Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Jake Kiser
United States
Durham
North Carolina
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
So I finally got my copy, both because of the positive reviews here and my online run-ins with Dominic. (Hey Dominic -- I'm in Greenbelt every weekend -- got my copy at our local Target).

I was wondering if yall had any tips on making the game work.

By this, I mean that sometimes people need to be in the right mindset for party games. If you play Apples to Apples, and the judge looks at the answers in his hand, then quietly selects one, the game isn't fun. The game is fun when the judge makes a show about answers, maybe makes fun of one, and announces a selection. You get the picture.

I am worried that this game could turn out to be too dry if people are overthinking betting strategy? I have yet to play, so I could be way off.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
dave boulton
United Kingdom
etchingham
E. Sussex
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
my advice: ignore the timer

when we play we tend to liek to dicuss things alot, ok it probably never takes more than a couple of minutes for each answere or analysys of betting anyways, but the 1st few times I have played with a timer were rather staid sterile affairs as everyone was concentrating harder, without the timer people are alot more animated and easy going

with question posing stick to one person only (unless you are playing with exactly 7 teams or players then each person/team gets to read out one question and it will be easy to keep track of the number asked) or it can get confusing

the propossed idea of a questioner or compare for the game (if you will) has not worked for us the times we tried it, they felt left out even the egotistical loud mouthed ones and wanted to be playing, but I agree for the right sortov person this might be rewarding

finally and most obviously, dont take it too seriosuly (unless your group foolishly play for real money (heaven forfend!) and have fun!

Walker Red Eye
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
I will not rest until Biblios is in the Top 100. - Steve Oksienik
United States
Howell
Michigan
flag msg tools
badge
Well I been watchin' while you been coughin, I've been drinking life while you've been nauseous, and so I drink to health while you kill yourself and I got just one thing that I can offer... Go on and save yourself and take it out on me
mbmbmbmbmb
You're way off. Don't worry. W&W is fast and fun. There's not much betting strategy to worry about. Most of the questions are so obscure that nobody will know them, so just play it loose and fun.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
brian
United States
Cedar Lake
Indiana
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
What I tell everyone it's a trivia game - which usually makes half the people happy and half the people groan with nervousness. Then I tell them but you don't have to know anything about trivia to be competitive - which wins over half the nay-sayers right away.

I then tell them all the answers are in the form of a number like a year or a percentage. And all numbers are positive.

I then briefly explain the format: Read question, answer secretly, reveal all the answers. Then explain how they are alloted, and the special cases of duplicate answers. Then continue on with the betting phase and the limits (of chips for 1st Ed or stacks for 2nd Ed). And explain the payouts.

We don't usually use the timer during the question part because we rarely need it. On the first question after answers have been revealed, I go over the betting step one last time before turning the timer. The timer is a good idea here - even in the first few rounds - as it sets the quick-natured pace and let's people see the strategy of shifting bets at the last minute.

I also found that if you just get a game going, everyone will want in. And with it going so fast, it's easy to accomodate people before they get bored and wander off. I introduced this at Thanksgiving with my girlfriend's side of the family. They were reluctant to try it but we got 2 others for a 4-player game. By the 2nd question, everyone was gathered around and latching on to someone to help out. By the 2nd game, we had all 7 spots filled.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Randy Cox
United States
Clemson
South Carolina
flag msg tools
designer
1024x768 works just fine - Don't Wide the Site!
badge
Missing old BGG
mbmbmbmbmb
I say just play it as is but without the timer (I've never used a timer). However, don't have people discuss the question. I've played with groups who ask enough questions like, "I wonder if they mean the median or the mean when they used the word 'typical'?" Or, "Do you think they included Beatles releases after they broke up in 1970?" Discussions like this will KILL the game because some smart ass is either showing off or attempting to "lead the witness."

If you just plop down the game and have people start writing answers when the question is read, there's no need for a timer. Just as long as you kill the tabletalk until after the bets have been placed.

Great game.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dominic Crapuchettes
United States
Bethesda
MD
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
North Star Games designs party games that don't suck! Play them with your non-gamer friends over the holidays.
badge
First there was Hearts, then there was Spades, and now we bring you Clubs. The suit of clubs finally gets some respect!
mbmbmbmbmb
My favorite way to teach the game is to start with a sample question. Before reading the sample question I say something like:

"Wits & Wagers is not your typical trivia. It is VERY unlikely that anyone will know the correct answer. Instead, just make a wild guess and write the it on your answer card. Afterwards, you'll be able to bet on which answer you think is the closest. So let's just start and you'll see how it works."

Then I ask the sample question and continue to explain each part of the game as it comes up. Then, before starting the game for real, I let people know that it's ok to bluff about whether you know the answer and also to make fun of the other answers. Half of the fun is in the banter.

But every group probably has a different style that is most fun for that group.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
brian
United States
Cedar Lake
Indiana
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Maybe it's just me, but I don't think the questions are that outrageous. Doubtful I can get the "exact" answer in most cases but I get pretty darned close; and I have hit a few exactly or some been in the ballpark but "bid low" knowing I might have went over. I mean Balderdash has the questions no one can get. The trivia in W&W is "easy" compared to that game.

Or do I just know a lot of weird facts?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Randy Cox
United States
Clemson
South Carolina
flag msg tools
designer
1024x768 works just fine - Don't Wide the Site!
badge
Missing old BGG
mbmbmbmbmb
ColtsFan76 wrote:
Maybe it's just me, but I don't think the questions are that outrageous. Doubtful I can get the "exact" answer in most cases but I get pretty darned close; and I have hit a few exactly or some been in the ballpark but "bid low" knowing I might have went over. I mean Balderdash has the questions no one can get. The trivia in W&W is "easy" compared to that game.

Or do I just know a lot of weird facts?
You're right. I'd say that well over half of the questions are easily calculable for the groups I've played with. Of the remainder, half of those are dead-straight known by at least one (usually many) players (e.g. Kitty Hawk date or length of Cal Ripken's streak). That leaves something like 15-20% that are outrageous and you just make a guesstimate.

Still like the game, and not sure it would be better if it were Balderdash-ized, making all questions totally unknowable.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
brian
United States
Cedar Lake
Indiana
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Randy Cox wrote:
Still like the game, and not sure it would be better if it were Balderdash-ized, making all questions totally unknowable.

Don't get me wrong, I love the game and like the trivia just the way it is. I wouldn't want Balderdashed questions as then every answer would be a shot in the dark and betting would be purely luck.

I am just baffled when people make it out that the questions are so hard you aren't going to ever get them right. I have found the questions manageable. And even when we don't know the answer, we aren't scattered too far from the correct one (most times, at least!)

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tim Myers
United States
Salem
Wisconsin
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I got this for my brother (who is not a gamer) last Christmas and he loved it. We have played W&W with several different groups and it always goes over well.

We have never used the timer and have never had a problem with somebody taking too long answering the question or placing bets.

If somebody says that they do not like Trivia games I point out that, "They do not need to know the answer, they just have to know who would know the answer." Once they are playing they have a really fun time and we usually play several games during that session. The games also play pretty quick about a 1/2 hour to answer and bet on the 7 questions.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.