Homestead
Unspecified
flag msg tools
designer
Love Games, Love 'Em!!!
badge
Check out DiceTower.com!
mbmbmbmbmb
On March 26-29, I am going to be presenting at EARCOS (teaching conference) a presentation on using board games in the classroom. I don't know many other details than the date and location - KL, but I am planning on bringing in my entire family for a vacation. Of course, vacation time would also include jumping in on the gaming scene if I can - even if it's only for a short time.

So if you guys can let me know if you'll be available that week, and/or if you can give me tips on what my family would like to see in the area over that time frames. My kids range from age 6 months to eight years old, but I know little of what Malaysia has to offer.

Anyway, I'm excited to come back!

Tom Vasel

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Thumis Dalidalisa
Kazakhstan
Astana
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
My info is a bit dated but I would suggest:

Menara Petronas. The mall is like other malls but you can look up through the beautiful atrium, take your kids to the best outdoor playground in the world, and check out the Pertronas oil museum, which is kind of cool.

FRIM (Forest Research Institute of Malaysia) on the far outskirts of town used to have a canopy walk where you could walk on a cable bridge through the tops of the trees of a rain forest.

Malacca -- Requires a day trip: Beautiful old city. Check out the museum, St. Paul's Cathedral, and Juncker street. Make sure to try the special chicken rice they have in Malacca. Rice formed into balls.

Beaches within an easy drive of KL are best avoided. People go to China town but I say meh. Batu caves can be interesting but best if a festival like Thai Pusam is going on.

Finally, eat eat eat. Wonderful Chinese, Malay, Indian, and Nyonya cuisine all fairly cheap.

Next time budget more time and go to the East Coast, Cameron Highlands, or even East Malaysia, which is very nice.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michelle Zentis
United Kingdom
London
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Oh, man, Malaysia is amazing -- not only is it gorgeous and reasonably priced, but the people are super nice. My info's also a few years old. (Note to self: go back to Malaysia soon!)

Food throughout Malaysia is wonderful. If you get tired of Asian food, you can get great pizza all over the city (and no, not at Pizza Hut -- look for Italian restaurants). As of a few years ago, there was even a Nando's down by Chinatown for that real South African chicken experience.

I enjoy the night market in Chinatown, though it might be too crowded for the kids. It's an experience thing rather than a shopping thing, unless the authorities have managed to change it into something other than a sea of counterfeit/pirated goods. In the mornings there's also good, inexpensive dim sum to be found.

The Muslim Art Museum was really cool.

I'm not sure how you're set for vacation time, but if you have any way of adding time to your trip, it's well worth doing. Even if money is a big consideration, look into options -- unless things have changed dramatically in the last 5 years, Malaysia has some of the best safe travel bargains.

As mentioned above, Melacca (Melaka) is wonderful and has some of the best food EVER (if you have a fondness for coconut milk curry). It's a quick and easy road trip from KL -- there are multiple busses a day if you won't have a car.

As far as beaches and islands go, there are lots of options, though the ones I've been to would probably all involve a short plane ride (assuming you're not looking to spend several hours on an inter-city bus and then a couple more on a ferry). Langkawi was beautiful when I was there about 6 years ago. Lang Tengah was also incredible, although aside from diving there's not a whole lot going on, so you'd probably be better off at its larger neighbor island Redang (which my colleague visited and loved). Tioman Island was quite simply one of the most gorgeous places I've ever been (at least, it was about 15 years ago).

Taman Negara (the national forest) is supposed to be amazing, but it's time-consuming to reach, and I doubt you want to haul a 6-month-old through the rain forest.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ken Lee
Australia
Melbourne
Victoria
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Hey Tom... Are you interested in stopping by Singapore also? If you were to take a coach bus, we're about 5hrs away from KL, or a 45min flight.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
C.K. Au
Malaysia
Kuala Lumpur
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Hi Tom, Jeff from Boardgamecafe.net here. Hope you still faintly remember us! LOL

Give us a shout when you are here. We can certainly organize some gaming sessions and since you are coming with family, there are some really must-go places around Klang Valley (ie the KL area).

