Popular Tags: [View All]
Joe Cappello
United States
Minneapolis
Minnesota
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
He who loses most, wins.

http://query.nytimes.com/gst/fullpage.html?res=9500E3D71F3DF...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matthew Kloth
United States
Wausau
Wisconsin
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Thanks for bringing this to my attention. The ratchet idea is interesting.

The way that "two losing strategies" produce a winning one is because one of the losing strategies has both a very good and very bad component, while the other one has a slightly bad component. Then you alternate back and forth in such a way that the slightly bad is used instead of the very bad often enough you end up with a positive return.

at the end of the wiki article is a good example:http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Parrando%27s_Paradox

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Marc P
United States
Seattle
Washington
flag msg tools
badge
Gloomhaven is a great niche game
mbmbmbmbmb
What a great way of eliminating Brazil nuts from a mix!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Daniel Danzer
Germany
Stuttgart
southwest
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Another, rather simple example is 3 SPOT game, where each player scores points (putting his own tile on one of the 3 spots), moving his and a neutral tile at each turn.

The object is to score 12 points provided that the other player scores at least 6 points - if the other player scores less than six points then the player reaching 12 points is the loser! Whereas in most games the person scoring the highest number of points is the winner - in the 3 Spot game the 'winner' can be the 'loser'.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nate Straight

Covington
Louisiana
msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
This doesn't seem so much to be a paradox as a very specific setup of games and the variables controlling them that leads to interesting results. If you go play around with the second flash applet here, you can see that the "two minuses make a plus" outcome depends on very specific ranges of probabilities and whole number multiples for decision-making rules. If you select a number higher than 3, for example, to be your decision-making rule in game B, then the whole system fails. The results also depend heavily on the probabilities of each coin winning. If you set the probability of the first game too low, for example, the results simply don't work. This just seems to be mathematical smoke and mirrors for the most part.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
D Weimer
United States
Unspecified
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I wish I knew what parameters they used in Game A and Game B. Because I can't seem to reproduce their results.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mike Cooper
United States
Lewisville
Texas
flag msg tools
Ask me how I got this badge early!
badge
Dexterity Games Guy for BGG.Con / GeekCoin # 318030
mbmbmbmbmb
Quote:
Brooke Buckley, an undergraduate student from Eastern Kentucky University, mentions in her honors thesis that it's a well known fact in agriculture, "that both sparrows and insects can eat all the crops. However, by having a combination of sparrows and insects, a healthy crop is harvested."

Distilled down to "The enemy of my enemy is my friend." wherein given a choice, the sparrows prefer the insects. Not so much a paradox as a symbiosis.

I'm going to suggest that in game development, designers usually take into account the actions of one person making bad decisions, but not the accumulated result of more than one person playing badly. It is this which unseats the expected outcome.

/call me Ace Ventura, 'cuz I'm talking out of my ass.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Joe Cappello
United States
Minneapolis
Minnesota
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
As a bear of very little brain, this concept fascinates me in that I wonder if an effective game may be derived using this mechanism.

When it comes to losing, I am the winningest mofo out there!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mike Cooper
United States
Lewisville
Texas
flag msg tools
Ask me how I got this badge early!
badge
Dexterity Games Guy for BGG.Con / GeekCoin # 318030
mbmbmbmbmb
kennylibido wrote:
As a bear of very little brain, this concept fascinates me in that I wonder if an effective game may be derived using this mechanism.

When it comes to losing, I am the winningest mofo out there!

Then The Mad Magazine Game is the game for you.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mark Machado
United States
San Jose
California
flag msg tools
tenhole wrote:
I wish I knew what parameters they used in Game A and Game B. Because I can't seem to reproduce their results.

Read the wiki article linked above - it has the details you need.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jeff Hinrickson
United States
Brooklyn Park
Minnesota
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
kennylibido wrote:

The confinds of your mind is an enigma.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.