Popular Tags: [View All]
♫ Eric Herman ♫
United States
West Richland
Washington
flag msg tools
designer
badge
I like elephants. I like how they swing through trees.
mbmbmbmbmb
There are a lot of 2 player lists and recommendations out there, I know, but this might be a little more specialized...

My family and I spend several months of the year traveling in an RV, and having gotten back into board games recently I'll want to bring a few for my wife and I to play. But obviously space is a concern, both for storage and playing. However, I'm not really into card games so much, so I am looking for board games, which probably makes the criteria a little trickier. Games we already have include Settlers, Tikal, Mr. Jack, 10 Days in the USA, Hansa and some Cheapass games, but I doubt we would bring Tikal with the size of the box and the space needed to play it, and probably the same goes for Settlers, though we'd probably bring that anyway for when we visit friends. Mr. Jack is one that we'll definitely bring, as the box size isn't too big and the playing space needed isn't too large. I'm planning to get 1960 and Thebes at some point to play at home, but those may not be good choices for the road, depending on how much storage/playing space is needed.

One obvious choice is Kahuna. I like that game a lot having played it online, but didn't realize the box was so tiny until I saw it at someone else's house. So that's a perfect choice and definitely one I'm planning to get before we head out again next spring. Any others that might fit? I'm open to most ideas as far as subject/mechanics, etc., but based on some of the games I've mentioned above, maybe there are others that come to mind that fit the space limits?

Thanks,
Grudunza

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
♫ Eric Herman ♫
United States
West Richland
Washington
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
A clarification that the games don't have to be exclusively 2 player... but should be able to be played well by only 2. (I had given Mr. Jack and Kahuna as being the best examples, and so I don't want anyone to assume that I only want strictly 2 player games.)

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Slyvanian Frog
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I don't know, but you have just inadvertently created a retirement dream for me. I buy a massive freaking RV. It somehow has space for two computers (MMORPG freak here) and a large boardgaming table, as well as the normal other kitchen, sleeping quarters, etc. functions.

I then proceed to roll around the country, stopping for days to game if I feel like it (and ideally laze out in the sun).

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Scott A. Reed
United States
Lawrence
Kansas
flag msg tools
badge
mb
Kosmos two-player series

I recommend:

*Lost Cities
*Balloon Cup
*Ingenious Travel Edition
*Flowerpower
*Heave Ho!
*Jambo
*Tally Ho!
*Lord of the Rings: The Confrontation

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
♫ Eric Herman ♫
United States
West Richland
Washington
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
A reminder that I'm not really into card games. I don't mind cards being a big factor in a board game (as in 1960 or Kahuna), but I'm not as excited about games that are about nothing more than the cards (especially in a completely abstract way like Lost Cities).

SlyFrog, I actually travel in an RV for my job (musician), and so on many days I'm very busy performing or traveling. We love it and enjoy the occasional days off, but my wife and I joke that we're going to be the opposite of most people who RV when they retire... By the time we retire, RVing will probably be the last thing we want to do anymore!

Best,
Gr

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Gregory Smith
United States
Newark
California
flag msg tools
badge
IGNITION - bringing enlightenment where once all was dark
mbmbmbmbmb
I also play games when RV'ing and also tent camping. Obviously card games are often the best choice because of small box size and usually lower play area requirements. Many such games play similar to board games (for example San Juan, For Sale, and Razzia), so I would not completely count them out. However, you said you are not much into card games.

Many games can be made much smaller by taking them out of their box and putting them into a sturdy re-sealable plastic bag. I stick a photocopy (copied onto a lable sheet) of a part of the game box cover on the bags for identification, but obviously that is not necessary.

I am looking for games that are small, have a small playing area, and have no small pieces to lose (if such loss negatively affects game play).

As far as recommendations, most of the games I bring camping DO include some card play, but so does Kahuna, which you mentioned you liked. All of the following are small and have worked for me in the past:

San Juan
Razzia
For Sale
Jambo (lots of pieces but doesn't hurt if you lose one)
Quicksand
Babel
Battle line
Buffalo
Cartagena I or II
Duell
Formula Motor Racing
Guillotine
Lost Cities
Odin's Ravens
Lord of teh Rings: Confrontation (not Deluxe)
Shear Panic

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nick Fisk
United Kingdom
Stoke on Trent
Staffordshire
flag msg tools
Come on you Seagulls! Sami Hyppia's Blue & White army!
badge
That's weird. This bit used to mention Shire Games, and tell you all how wonderful we are. But it seems to have got deleted. Let's see what happens this time ....
mbmbmbmbmb
Settlers and Carcassonne both have travel versions:

Catan: Portable Edition

Travel Carcassonne

Some good, small 2p games:

Pick & Pack
Fjords
Lost Cities
The Rose King
Ingenious: Travel Edition
Blokus Duo

N.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michelle Zentis
United Kingdom
London
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Settlers of Catan: Travel Version (if you like Settlers enough to own two versions)
Travel Blokus
Ingenious: Travel Version
Dracula

These all come in boxes about the size of the normal Kosmos 2-player box and take up little playing space.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
☃ daniel ☃
United States
Berkeley
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Oltre Mare has a surprisingly small board.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michelle Zentis
United Kingdom
London
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Clearly Nick and I are sharing the same brain today.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michelle Zentis
United Kingdom
London
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
skwm wrote:
Oltre Mare has a surprisingly small board.

