Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Court
United States
Mountain View
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I have been curious about this expansion and wanted to know more than the generic info available here and on the battlestations.info site.

Some folks out there must have this - how has it played? How are the rules for handling mercenary pirates? Can someone elaborate on how the missions play out or what they're like?

Anyone?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Court
United States
Mountain View
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Apparently, any folks who have acquired Pirates aren't BGG regulars, or have otherwise neglected to share their insights. Mmmm. Okay.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Graham Smallwood
United States
Santa Ana
California
flag msg tools
badge
TWO Equals in an "if" statement!!!
mbmbmbmbmb
deadeyedick wrote:
Apparently, any folks who have acquired Pirates aren't BGG regulars, or have otherwise neglected to share their insights. Mmmm. Okay.

At the top of my wishlist right now. I'm hoping for a few games with no reviews by the looks of it. I'll be sure to purely selflessly write stuff up for all of them. And not because I owe a burly man 15 geekgold.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Court
United States
Mountain View
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Yeah - I have added it to my holiday wish list as well and not so subtlety pointed my wife to my BGG listlaugh. Looking forward to a review though in the event it isn't gifted.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Greg Frank
United States
Walnut Creek
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I have only ran 1 mission out of this expansion so far, plan to run a couple more, before I give any opinions on it. But so far it seems really cool. The new loot rules and pirate hunter/pirate missions are really cool.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Alexander B.
United States
Austin
Texas
flag msg tools
mbmb
For me, it is the weakest expansion yet, but still worth getting. I hope this is only a blip down on the quality rather than a trend of the game swirling down the toilet

Again, it's ok, but there seems to be less content, the huge treasure section has very few unique ideas, and lot of rehash, the concept for the campaign is ok, but less interesting than the last two add-on books (which are quite amazing), worst of all the ship gazetteer seems like filler with very little value, and it just felt a bit scattered and unfocused to me: still a must have for BS fans though, but I just hope that things improve at least back to the prior level.

I also noticed a lack of ads for new stuff in the back of this book. It seems that several add-ons were canned, but they do still have one final official add-on advertised as coming (about making money), one unofficial add-on (horror), and one possible spin-off as Starfleet Battlestations. I was, of course, hoping for more "coming soons" rather than less
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Court
United States
Mountain View
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
That's a shame that it appears to be the weaker of the expansions. I really like the idea of the player's becoming piratey scavengers and stringing together some loose campaign around their struggles to make it rich, so I am sure I will still check it out when I finally get a hand on a copy.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andy Strauss
Brazil
Brasilia
DF
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I think the Gazetteer is one of the best parts. Especially when combined with http://www.nytecode.com/BattlestationsWeb/shipcreator.jsp

The quality of the book layout and images is lower than it's predecessors, but the content is still good.

I'm starting this campaign now, and will get more feeling as it progresses.

Cheers,
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Alexander B.
United States
Austin
Texas
flag msg tools
mbmb
By the time I open the book up and type the numbers in from the gazetteer, I could have just made the numbers up from scratch... really, if you can't quickly build a random ship in this game, you shouldn't be GMing it.

My problems include:

-More lifted from Weber's stuff than other expansions (I don't mind subtle stealing, but overt stealing is something that really sours me)

-The pirate aspect is very cool, but the chemical projectiles, hooks(!?), and other lame pirate trappings are really not for me at all. When I think space pirates, I don't think tricorns, hooks, peg-legs, or rum... 'nuff said.

-As noted, the graphic quality is down.

-The new treasure tables are 90%+ rehashes from older books... a little creativity for some actual new items would be nice.

-Diplomacy, while not bad as an option, doesn't do much for me.

-The campaign, while not bad and at least new, doesn't seem as inspired as the prior 2, IMO.

Still, this expansion is well worth getting! It's just a bummer that I do feel it is a notch down in quality in nearly every way.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Marc P
United States
Seattle
Washington
flag msg tools
badge
Gloomhaven is a great niche game
mbmbmbmbmb
I'm pretty new to Battlestations and most RPG-type games, but have been through 3 of the missions in this module. We discovered that it's pretty difficult to do any of the boarding missions with Level 1 characters. So we joined the UREF and are doing some contract work to level up before we get all nefarious again. I thought that the missions had some nice twists, and I do like the idea of Diplomacy. Maybe I'll write up our last mission...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Greycloak
United States
Fort Worth
Texas
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Quote:
-More lifted from Weber's stuff than other expansions (I don't mind subtle stealing, but overt stealing is something that really sours me)

Wow. Very funny that you say that, I was actually reading the HH series, and half way through Honor Among Enemies when I bought this expansion last month. I noticed the similarities right away, in fact I thought it was really cool while reading the book and thinking how I could apply things from there directly into our BS group's game. I had just assumed that both BS and HH had drawn from some common military sci-fi pool of knowledge.

Great series by the way :-)
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
joshua danley
United States
chino
California
flag msg tools
mbmb
I have had the most fun with this expansion so far...It takes the heroes out of the navy into a private ship which is cool...they have to pay for thier own repairs and such and have no clones..it's alot more tense and since the heroes keep whatever they steal it is more interesting in that they can cut their losses and leave whenever. the 'campaign' is kind of interesting with the players getting to choose between joining a pirate band or throwing them under the bus in exchange for a pardon and an assassins guild and pirate hunters chasing them around...I am having a blast with this one and recomend it to anyone who hasn't gotten it yet

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
joshua danley
United States
chino
California
flag msg tools
mbmb
I actually took the rehashed treasure as a plus..it was a consolidation of all the treasure items currently in the game..and some cool upgraded stuff......I really like the treasure tables

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.