Recommend
8 
 Thumb up
 Hide
17 Posts

BoardGameGeek» Forums » BoardGameGeek Related » BGG Suggestions

Subject: Ability to flag geek questions for removal rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Randy Cox
United States
Clemson
South Carolina
flag msg tools
designer
1024x768 works just fine - Don't Wide the Site!
badge
Missing old BGG
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
I submit that we need a new "reason code" on the flag function for GeekQuestions only. It would be "please remove." If a few people flag a question as such (3? 4?), then it should disappear from the random question queue, though the question and answers should still appear under the respective user's "Geek Stuff" in their profile.

However, and this is important, these "invisible" questions should be deducted from each person's questions asked and answered tallies on the GQ "stats" screen. This would a) discourage people asking lame questions just to rise in the rankings and b) discourage people answering stupid questions just to get a tally tick, since the question will soon become "invisible."

I think it would make GeekQuestion a little more useful and friendly and not just the domain of the five person clique of "insiders" who hang out there now.
6 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
J
Canada
AB
flag msg tools
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Perhaps if the threshold were set higher, "Never Answers" could be used for this purpose. If a question acquires >x Never Answers it gets invisibled. If applied retroactively, this could clean up a lot of the cruft quite quickly.
1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Luca Iennaco
Italy
flag msg tools
badge
Avatar
mbmb
Randy Cox wrote:
I submit that we need a new "reason code" on the flag function for GeekQuestions only. It would be "please remove." If a few people flag a question as such (3? 4?), then it should disappear from the random question queue, though the question and answers should still appear under the respective user's "Geek Stuff" in their profile.

However, and this is important, these "invisible" questions should be deducted from each person's questions asked and answered tallies on the GQ "stats" screen. This would a) discourage people asking lame questions just to rise in the rankings and b) discourage people answering stupid questions just to get a tally tick, since the question will soon become "invisible."

I think it would make GeekQuestion a little more useful and friendly and not just the domain of the five person clique of "insiders" who hang out there now.

Good proposal. I've only a perplexity: make them invisible, do not have them count... but do not delete them? why? Just go ahead and delete them, if they're (considered to be) garbage.
1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Randy Cox
United States
Clemson
South Carolina
flag msg tools
designer
1024x768 works just fine - Don't Wide the Site!
badge
Missing old BGG
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Luke the Flaming wrote:
Randy Cox wrote:
I submit that we need a new "reason code" on the flag function for GeekQuestions only. It would be "please remove." If a few people flag a question as such (3? 4?), then it should disappear from the random question queue, though the question and answers should still appear under the respective user's "Geek Stuff" in their profile.

However, and this is important, these "invisible" questions should be deducted from each person's questions asked and answered tallies on the GQ "stats" screen. This would a) discourage people asking lame questions just to rise in the rankings and b) discourage people answering stupid questions just to get a tally tick, since the question will soon become "invisible."

I think it would make GeekQuestion a little more useful and friendly and not just the domain of the five person clique of "insiders" who hang out there now.

Good proposal. I've only a perplexity: make them invisible, do not have them count... but do not delete them? why? Just go ahead and delete them, if they're (considered to be) garbage.

The problem is that there are some crappy questions with good answers. I'd hate to see those lost forever. Likewise, there are some crappy questions that are part of a series. I figure if we can clutter up Aldie's servers with 1000 images of painted HeroScape miniatures, a few invisible questions won't hurt.
1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Curt Collins
United States
Pittsburgh
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
What I consider a worthy question is probably very different than what you do.

I ask fun questions every now and then, while I always skip stuff such as "what's your favorite boardgame?" Boring question. Now if the question is "If socks were edible, what do you think the most popular flavor would be?", then we have ourselves a quality question that can have fun answers.

I have a problem with the proposal because there are too many 'seriousness lawyers' that would prevent good quality fun questions from being answered.

I would actually like to be able to flag users as 'not fun'.
9 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Randy Cox
United States
Clemson
South Carolina
flag msg tools
designer
1024x768 works just fine - Don't Wide the Site!
badge
Missing old BGG
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Spleen wrote:
What I consider a worthy question is probably very different than what you do.

I ask fun questions every now and then, while I always skip stuff such as "what's your favorite boardgame?" Boring question. Now if the question is "If socks were edible, what do you think the most popular flavor would be?", then we have ourselves a quality question that can have fun answers.

I have a problem with the proposal because there are too many 'seriousness lawyers' that would prevent good quality fun questions from being answered.

