Popular Tags: [View All]
Jim Marshall
United Kingdom
York
North Yorkshire
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
When you abandon an army, you can either loot a town (place a neutral unit) or loot a unit (replace a faction unit with a neutral unit).

Does there have to be a town in the province before you can loot a town? (i.e. can you loot a town in the provinces of Utrecht or Namur, neither of which contain towns on the board?) I've assumed not (Namur presumably not being a desert), just wondering!

I could see the situation cropping up in Utrecht after one side has taken over with the help of an army or two.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Steve Bachman
United States
Colonie
New York
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
No, if there is no town in the Region, the abandoned Army must loot a Resource piece instead.

I've seen it occur in Utrecht more than once, and in Liege as well.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael
Germany
around Ulm
Ba-Wü
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
The rules say, an abondoned army must loot to the maximum extent possible.

What does this mean exactly?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Steve Bachman
United States
Colonie
New York
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
What this means is that you can not choose to not loot with an abandoned army. This would sometimes occur in regions where only the faction of the abandoned army are present (not too uncommon in region of Utrecht) or as part of dealmaking with the factions that might get looted.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael
Germany
around Ulm
Ba-Wü
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Thanks Steve for your answer.

To clarify: Maximum extent does not mean to replace one's token if possible instead of just putting a neutral into a town?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Steve Bachman
United States
Colonie
New York
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
If, for example, the Habsburghs had complete control of the region containing the provinces of Luxembourg and Trier, and were abandoning an army there, they could choose to add a Neutral to Trier (looting the town there) rather than replacing one of their own tokens with a Neutral (looting the piece). Even though the latter option is a more optimal play for them, they could choose either option.

However, in the Utrecht scenario, if the Catholics had complete control over that region/province, and were abandoning an army there, they would have to loot one of their pieces because there is no town in that region to loot.

Hope this helps clear it up.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael
Germany
around Ulm
Ba-Wü
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Thanks, Steve.

It is clear to me now.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.