One is the Firefly Park which is not exactly in KL but not that far too. Watching the fireflies swarm around you at nite is a sight you'll never forget!!

http://www.fireflypark.com/

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Malaysia
Kuala Lumpur
Kuala Lumpur
flag msg tools
Hi Tom, great news!

Although we never did GAMECON2 (lost the sponsor), we did do GAMECON1.5 (aka mini-GAMECON) and really look forward to having you back in KL, albeit under a different organizer!

Some quick questions:
1. Could you give me the contact of the organizer so I could see if we could put up a promo booth at the convention itself to support your presentation?

2. Are the organizers providing you and your whole family with accommodation for the whole duration?

3. Can you confirm when you will be arriving and departing so we know the exact days you will be in KL?

4. How many in your family in total (for car transfer purposes).

I would more than happy to organize your entire stay here so you don't have to worry about anything!

Look forward to receiving your information.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jonathan Tang
Malaysia
KL
WP
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Thats great to hear, Tom.
Maybe we can organize a gaming session when you get to KL...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Scott Kirby
Malaysia
KL
Unspecified
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Good to hear you'll be back early next year!! I know a lot of the guys will try and arrange some games and events for you and the family.

Now I have to try and find out more about this EARCOS conference, since the talk you gave at GAMECON-1 helped to justify and convince the senior managers here about the inclusion of boardgames into my management classes. Now to look into Entrepreneurship-based games LOL.

Hope to see you all next year then...... ta ta

Right.......... Google.......... E...A...R...C...O...S...... *click*

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nicholas Leong
Malaysia
flag msg tools
mb
I think they have mostly covered where to visit and what to eat. I would say avoid the touristy places but visit just the usual landmarks such as the Petronas Twin Tower and the Telekom Tower.

Bargain hunt around Petaling Street, or go for branded shopping around the Bukit Bintang area. Eat the food at Jalan Alor and head over to PJ to visit its very own landmark, Toybox.

Lol just kidding, it will be great if we can play games with you at our premise but I am sure macedwin will be bringing you around the various gaming spots around PJ and KL.

But there are good food in PJ, pay a visit to SS2's Selera Makan for hawker goodness!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Marcus Lau
Malaysia
Petaling jaya
Selangor
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Well, hehe... Jalan Alor is also in-famous for other 'types' of entertainment (which charges by the hour *hint* *hint*) so I don't think it is a good idea to bring the kids there.

Toybox in PJ is a good idea. There are lots of little food stalls nearby there which sells food reasonably cheap (USD 1.00 for a plate of nasi lemak anyone?).

Also, Toybox has a lot of gaming space (see http://www.toybox.com.my). So there is never a shortage of tables there. Plus, it is only a skip, hop and jump away from the city center (and about 10 minutes from Mid Valley, where GameCon 1 was held).

If you prefer the seaside, head over up north to Penang Island (read more about 'the Pearl of the Orient' in http://wikitravel.org/en/Penang_Island). Penang has a few UNESCO Wold Heritage sites (old GeorgeTown with its prewar buildings, The Khoo Clan House, Blue Mansion etc.). There are also a lot of food stalls scattered all over Penang. Actually there is a couple around each corner. They don't call Penang, the food paradise of Malaysia, for nothing.

Other things to do in Penang - Botanical Gardens, War Museum, Batu Ferringi Beach, Snake Temple, Kek Loh Si Temple, Penang Hill (Hiking), Tanjung Bungah Beach, Youth Park, The Millionaire's Row, Francis Light's tomb, Anna's tomb (the girl who got jiggy with the Siam King, made famous in the musical 'The King and I') and much, much more. You would probably need more than a few days to see all of it. Penang is best seen on foot or on a rickshaw.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Aik Yong Heng
Malaysia
Kuala Lumpur
Wilayah Persekutuan
flag msg tools
Visit me @ aikyong.com!
badge
This is Bubbles the pig and his best friend is Panda!
mbmbmbmbmb
What? The great Vasel man gracing us with his presense? Sure we like to meet up! Looks like Edwin has already rolled out the red carpet for you so you'll be well taken care of.

