Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Nikosu Oyama
Finland
Turku
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I am organizing a games event in the Turku Main Library 8.12. and think about holding a Carcassonne Marathon. Because I hope that new players would try out Carcassonne I am thinking about having a huge game of Carcassonne lasting for 5-6 hours. I was thinking to add together 5-6 basic sets of Carcassonne and then playing them one at a time, but everything would build the city larger.

Variant rules would include that each player has the choice to play either 15-20 minutes or 30-40 minutes. To reach this a player would get either half of cards or the normal amount. Then also a player would receive 3 or 6 meeples based on this choice. The score would be counted when the half-time players have run out of cards. Fulltime players could choose if they want to score then or continue until they are out of cards. They wouldn't get the scored meeples back. The player has to choose to score all of their meeples or none of them. To make the game faster I want to use the variant rule that you can look what is your next tile.

If at some point there would be less than 5 players in the game then the new players would get to play the colors that have the least points. The color would be randomized. In the end the color that has most points wins. Everyone who played on the winning team gets a chance to win a prize from the lottery.

What do you think of this variant?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jonathan Morton
Sweden
Vällingby
Stockholm
flag msg tools
Cool! It'll definitely draw people in to see the huge map being built.

Suggestions:

- don't let people choose how long they're going to play. Just give them 15 tiles each. When they run out of tiles, they're done. If there's no queue of people wanting to play, the player who has just finished can have another 15 tiles if they like.

- Start the first people with different numbers of tiles (say 12 - 15 - 18 - 21 - 24), to stagger when people are leaving.

- I wouldn't do any special intermediate scoring. When a person runs out of tiles their meeples stay on the board. And I wouldn't bother with farmers - they can confuse newbies in a normal game, never mind a huge game like this one

- don't call it a marathon. Marathons are not fun, not in the traditional sense and not in the Carcassonne sense

I'd love to hear how this goes!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nikosu Oyama
Finland
Turku
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Thank you for your critique.

I have also used a name Giant Carcassonne, maybe that is better to use as a name or just Carcassonne. Finns are enthusiastic about marathons. It's something that almost everyone would like to do atleast once in their lives. And also because the event is mainly for newbies I think that maybe it's not so bad to have marathon in the name. Well I'll think about it.

I first thought that there should be no intermediate scoring. But I am afraid that the game will get fairly complex if there's a lot of meeples (farmers) on the board. Also the scoring in the end will be very complex. And in my opinion people should have the chance to see how much they scored with their meeples. One option is to leave the farmer out, but as I see it the farmer is the most interesting piece on the game. If the meeples are left to the board after each player then the farmer rule becomes overwhelmingly complex. But I'd rather have intermediate scoring than leave the farmer out.

If there is no intermediate scoring then I could give seven tiles and 3 meeples to each player. And give them more if they want to continue and there is no queue. Because I think that 15-20 minutes of Carcassonne is more than enough for a newbie to try this game. Also because the event is held in library on regular hours there be a lot of visitors who are unaware that there is a boardgame event going on. Maybe if I can get them to play for 15 minutes they'll want to try something else too.

It seems that noone has tried to organize a similar event here in Finland. Open boardgame event for everyone, totally free and in public space. If someone has tried this out, I'd like to know!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.