Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
UA Darth
United States
Boca Raton
FL
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I enjoy the game immensely(though I can't find people willing to play with me!)... Are there any other 2 player game recommendations in the same vein with very little randomness?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Piotr Jekel
Poland
Torun
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
1960: The Making of the President is by the same designers.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dave Rubin
United States
Trenton
New Jersey
flag msg tools
badge
"It may be doubted whether so small a number of men ever employed so short a space of time with greater or more lasting effects upon the history of the world.” — Sir George Otto Trevelyan on the Battles of Trenton and Princeton
mbmbmbmbmb
hobb3 wrote:
1960: The Making of the President is by the same designers.

Well, there's a designer *overlap* between the two. That said, the two games do share many mechanics; I suspect those who like one will like the other. I think that there's *much* randomness in both -- managing the stochastic process is the game! :-D

If you can't find anyone to play with, try Bruce Wigdor's wargameroom.com -- both TS and 1960 are supported.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
UA Darth
United States
Boca Raton
FL
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Anything else? I prefer to play in person over online : )... Stuck with the wife : ).

1960 looks good.. I'll get it... just a bit easier.. which is nice.. might have a better chance with my wife.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Levin
United States
Cortlandt Manor
New York
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Here is a GeekList I read and enjoyed after first playing Twilight Struggle, having never played a Card Driven game before.

http://www.boardgamegeek.com/geeklist/19644

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
UA Darth
United States
Boca Raton
FL
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
it is a good list.. but I need games more accessible for my wife. What I like about TS is that it isn't very luck driven and yet has enough randomness to make it different every time. Need a little bit shorter and less complex game for the wife.

Wargames are generally not the solution to that : ).

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
pronoblem baalberith
United States
Pleasantville
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
designer
badge
Is it just me or do my balls itch?
mbmbmbmbmb
shadow9d9 wrote:
I enjoy the game immensely(though I can't find people willing to play with me!)... Are there any other 2 player game recommendations in the same vein with very little randomness?

In the same vein? Which vein? Area control, card driven, cold war theme... etc?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
brian
United States
Cedar Lake
Indiana
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
shadow9d9 wrote:
it is a good list.. but I need games more accessible for my wife. What I like about TS is that it isn't very luck driven and yet has enough randomness to make it different every time. Need a little bit shorter and less complex game for the wife.

What kind of games does she like now. What is "less complex" in her books? What does "short" mean for you? An hour? less?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
UA Darth
United States
Boca Raton
FL
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
pronoblem wrote:
shadow9d9 wrote:

In the same vein? Which vein? Area control, card driven, cold war theme... etc?

Lot of strategy, decently complex game without luck driven dice.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
UA Darth
United States
Boca Raton
FL
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
ColtsFan76 wrote:
shadow9d9 wrote:

What kind of games does she like now. What is "less complex" in her books? What does "short" mean for you? An hour? less?

An hour or so is ok. Games like Caylus and puerto rico are just about right as far as complexity, etc.. just need something more 2 player centric. Twilight is a little too long and calculating for her. President might be good as it is supposed to be a bit quicker and simpler.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Charles F.
Germany
Berlin
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I don't get the "very little randomness" comment. After all, TS has it's fair share of luck...

Anyway, Hannibal's a game of similar play time and complexity weight, while being equally rivetting. Hammer of the Scots comes also to mind. Of course, both of these have thematically nothing in common with TS, but I understand you're looking for wider game recommendations for those enjoying TS...

Of course, 1960 is the most obvious design to check out. A very fine design in its own right.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Josh
United States
flag msg tools
CHA was my dump stat
badge
Snob of the People
mbmbmbmbmb
Battle Line

Yep, it's nothing like Twilight Struggle except:
They both rule.
They are both by GMT Games.
They are both two-player.
They are both war themed, but the war is very abstract.
There is randomness (because they use cards) but better play will carry the day.
They are both examples of amazing game design.
My wife likes both, so I hope yours will too!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
UA Darth
United States
Boca Raton
FL
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
JoshBot wrote:
Battle Line

Yep, it's nothing like Twilight Struggle except:
They both rule.
They are both by GMT Games.
They are both two-player.
They are both war themed, but the war is very abstract.
There is randomness (because they use cards) but better play will carry the day.
They are both examples of amazing game design.
My wife likes both, so I hope yours will too!

Yes, I actually finally got a hold of Battle Line and it is sitting here right next to me : ). Took a while to finally get in stock... going to be playing it soon.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
UA Darth
United States
Boca Raton
FL
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
charlesf wrote:
I don't get the "very little randomness" comment. After all, TS has it's fair share of luck...

Anyway, Hannibal's a game of similar play time and complexity weight, while being equally rivetting. Hammer of the Scots comes also to mind. Of course, both of these have thematically nothing in common with TS, but I understand you're looking for wider game recommendations for those enjoying TS...

Of course, 1960 is the most obvious design to check out. A very fine design in its own right.

Which Hannibal.. it seems like there are many versions...

As for the randomness.. pretty much it means that I hate dice.. yes... I know TS has dice.. but it isn't as important as in most other games and cards can balance out some of the risk... I have the worst luck with dice... I could have 20 men attacking 3 in risk and I'll lose my entire army!

Less dice the better! Or have ways to balance out poor luck.

Game of Thrones is perfect for me as it has no dice rolls : ). Scots looks interesting.. but there is some concern about the dice : ).

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
UA Darth
United States
Boca Raton
FL
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I should also disclaim-

Carc: the castle is good.

Have but need to play- Tikal, Battle Line, jambo, Catan Card game, Babel.

Have tried and liked- PR, Tigris and uephrates, and Caylus, but they aren't that great 2 player. Love Game of Thrones but it really needs 4-5 players. Settlers of Catan is great with 3+. Carcassonne Hunters and Gatherers is ok. Love Twilight Struggle, but it is too complex/long for her.

Didn't like: Samurai(too simple), Jack, Dungeon Twister, Lost cities(too simple), Hera vs Zeus, and a few others.

Will be buying Race to the Galaxy(or something like that), 1960, reef encounter, and hive.. Agricola looks decent.

The main prob with TS is my wife... some people can't multitask/balance things well...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.