Looking at the dates, it seems like its a wednesday to saturday thing so I guess night time gaming meetup will be more appropriate as some of us will be working. As for places to visit, your dates suggest that its better to stick to KL as other places like the beaches, hill resorts will take up travelling time. Not sure what places you've visited the last time you're here but there are shopping places, forest reserves within KL itself.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tom Vasel
United States
Homestead
Unspecified
flag msg tools
designer
Love Games, Love 'Em!!!
badge
Check out DiceTower.com!
mbmbmbmbmb
OK, here's some more clarifications, but again nothing is set in stone.

Here's the conference:
http://earcos.org/etc2008/

Here's where we will be staying
http://www.shangri-la.com/en/property/kualalumpur/shangrila

I'm thinking about adding a couple extra days for vacation time - maybe leaving on Monday or Tuesday. I'm not sure if I'll stay in the same hotel or not - it depends on pricing/availability.

I have five children: 8,5,4,2, 7 months (in March) and my wife, so we are looking for fun things especially for the children to do. Last time I was in Malaysia I saw very little other than the one huge mall (which was great, and I plan to do it again), but I would like to see more this time.

And of course, wouldn't mind some gaming.

Singapore is probably not going to happen this time. I know that it's not too far away, but I just want to concentrate on taking my family of 7 to ONE country at this point. I'm sure we'll do Singapore in the future. And if it's not that far, you can come the other way, right?

Anyone know of any good churches in KL for attending Sunday?

I know this is still 4 1/2 months away, but I'm really excited about this!

Tom

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nicholas Leong
Malaysia
flag msg tools
mb
Not a Christian but there are some nice churches around the PJ area. Which is not that far away from KL. I am sure KL has some good churches around. One that pops into my mind is St Xavier in Kelana Jaya and they are always packed.

Wow, thats quite a big group you have there. Shangri-La is an ok location, although you will have to either walk or take a cab to most of the places we suggested. It is not that far away from major shopping malls in the area.

However, the road in front of the hotel can be rather nightmarish during the morning and evening rush hours.

Our National Zoo is nothing to shout about but it is a good trip nevertheless. Children and animals always go well together. Or you could always visit the Aquaria located in KLCC.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Malaysia
Kuala Lumpur
Kuala Lumpur
flag msg tools
ok, party of 7 = more than 1 car.

my top 10 (not in any order)
---------------------
- twin tower (yea, they shot the zeta jones/connery movie here). 1 hour. this is connected to suria klcc but you will give this a miss unless you are looking for upmarket/designer stuff.
- petrosains (petronas science museum). 2-3 hours. great for kids. lots of things to do. sit on a bench and experience various magnitudes of an earthquake!
- royal selangor visitor center. 1 hour. see how pewter is made! you get to tool your own pewter as well!
- putrajaya. 2-3 hours. its about a 40-minute drive from kl, but well worth seeing the capital administration center, especially the beautiful mosque.
- melaka (day trip). 1.5 hours drive from kl, but worth the drive. historic city. antique shops.
- sungei wang plaza. forget the shopping malls as they have the same chain stores in all the malls anyway! more fun checking out 100s of local, independent stores selling everything from a-z.
- mage cafe & toybox. both eurogaming meccas in pj! best to game at night and we can put up some maxi kids games for the kids to keep them happy!
- islamic museum. 2 hours. very popular school trip venue.
- mid valley. this is where we held gamecon1. there is mega-kidz to keep your kids busy while you shop, and they will love the giant slides, maze, etc.
- food! food! food! yes, malaysia is all about food! malay food; chinese food; indian food... no trip is complete without it. breakfast, lunch, dinner, supper!

i can organize the cars, trips, etc - all you gotta do is say ok!

hotel wise, shangri-la will be at the 5star/high end. given that there are 7 of you, you may be better off at the ascott residences (opposite twin towers - near shangri-la anyway) where you could book a 2-room apartment for the same price.

let me know if you need some quotes, etc.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Marcus Lau
Malaysia
Petaling jaya
Selangor
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
TomVasel wrote:
Anyone know of any good churches in KL for attending Sunday?