I would actually like to be able to flag users as 'not fun'.
I think the sock question is a good one.

But there are so many like, "What did you think of the movie 'The Gardener's Suspenders'?" and so many people answer "I haven't seen it" simply to get their "questions answered" count up. Those kinds of questions can go. There are also silly questions like, "Top 10 games reorganized by rules complexity?" which isn't really a question and requires more work than anyone is going to provide.
1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kali Fitzgerald
United States
Black Earth
Wisconsin
flag msg tools
designer
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
I totally agree. There are also too many questions referring to specific BGG members as well as questions that are just plain rhetorical.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Crypt Keeper
United States
California
flag msg tools
None shall pass!
badge
'Tis but a scratch.
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
I think the stats page should just be eliminated, that question stats on profile pages should be eliminated, and that any question asked should be eliminated, say, 100 days after it's uploaded. Let's keep GeekQuestions fresh. Out with the old in with the new! It's not like it's great literature that needs to be kept around for posterity (although, I'll admit, some people do feel this way).
2 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Curt Collins
United States
Pittsburgh
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Allow users to keep their favorite 10 questions asked or something. They can replace them with new ones that they like the answers to if they want, but aside from those 10, none are kept more than 30 days or so.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
Plainwell
Michigan
flag msg tools
Mi cabasa esta muy verde
badge
Et in Vantasia ego
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Randy Cox wrote:
Spleen wrote:
What I consider a worthy question is probably very different than what you do.

I ask fun questions every now and then, while I always skip stuff such as "what's your favorite boardgame?" Boring question. Now if the question is "If socks were edible, what do you think the most popular flavor would be?", then we have ourselves a quality question that can have fun answers.

I have a problem with the proposal because there are too many 'seriousness lawyers' that would prevent good quality fun questions from being answered.

I would actually like to be able to flag users as 'not fun'.
I think the sock question is a good one.

But there are so many like, "What did you think of the movie 'The Gardener's Suspenders'?" and so many people answer "I haven't seen it" simply to get their "questions answered" count up. Those kinds of questions can go. There are also silly questions like, "Top 10 games reorganized by rules complexity?" which isn't really a question and requires more work than anyone is going to provide.


hmmm... moving on to GeekQuestionsValueCzar as well? Was there a referendum vote I missed? Perhaps I'll ask that over in Geek Questions

On a the serious tip - to me - it would be more of an issue of: If the DB is having issues because of too many questions and some needed to go this would be a fine idea. Otherwise - why prune? It is kind of fun to answer old questions - and I rather like the ones about specific users
3 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Randy Cox
United States
Clemson
South Carolina
flag msg tools
designer
1024x768 works just fine - Don't Wide the Site!
badge
Missing old BGG
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
vandemonium wrote:
Randy Cox wrote:
Spleen wrote:
What I consider a worthy question is probably very different than what you do.

I ask fun questions every now and then, while I always skip stuff such as "what's your favorite boardgame?" Boring question. Now if the question is "If socks were edible, what do you think the most popular flavor would be?", then we have ourselves a quality question that can have fun answers.

I have a problem with the proposal because there are too many 'seriousness lawyers' that would prevent good quality fun questions from being answered.

I would actually like to be able to flag users as 'not fun'.
I think the sock question is a good one.

But there are so many like, "What did you think of the movie 'The Gardener's Suspenders'?" and so many people answer "I haven't seen it" simply to get their "questions answered" count up. Those kinds of questions can go. There are also silly questions like, "Top 10 games reorganized by rules complexity?" which isn't really a question and requires more work than anyone is going to provide.


hmmm... moving on to GeekQuestionsValueCzar as well? Was there a referendum vote I missed? Perhaps I'll ask that over in Geek Questions

On a the serious tip - to me - it would be more of an issue of: If the DB is having issues because of too many questions and some needed to go this would be a fine idea. Otherwise - why prune? It is kind of fun to answer old questions - and I rather like the ones about specific users

I agree that it's fun...for the half-dozen of us who use the feature. But if GQ is ever to be anything more than a slower version of GeekChat for the "personalities" over there, it needs to be cleaned up. A lot.

That doesn't mean that peole can't still have frivolous questions, so long as the people over there appreciate them.

I like the GQ VALUES CZAR. Might have to purchase an ubergeek badge for that, but last night I decided such a purchase would have to go for my BAHHUMBUGMYASS sentiment.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
Plainwell
Michigan
flag msg tools
Mi cabasa esta muy verde
badge
Et in Vantasia ego
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Randy Cox wrote:
vandemonium wrote:
Randy Cox wrote:
Spleen wrote:
What I consider a worthy question is probably very different than what you do.

