Canada
St Catharines
Ontario
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Re:Can you pass?
Gola (#50330),

The rules on BGG say that you can move Caesar to any laurel diamond on the board, which would be as good as a pass if you move it to the same diamond.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matthew M
United States
New Haven
Connecticut
flag msg tools
admin
8/8 FREE, PROTECTED
badge
513ers Assemble!
mb
Re:Can you pass?
mlvanbie (#50338),

Does it count as moving it if it doesn't move?

-MMM

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Joe Gola
United States
Redding
Connecticut
flag msg tools
badge
and everything under the sun is in tune
mbmbmbmbmb
I think I can answer my own question. The rules of the new Amigo edition read "Wer am Zug ist, muss sich für eine von drei Aktionen entschieden...." I gotta think that means "On your turn you must choose from one of following three actions." 'Muss' means 'must', no?

Regarding moving Caesar, if the rules read "you may take the Caesar token off the board and place it on any diamond," I might think you could place him back where he was, but as things stand I think that one can employ common sense and say that "moving" means "moving" and not "standing still."

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ender Wiggins
msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
The Mayfair rules state: "You may do one of three things during your turn" which a rules lawyer might argue means that doing an action is optional ("may"). On the other rand, they explicitly state elsewhere: "If you can't move a Senator, move Caesar." (no "may"!) It's true that the rules state "You can move Caesar to any laurel on the board", but it would be common sense that if Caesar is placed on the same laurel, he has not moved! In such a case the action being taken is called "Moving Caesar", so the intent seems to be that Caesar can not be placed on the same laurel.

As I read the rules, the intent seems to be that players do have to take one of the actions, and if they are not going to move a Senator, Caesar must be moved to a different laurel.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Miguel (working on TENNISmind...)
France
Caen
(from Valencia, Spain)
flag msg tools
designer
My latest game: Big*Bang, a simple abstract about the first minutes of the Universe
badge
My best-rated game: TETRARCHIA, about the tetrarchy that saved Rome
mbmbmbmbmb
And it creates more interesting tactic situations. Yesterday the other 4 players didn't want to let me enter the Senate AND collect 5 laurels, so they placed Caesar there. If I moved it away, someone moved it back!

But several times players had no other option but moving Caesar, so by being unable to move/place any senator they would have forced themselves to free my way. More clever things to consider than just "let's block him!"...

I'll play with "you cannot pass"!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ender Wiggins
msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
This question is now specifically addressed in the FAQ from the publisher, which confirms that you may not pass:
Quote:
Q: On my turn, can I just pass and take no actions?

A:
No. You cannot choose to do nothing on your turn. You must either move a senator, add a new senator to a bottom row committee, or move he Caesar token. If you cannot move any senators (because you cannot get votes or all your routes are blocked), and there are no openings in the bottom row committees, then you must move Caesar.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.