Popular Tags: [View All]
David Etherton
Scotland
Edinburgh
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Michael and I moved on to the second scenario, Sainte Mere-Eglise. This time I had Michael help me with the setup, and it went much quicker. Michael was the Allies again; his airdrop netted him two more units but two others bounced off the board.

Our forces quickly converged near the hill where Michael was dug in. The majority of my forces were on both flanks and fortunately I had better cards this time and was able to mobilize effectively. Michael had the opposite problem later in the game because he had many left flank cards but his forces were elsewhere by that time.

We traded a lot of fire on his left and center flanks and I came out slightly ahead even though I'd misread the rules about sandbags -- their -1 to hit bonus is not cumulative with the terrain bonus for trying to hit something on a hill, so I'd been rolling only a single battle die instead of two dice.

I also got lucky in town at the center of the board -- my single unit there was whittled down to a single token but he rolled a double flag, allowing me to get well clear of the battle. In fact, I had two single-token units on the board for a long time in hard-to-reach places. We definitely need to think about the tradeoffs of trying to chase down a straggler.

I played a card that let me order all units on my left flank, which allowed me to deploy the other half of my forces in one operation. Michael had played a "Dig In" card earlier in anticipation of this (I had to go on line to verify that when units dig in, they cannot either move or fire that turn).

By now we'd gotten three kills apiece and the game could go either way at any time -- there were several turns where we both had awful rolls and couldn't hit the broad side of a barn. But then the dice went my way and I managed to take out a two-token infantry in close combat, achieving victory.

This scenario seemed a lot more balanced to me, although I'm still not crazy about the randomness of the air drop at the beginning of the game. A really bad drop can really cripple the Allies before the game even starts, in my opinion, because their basic forces are much more spread out.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.