Popular Tags: [View All]
Ernesto Cabrera
Mexico
Mexico
D.F.
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
First of all, let me point this out: I haven't played Starcraft yet. I'm eagerly expecting the box to arrive any time.

This thread is pointed towards all people that are apparently trying to make controversy with this game in particular. It's AT/Euro wars all over again!. So this is to calm things down a little bit.

I'm an AT fan (read the badge, duh), I like games with direct confrontation, story-telling, plastic miniatures, combat, fantasy/fiction themed. But that doesn't mean I hate Euros.

Everytime I want to crack open a beer and enjoy some blood spilling and mind-travel to another world, I get Drakon, War of The Ring, Heroscape or Arkham Horror and I spend some quality time laughing, biting my nails and enjoying a (intended to be) fun game. Not to mention this games also give me some satisfaction bringing some interesting, strategic plays.

When I want something that reminds me to the other side of my MTG-playing days: pure, raw strategy and clever, mind-burning decisions, I get something like Power Grid, Puerto Rico, San Juan, Cities & Knights of Catan...

The point is: People should stop trying to "analize" a clearly AT game (like Starcraft) with a Euro mind. The same applies to people trying to analize a pure mechanic game with an AT mind.

I like AT because of the fun they bring, I like some Euros because of the deep strategy they bring, that's why most of the time in my gaming group I bring different kinds of games (for example, the last time was Doom, Drakon, Citadels and Power Grid).

So please, people, stop trying to break this (and other AT) game(s) into analizeable parts. We AT'ers know (and I'm even afraid to generalize here) that most of FFG games are directed towards "fanboys" or people that only like huge, miniature-filled games, so please don't come and spoil what we think is one of the greatest game in the year (or don't do it just for the sake of it!)

PS: This is not against negative reviews on Starcraft, please do write them, but as most reviews should be, make them good
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Alexander E. Stevens
Latvia
Rīga
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I don't see why I have to justify what games I like to anybody. If I enjoy them, then I enjoy them. I play what I like and what I want, and one man's game is not better than mine just because he has more fun with it. I don't care what genre it falls into, because everyone's idea of genres varies. I remember when I liked alternative music because it was alternative to pop, now it has its own distinctive, cookie-cutter sound. Genres are not solid, rarely objective.

I'm not interested in people's persecution complexes or superiority complexes. Not interested in their self imposed diasporas, or their "proof" that one style of game is superior than another, or any such hardbitten, absurd attempts to make games anything more than an enjoyable past time. Games are for fun, and if I'm having fun with a game, that is all that matters. If they're having fun with theirs, I am glad, but I will not stop playing a game just because ten others thought it wasn't fun and demand I feel so as well.

So I am agreeing with you; obviously I feel these debates tend to be stupid by default. But what I am asking is, isn't it all futile? Why even bring it up? It only brings you into the fold of turning gaming into something annoying and ridiculous. Most people who make these stupid arguments don't want to reason this, because reason suggests that the argument is moot, rather than declaring either side right, and that just doesn't fly; there has to be a winner for them, and it has to be themselves.

Let's just play our games and laugh at those people.

[edit: silly minor typos.]
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Hugh G. Rection
United States
La Mesa
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
But....THERE WILL BE WAR!

Someone had to say it.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.