Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Benjamin Parker
United States
Manchester
Connecticut
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I've read a few posts that refer to certain machines and their usefulness in cutting out cars/other game pieces with ease. My question is: Has anyone tried out the CraftRobo?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=x9eaL2yWP14

It's been used by a number of paper cutters (kirigamists) to cut out rather complex shapes (http://flickr.com/photos/enwhysee/sets/72157600902239977/), and also to score sheets. My friend and I were thinking of pooling our money and getting the thing to first score emblems/stats/and (maybe) text onto good cardstock, and then cut it out with nice rounded corners?

If anyone's tried the beast yet, can it stand to that sort of thing. If no, or if no one's tried it, does someone know and recommend a comparable machine? Thanks a lot...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Steve Sisk
United States
St. Paul
Minnesota
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Holy smokes that's cool! The demo says you can create your own templates for cutting, though (since it's a plotter) I'm sure they'd have to be in a vector format usable by the plotter. They show the cut paper being removed from a backing, is that a special paper that must be used (includes backing) or will it cut anything (up to a point I imagine). Also, will it cut vinyl sheets that are used for banners and signs?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jake Di Toro
United States
Virginia Beach
Virginia
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Just from a logical standpoint I'd sy that the backed paper was required. it only seems to be cutting through the top sheet of paper, and if the backing was not there, pieces would be falling off inside the device as it cuts.

In the subject of other materials it would need to be something that would go through your printer so that you could put the corner indexes on as well.

To me this looks more like something you would use for a self published game, not for print & plays or even prototyping.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Benjamin Parker
United States
Manchester
Connecticut
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Hey Sisk NY- Vinyl Sheets? I don't see why not.. glad you liked the thing!

Karrde - that's true, you would need material that would go through your printer I'd imagine. Or rather, I don't think there'd be a problem with drawing on the thing perhaps... if you're just printing out a game to play see how it plays, there's nothing wrong with that.

As far as printing through the paper though, the flickr set I linked has a number of pieces made from polypropylene, and they all go through, though I know of other people who only score the thing, leading me to believe that you can set the depth of cutting... pretty awesome

My friend and I were thinking of getting the pro (about thrice as much, but word of mouth says oh, so much worth it). Maybe that's a feature the pro has and the base doesn't?

In any case, over the spring, I'll have a steady job and hopefully soon thereafter, I'll be able to buy and try the thing out. I'll post a response on how the thing looks...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.