guess that's what's turning me off from PR online. You really need to stick to a ridged set of rules to have any chance.

I get a lot of satisfaction when I win a game with only 7 buildings up .

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
howl hollow howl
United States
Oregon
flag msg tools
badge
Say you have to discard 3 cards, then the tower just earned you three cards.

Even better is when you can make your opponent(s) lose 3 cards. That's the tactical screwage I was talking about.

I like [Poor House], but I tend to use carpenter more.

I agree Carpenter is a (perhaps much) better building, but Poor House is more fun to play with. The main benefits of Poor House is that it's easier to build in the beginning, and you get cards for production buildings too; this makes it a great early build, IMO.

I'd rather have a tobacco and a sugar [than a Silver Mine] for the same price.

You can only get them for the same price if you have a Smithy. laugh Otherwise, it costs you an extra card (the building itself). Also, the extra building slot it takes up can be a problem if you are going for something other than a Guild Hall strategy. I just love the card cuz it's the big smackdown, daring other players to produce or trade; as with Market Hall, it's most effective when other players are committed to some amount of produce/trade.

Market [Hall] would be good if you have carpenter or quarry down.

Good point that it's best used when you have some other bonus for building it. Also, when considering Market Hall vs a better production building, knowing whether you are more likely to build Guild Hall or City Hall makes a big difference.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
phil rennert
United States
Unspecified
Unspecified
flag msg tools
habermanm (#50160), Well if I want to win, Guild Hall, especially with its friends Smithy and Prefecture. It's fun laying down 3-point Indigo and not having to pay for it. And building every time because my card requirement is so low.

For fun, Aqueduct because it has so many combinations: Black Market as described, Well so I get a card if anybody produces, Trading House so I can produce and trade two without having to pick either, and if I'm greedy Market Stand too, so I get two cards plus two sales each cycle. Though with so many cards devoted to wealth production, I'd better build some big point buildings with all the money.

Also it's nice occasionally to get all 3 monuments plus the Arch and beat a Guild Hall...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Steve Perriam
United Kingdom
Unspecified
Devon
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
habermanm (#50160),

i really like the tower as 7 cards seems to restrictive imho.

also the library for the privilege bounses - v useful in 2 player games with you being the governor 2 times in a round every other round.

getting used to the other buildings as only had the game a short while.....

but from wot i remember i also find the market hall and aqueduct useful for their abilities in trading / producing iirc !

however so far i've only ever played this as 2 players so i guess fav buildings mite alter with more people ?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Werner Bär
Germany
Karlsruhe
Baden
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Did you read the rules for the library?
You can only use the doubled privilege once per round in a two player game.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Steve Perriam
United Kingdom
Unspecified
Devon
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
Werbaer (#55108),

yes we did notice that rule and we do play it.

just did not make it clear in my last post blush

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.