Ooh, yes! Just make sure you get the original version (tiny) and not the fancy reprint (gigantic).

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Henrik Lantz
Sweden
Uppsala
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
For some reason I felt the need to mention Patrician. It is a city building game I haven't played but am really thinking about buying. I first heard about the game on the podcast Boardgames to go where Mike Higgins is interviewed. He thought the game was really good. It was released in Essen (I think) and gets mixed reviews but I found comments that it seems to work really well as a couples game. Box seems medium sized from the photos. Read some reviews to get a feel for the game yourself.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
☃ daniel ☃
United States
Berkeley
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Also, if storage space is an issue you can do what I did - cram multiple games into a single box, or consolidate the contents of a game box into a "Collector Safe Deck Box".

For example, inside my Ticket To Ride box, I'm storing Ticket To Ride, Through The Desert and Saint Petersburg. Inside my Tigris & Euphrates box is T&E, Caylus and Puerto Rico.

Of course, you don't have to take the extra step of breaking down the now empty boxes and dumping them in the recycling bin, but I found it quite satisfying to do so (mostly from imagining the screams of horror of geeks as I tore apart the seams on my Caylus box).

The Deck Boxes also help my games take up much less room in the limited space of my closet, although these are mostly helpful for card games. I've compressed For Sale, Citadels, Coloretto, San Juan, High Society and Louis XIV (split across two boxes), and a few others into Deck Boxes. I got the idea from Verkisto's geeklist: http://www.boardgamegeek.com/geeklist/11921
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
T. Nomad
Netherlands
Den Bosch
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Are you moss-covered, Grudunza? laugh From one nomad to another:

I concur with Ingenious: Travel Edition. Great game. Since you don't like card games, I'll also recommend:

Hey, That's My Fish!, which we keep in a dice bag.
Citadels: The Dark City, which looks like a card game but doesn't feel like one, and we also carry in a dice bag.
Icehouse, five cigar-sized packs of which will net you about 100 quite varied games.
Clans, which is the only game on my list with a board, and yet I think is the most non-board-gamey (to use the technical term) of the lot.

Keep on rolling!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Burster of Bubbles, Destroyer of Dreams.
United States
Sunnyvale
California
flag msg tools
Just imagine the red offboard up here. I'll create it Real Soon Now...
badge
Yes, I know a proper 18XX tile should have a tile number.
mbmbmbmbmb
Hive; if you want to let people play in the back while you're driving I recommend a homemade magnetic set.

Saint Petersburg -- very small if you get rid of the box and board. Some people do consider this a card game, though.

No Thanks! -- yes, it's a card game, but it's more about the bluffing and extortion.

Ideology: The War of Ideas -- I don't know much about this game, but the box is very small. Needs >2 players.

Chicago Express -- an awful lot of game for the space it takes up. Needs >2 players, I think.

1960: The Making of the President is a bigger box (and board) than you expect.

There are a bazillion games out there for Icehouse pieces, some of which are very good.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jody Ludwick
United States
Indiana
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmb
We're enjoying Dungeon Twister at the moment. A space efficient slim box that can also hold expansions.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
♫ Eric Herman ♫
United States
West Richland
Washington
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Thanks for the recommends, everyone. Some things have already gone onto the "like/love to have" list.

I didn't realize that Oltremare had a smaller version. That's probably going to go into the definite list, as my wife really likes Hansa and this seems to have some similarity to that (and I think I would like it more than Hansa, which I'm only okay on).

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Greg r
United States
TROY
Michigan
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Number 1 for fun and compactness is Travel Blokus

Box is only 8 inch by 8 inch by 1 3/4 thick.

Blokus Duo

While being competitive, it is not combative, it is not seen as you are picking on someone when you block them, unlike some games if you make a move that someone does not like intentional or not they become offended, because of the nature of the game it very rarely happens. often you even get some cooperative play.

Nice and easy going. My brother takes the full sized blokus when he goes out for his big trips with his camping group and there is almost always someone playing it. I think he told me this last time they went they (the group) had 2 or 3 of them because other members of his group have bought them.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
フィル
Australia
Ashfield
NSW
flag msg tools
designer
badge
I am the wasp / that burrows in! I am the shriek / of twilight din!
mbmbmb
Ingenious: Travel Edition is a good one.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Peter Mumford
United States
Somerville
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
ceci n'est pas une pipe
mbmbmbmbmb
I can't believe no one has suggested Medici vs Strozzi yet! A bafflingly deep Knizia, if you don't mind some calculation..

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.