I ask fun questions every now and then, while I always skip stuff such as "what's your favorite boardgame?" Boring question. Now if the question is "If socks were edible, what do you think the most popular flavor would be?", then we have ourselves a quality question that can have fun answers.

I have a problem with the proposal because there are too many 'seriousness lawyers' that would prevent good quality fun questions from being answered.

I would actually like to be able to flag users as 'not fun'.
I think the sock question is a good one.

But there are so many like, "What did you think of the movie 'The Gardener's Suspenders'?" and so many people answer "I haven't seen it" simply to get their "questions answered" count up. Those kinds of questions can go. There are also silly questions like, "Top 10 games reorganized by rules complexity?" which isn't really a question and requires more work than anyone is going to provide.


hmmm... moving on to GeekQuestionsValueCzar as well? Was there a referendum vote I missed? Perhaps I'll ask that over in Geek Questions

On a the serious tip - to me - it would be more of an issue of: If the DB is having issues because of too many questions and some needed to go this would be a fine idea. Otherwise - why prune? It is kind of fun to answer old questions - and I rather like the ones about specific users

I agree that it's fun...for the half-dozen of us who use the feature. But if GQ is ever to be anything more than a slower version of GeekChat for the "personalities" over there, it needs to be cleaned up. A lot.

That doesn't mean that peole can't still have frivolous questions, so long as the people over there appreciate them.

I like the GQ VALUES CZAR. Might have to purchase an ubergeek badge for that, but last night I decided such a purchase would have to go for my BAHHUMBUGMYASS sentiment.


I see what you are saying. I guess the thing is that it is one of those subjective thingies that is sort of hard to define.

On the one hand I think the original intent was to ask questions so people could get to know you better - that is how I started - answering very seriously.

OTOH now there are a lot of (what to me) are fun or silly questions but I would argue that in answering them you still get to know about me even if I put in a silly answer because that is very much my personality.

So to the questions that *I* would weed out and you would weed out and the Crankmeister would weed out would probably be 3 different lists ya know? There are plenty of questions I leave unanswered not because they I think they are bad questions, but they just don't do anything for me. As long as there is an option to not answer that is good enough for me. There are some racy questions which may be flagable though. I just don't how you'd fairly weed things out.
2 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matthew M
United States
New Haven
Connecticut
flag msg tools
admin
8/8 FREE, PROTECTED
badge
513ers Assemble!
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Randy Cox wrote:


However, and this is important,


There is nothing important about GeekQuestions.

-MMM
7 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
Plainwell
Michigan
flag msg tools
Mi cabasa esta muy verde
badge
Et in Vantasia ego
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Octavian wrote:
Randy Cox wrote:


However, and this is important,


There is nothing important about GeekQuestions.

-MMM


Dude that is a geek question - "Is there anything important about geek questions?" - I'll leave it for ya!
1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
Merced
California
flag msg tools
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
vandemonium wrote:
Octavian wrote:
Randy Cox wrote:


However, and this is important,


There is nothing important about GeekQuestions.

-MMM


Dude that is a geek question - "Is there anything important about geek questions?" - I'll leave it for ya!


http://www.boardgamegeek.com/question/21575

and others, I'm sure.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
Merced
California
flag msg tools
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
I respect the desire to separate serious questions from the silly ones.

To me the difference is the intent of the questioner, self-policed, and failing that, as divined by the answerers. In other words, if there were "Questions" and "Silly Questions", then people choose where to ask. Obviously there'd be a lot more silly ones, and just as clearly there'd be pranksters crossing the lines, but then perhaps a thumb-like feature would allow the users to move the silly ones out of the serious area into the silly zone.

This is probably very similar to what Randy proposed, but different.

---

I don't think the silly questions should be deleted, of course.

And I wouldn't care if the stats thing was removed.
1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Clark Rodeffer
United States
Ann Arbor
Michigan
flag msg tools
designer
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Randy Cox wrote:
But there are so many like, "What did you think of the movie 'The Gardener's Suspenders'?" and so many people answer "I haven't seen it" simply to get their "questions answered" count up. Those kinds of questions can go.

I disagree with you that these are not useful, even with "I haven't seen it," as several of the answers. In addition to answers from people who have seen the movie, it gives the asker some feel for the popularity of the movie among GQ answerers, and that could have value by itself.

Clark
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.