11 Posts

Catan» Forums » General

Subject: Does Settlers work as a two-person game? rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Brian J. Hotovec
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I'm looking for a resource management game that works for just two people. I have several games that are listed as 3-5, but I play them as two-person games and they work well.

Does Settlers work well with just two people?

Thanks.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sam Carroll
United States
Urbana
Illinois
flag msg tools
Soli Deo Gloria!
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Nope. You could try having two players each control two colors, and your two colors can't trade with each other . . . but that gets pretty confusing. You could try the card game.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Everett Scheer
United States
Madison
Wisconsin
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
The settlers of catan card game is 2 player. THere are also 2 player variants for settlers.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mike Mills
United States
Avon
Indiana
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I pulled from a few sources and came up with a 2-player version that works pretty well for my wife and me. We each play with 2 colors. We play to 20 points. We each only hold one hand and you can build for both of your 2 colors on your turn. We keep the settlement, city and road inventories separate between our two colors. There is no trading. I think that playing with the Fisherman of Catan expansion keeps the strength of the robber in check.

We have probably played this way over a hundred times and I find it to be a good way to play with 2 people.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
'Bernard Wingrave'
United States
Wyoming
Ohio
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
The best 2-player Settlers variant I have played is listed on BGG as the designer's own:
http://www.boardgamegeek.com/file/info/21616

I've played it once, and it was pretty good.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Aaron Brooks
United States
Maple Valley
Washington
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
My wife and I love it. It doesn't have as much crowding and blocking, but who likes to be that guy who can't ever get more than three settlements? We play no trading, and games are pretty quick, about 30 minutes. You really get to build an empire and see what it should feel like, and the longest road is almost always 15 long.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Grzegorz Kobiela
Germany
Hanover
Lower Saxony
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
badge
Editor at Lookout Games
mbmbmbmbmb
Re: Does Settlers work as a two-person game? - YES!
bwingrave wrote:
The best 2-player Settlers variant I have played is listed on BGG as the designer's own:
http://www.boardgamegeek.com/file/info/21616

I've played it once, and it was pretty good.

Ditto. The designer's variant (also found in the Traders&Barbarians expansion) is very good.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brian J. Hotovec
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Thanks everyone. It sounds like a two-person game of Catan can be lots of fun!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
SoCal
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
mikeamills wrote:
I pulled from a few sources and came up with a 2-player version that works pretty well for my wife and me. We each play with 2 colors. We play to 20 points. We each only hold one hand and you can build for both of your 2 colors on your turn. We keep the settlement, city and road inventories separate between our two colors. There is no trading. I think that playing with the Fisherman of Catan expansion keeps the strength of the robber in check.

We have probably played this way over a hundred times and I find it to be a good way to play with 2 people.

To note, the point of the 2 colors isn't that you have 2 different colors, but rather, so u have x2 as many pieces to work with (like how in Sudoku, the numbers are just identifiers, not used for arithmetic/math). In fact, if you have 2 copies of Settlers, you could just grab 2 sets of red pieces to use from each copy for the 2p game.

In a custom Catan vid game, u would just specify 20 roads, 10 setts, and 8 cities per player. No trading, and 20 points to win

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
L Ziesel
United States
California
flag msg tools
It can work:

http://www.ehow.com/how_7226052_adapt-settlers-catan-two-pla...

This version is simple and doesn't require extra pieces.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ono Sendai
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I don't really like the dummy players so I'm thinking of trying the board setup described at http://nick.borko.org/games/Catan2Players.pdf and add the double roll and commercial chip rule to it (except for gaining 2 chips when placing a settlement near the desert because there isn't a desert).

What do you think?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.