I know this is still 4 1/2 months away, but I'm really excited about this!

Tom

Well, for Catholic Churches, there is St. Francis Xavier in Jalan Gasing (where I usually attend). There is an evening mass on Saturday and morning + evening masses on Sunday. There is also Assumption church nearby. And if you are in the Taman Mayang area, there is St. Ignatius Church in Kelana Jaya.

Then, there is also, a St Paul's Church near Amcorp mall. Glad Tidings (Assembly of God) in Section 13. A Calvary Church near my house in Section 6, PJ. A Methodist Church behind the EPF building in PJ. An Adventist Church, behind my house in Section 6. There is also a LDS Church in PJ New Town.

If you need more details, do contact me. I will provide you with directions to the nearest church of your choice.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
zippy grey wedge owner
Malaysia
Putrajaya
Wilayah Persekutuan
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmb
Yes, as macedwin said, shangri-la is quite high end. But earners of strong foreign currency usually find Malaysian 5-star hotels cheap. There is a likelihood that the Visit Malaysia Year 2007 will be extended into 2008. What it means is that there may be various 'tourist-y' events like the ones we've seen this year. You can do a search for "Visit Malaysia Year 2007" for an idea of what's been organized. So if you're lucky, there'll be something interesting happening during your visit which would be a nice bonus. Has anyone mentioned the butterfly park?

If you're coming to Putrajaya [my home turf], the administrative capital, you can drive or take the train. But having a car means it is easier to get around. If I'm not at work when you decide to hop over, I will happily show you around.

And of course, I'll be happy join the gang to game with you.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ian Tan
Malaysia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Will gladly bring you to a little CHAPEL of mine in KL. You like hyms?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John Kay
Canada
flag msg tools
I couldn’t help it but I like to post my comments even though I am half a globe away from Malaysia.

A hobby that illuminates the mind always reign superior over hobby that uses hand such as CCG (illustrators), miniatures (sculptors and painters) or hobby that uses mouth and facial expression such as role-playing games (actors, actresses and directors) or hobby that depends on senses such as watching movies and TV shows, listening to songs, wine-tasting or comics /manga-reading hobby with no real beneficial values to mental development or a hobby that involves physical movements of fingers and arms such as bowling and mindless button mashing on electronic gaming console like Xbox, Playstation and Nintendo.

Tom, as you have already mentioned in your article about fierce competition between board game cafes and internet stores in South Korea. Then you will find the same situation in Singapore (for example, Settlers vs Mind Café) and Malaysia too.

You are walking the same path that the Father Jesuits of European origins discovered when they stepped onto Japanese soil in the 16th century. A nation torn in civil strife.
The firearms introduced by the Portuguese caused major changes in battle tactics, climaxing at Battle of Nagashino where numerous ranks of samurai were mercilessly cut down by small number of arquebus units. The same is said about legions of CCG fan turning away from this hobby or exploring a new hobby, an event that I believe is happening in Malaysia, triggered when Singaporean’s Settlers and Malaysian’s Toybox are making their debut into Malaysia’s gaming scene.

The Japanese, even though they learned the secret of making firearms, never develop this technology further and this resulted in their country being forced to foreign intrusions as Commodore Perry’s black ships backed with powerful cannons sailed into Tokyo Bay.

A non-electronic tabletop gaming revolution is brewing in Malaysia and possibly too starting to spread to Indonesia, Brunei, Philippine, Thailand and even to countries such as Cambodia, Laos and Vietnam.

Even the Japanese’s Playstation “Eye of Judgment” is joining the fray by combining with German-style boardgames at Toybox and Macao could possibly be the future Asian Essen in this part of the world where the best of South East Asian Euroboardgamers meet with the best of East Asian Euroboardgamers in tournaments as Gen Con retreats to Australia.

Boardgaming is a very general term. Two main schools define them: American rich-theme style game play or German elegant-mechanic style game play.
And this time, I don’t think it is going to be an Anglo-Dutch treaty of 1824 revisited.

