Doug Adams
Australia
Oakleigh
Victoria
flag msg tools
badge
A fan of new Knizia games
mbmbmbmbmb
I tried the solitaire version of Agricola yesterday and scored 54. There were a few things I feel I could have done better, so I broke it out again.

This time I decided to pay more attention to my cards and set aside seven "potentials" that I'd try to squeeze into play.

During Phase 1 I didn't collect the clay and build a Fireplace, as I did yesterday. I decided to concentrate on my ploughing and sowing, to get that infrastructure going properly, and let the construction goods build up. For food at the end of Phase 1, I grabbed the four from Fish Pond, and took a Day Labourer action.

I got the Stable Boy into play early in Phase 2 (+1 stable for free when I build fences), which eased my wood burden. I grabbed ten wood and the reeds to expand my house by two rooms, then immediately bred over the next two turns to four family members. The large pool of clay became a Fireplace. The seven sheep late in Phase 2 became 12 lamb pies and one pet - we named her Flossy.

Now armed with a Fireplace, I grabbed early stone and dropped the Mill Stone on the table (+2 food when baking bread). A little more ploughing and a couple of vegetables saw tons of grain and carrots coming in. The wood was building up again, so it was time to begin fencing, which I split over several actions to get a free stable with each purchase.

The newly fenced pastures were quickly filled with sheep, boar and cattle. About half of them got eaten! I goofed with my fence construction, having 3 wood left over, but had cut myself off with surrounding ploughed fields. I had to drop a stable into my last empty space to avoid the penalty point.

The end game saw me grab the remaining clay and expand to my fifth room. That was quickly upgraded to a stone building. Dweezil, my youngest child, was added to the family. I had enough resources to drop the Half Timbered House improvement down (+1 point per room in a stone house), and employed the Chief's Daughter (+3 points for a stone house).

I had a ton of reeds left over, but not enough other resources to build the "Reed Seller" major improvement.

Score breakdown:
5 fields = 4 VP
4 pastures = 4 VP
4 grain = 2 VP
4 vegetables = 4 VP
6 sheep = 3 VP
4 boars = 2 VP
4 cattle = 3 VP
0 empty spaces
3 pasture/stables = 3 VP
5 stone rooms = 10 VP
5 family members = 15 VP
Fireplace = 1 VP
Half Timbered House = 5 VP
Chief's Daughter = 3 VP
Total = 59 VP

Happy with that for a second effort. I certainly left a point or two go - that unfenced stable was wasted, and if I'd juggled my resources a little better, I probably could have squeezed in the Well. Next game I'll try and get to 8 sheep and 5 boars for an extra 2 points.

I like the solo game, a fun little puzzler.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ludovic GIMET
France
SAINT JUST D'AVRAY
France
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Hi !

Please how long did you play ?

Best

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Doug Adams
Australia
Oakleigh
Victoria
flag msg tools
badge
A fan of new Knizia games
mbmbmbmbmb
Ludo le gars wrote:
Hi !

Please how long did you play ?

Best

Around 30 minutes.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.