Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Andy M
United Kingdom
Norwich
Norfolk
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
And here we are again, THE ELITE OF NORWICH BOARD GAMERS, attending, to play games of great import, complexity and design. We put our heavyweight brains through high calibre gaming action, training ourselves to react to the tiniest flaw in our opponent's plans, ready to inflict the fatal blow. For this week... we shall... BUILD AIRSHIPS BY USING JUST DICE AND CARDS!

The game was called Giganten der Lüfte, which kind of sounds like a Pixies song title or something. Jimmy, Tom, Matt and myself set about this task, by rolling dice. White dice, red dice and black dice. By doing this we collected cards that enabled us to roll more dice. Or add points to the dice we just rolled. Or build airships. This was the point of the game, score points by building airships. So the more dice we rolled, the more dice we collected, the more airships we built and the fewer points Matt scored. It seemed a ponderous start, rolling a mere two white dice with low numbers on, picking up an assortment of bonus cards that assisted our progress. At this point it is quite unpossible to discern who is the greatest airship builder in the land. Also we had no idea what nation Jimmy was (turned out it was an old German one). So cards were accrued, and we built up our ability to roll higher numbers. We moved on to collecting red dice, and building airships. When you built an airship, you got awarded the airship token, which was very nice, and a great incentive to building airships, because you could pick it up and make airship noises (note: I have no idea what airship noises are). It gave you a bonus too. Sweet. Myself, Jimmy and Tom all built some airships, Matt just rolled dice and got compensation for not being very successful at it (if you failed to build an airship or card, you got a token that you could use to add 1 to your dice roll or if you collected 3 you could garner a 2nd go in a row). Jimmy then became the hoarder of many dice and built many airships. I took the approach of going for the Hindenberg, for which there were 4 stages of building (any player could contribute to any stage), and a big bonus if all 4 were complete. The game possibly turned for 2 reasons. One: I was first to get 2 black dice, and a +2 black dice bonus. Two: the game can end if you run out of smaller airships. There were only two more remaining, but one of them required a high roll with just white dice. Jimmy didn't have enough white dice to pursue this. After Matt failed again, I secured stage 3 of the Hindenberg. Things were hotting up. Jimmy saw what was going on and pounced to secure two black dice. But I was going to get one more chance at stage 4 to end the game. Tom rolled inconsequentially, Matt failed, and now was my BIG CHANCE!! I rolled dice, I counted dice, IT'S GOOD!!! I had secured stage 4 of the unwittingly doomed airship. The points were counted, it was a landslide. 26 to me, 17 to Tom and Jimmy, and an impressive 3 for Matt. Well done Matt, you tried your best.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jim Marshall
United Kingdom
York
North Yorkshire
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Did you enjoy it? (in terms of was it fun and worth playing)

It's a game I'm thinking of picking up if/when the international edition comes out.

I'm not expecting a four hour brain-burner, but something that's attractive, quick and fun with a mixture of light tactics and some probablility-based decision making.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andy M
United Kingdom
Norwich
Norfolk
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Yes, I did enjoy it. It is not something I'd want to play regularly, and it has a lot of the same elements as To Court the King (I'd rate them very similarly). It doesn't take long to play, your turn comes around very quickly and it has a high "PUNCH THE AIR / POINT AND LAUGH" factor.

I would say the game meets all your requirements!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.