“May you live in interesting times”

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Shanizan Herman
Malaysia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
hi tom...
can u post a copy of your full paper for me. i'm also trying to do a research on boardgaming.

my email is shanizan@uum.edu.my

thanks.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Marcus Lau
Malaysia
Petaling jaya
Selangor
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
mv78 wrote:
hi tom...
can u post a copy of your full paper for me. i'm also trying to do a research on boardgaming.

thanks.

That's blant plagarism. Do your own research. Be original. When I was doing my Masters in Artificial Intelligence, some students were caught copying off some famous article. They were expelled. That was a few years ago.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Melissa
Australia
Parkville
Vic
flag msg tools
admin
designer
May you find the Perfect Shoe! xxx
badge
Mostly offline, but trying.
mbmbmbmbmb
friedricetheman wrote:
mv78 wrote:
hi tom...

thanks.

That's blant plagarism. Do your own research. Be original. When I was doing my Masters in Artificial Intelligence, some students were caught copying off some famous article. They were expelled. That was a few years ago.

I don't think that the OP was necessarily trying to copy Tom's article verbatim (plagiarism), but to see and reference what was said (literature review).

I would also be interested in reading the presentation.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Marcus Lau
Malaysia
Petaling jaya
Selangor
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
melissa wrote:
friedricetheman wrote:
mv78 wrote:
hi tom...

thanks.

I don't think that the OP was necessarily trying to copy Tom's article verbatim (plagiarism), but to see and reference what was said (literature review).

Umm.. judging by his email address, he's still studying in University Utara Malaysia (Northern Malaysia University) and he did say he's doing a research (most probably for a class thesis). If that is not plagiarism, then I don't know what is.

PS - I went to school in Minnesota, then after that did my Masters in the UK. My sister however wasn't inclined to get her bachelor's degree overseas so she did it locally at University Malaya. She complained to me that a week before assignments were due, students from her class would 'borrow' her assignment papers to take home to have a 'look'. When the professor handed back their papers after the semester, she saw that those students took her research paper and just copied off her. The papers were actually identical to hers' save for some structural changes to the sentences.

That's Malaysian students for you.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Melissa
Australia
Parkville
Vic
flag msg tools
admin
designer
May you find the Perfect Shoe! xxx
badge
Mostly offline, but trying.
mbmbmbmbmb
friedricetheman wrote:
melissa wrote:
friedricetheman wrote:
mv78 wrote:
hi tom...

thanks.

Umm.. judging by his email address, he's still studying in University Utara Malaysia (Northern Malaysia University) and he did say he's doing a research (most probably for a class thesis). If that is not plagiarism, then I don't know what is.

PS - I went to school in Minnesota, then after that did my Masters in the UK. My sister however wasn't inclined to get her bachelor's degree overseas so she did it locally at University Malaya. She complained to me that a week before assignments were due, students from her class would 'borrow' her assignment papers to take home to have a 'look'. When the professor handed back their papers after the semester, she saw that those students took her research paper and just copied off her. The papers were actually identical to hers' save for some structural changes to the sentences.

I don't know what field you are in, but in every field I have studied or worked in it is standard practice to do a literature review. That's where you read what other people have written, so you can respond to it in your work.

There is no evidence at all to support your accusations of plagiarism. Admittedly, there is no evidence that the Poster does NOT intend to plagiarise the paper either - but as far as I am aware there is still a general presumption of innocence.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Shanizan Herman
Malaysia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
friedricetheman wrote:
melissa wrote:
friedricetheman wrote:
mv78 wrote:
hi tom...

thanks.

i think you have been mistaken here, actually i'm a lecturer at UUM. i'm doing a research on boardgaming and i need want tom's paper coz i need to use that as a literature review. not to copy the whole thing. you might not aware of the situation in academic field coz to do a research, one need to have a full latest supporting literature. hope u understand and don't overestimate malaysian. i've seen a student worse than our people. please be more open minded
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tom Vasel
United States
Homestead
Unspecified
flag msg tools
designer
Love Games, Love 'Em!!!
badge
Check out DiceTower.com!
mbmbmbmbmb
Um guys? Could we argue about this somewhere else? I just started this thread to find interesting things in Malaysia.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
1 , 2  Next »   | 
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.