SAKURA in KYOTO 2018 Back to Kansai
England
York
North Yorkshire
flag msg tools
admin
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
The new stub item is too empty. You need an explanation that "This is a stub. The publisher does not wish user-generated content on this entry. You can still add the game to your collection, rate and comment on it, but you may not upload photos, files or other items to this entry."

Users will think their browser is broken or the geek is faulty, otherwise.

Cheers,
jon.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Simon Hunt
United States
Roseville
California
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmb
An example of a stubbed out game. ninja

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Steve Duff
Canada
Ottawa
Ontario
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
EYE of NiGHT wrote:
The new stub item is too empty. You need an explanation...

Excellent idea. That explanation would really explain why an entry was so bare, if you ran across it.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
J
Canada
AB
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Definitely too stubby.

Support for alternate names needs to be added. Searching Soccer Tactics World turns up nothing right now. (It's under just "Soccer Tactics" right now.)

And it's a shame that you can't see average ratings, total plays, GeekBuddy analysis and all of that other useful stuff.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Lajos
Japan
Hachiouji
Tokyo
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmb
simonh wrote:
An example of a stubbed out game. ninja

H'm, I remember that I said in my original game comment that it was more fun trying to throw the wooden ninja stars into my own eyes than playing this game. That comment is now lost, of course. I also remember that the designer started to argue with me because I wrote that I hated the game.

On what (legal) grounds can someone demand that all content related to a game is removed from the database? Is this a copyright issue? Can someone explain, because I don't understand.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
England
York
North Yorkshire
flag msg tools
admin
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
rootbeer wrote:
Definitely too stubby.

Support for alternate names needs to be added. Searching Soccer Tactics World turns up nothing right now. (It's under just "Soccer Tactics" right now.)

And it's a shame that you can't see average ratings, total plays, GeekBuddy analysis and all of that other useful stuff.

I don't see why the original technical data is missing too. The year, the designers, the publishers, even a limited summary.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Randy Cox
United States
Clemson
South Carolina
flag msg tools
designer
1024x768 works just fine - Don't Wide the Site!
badge
Missing old BGG
mbmbmbmbmb
What's this stub stuff? I don't see any pinned announcement about half-games or whatever it's supposed to be. What exactly is Ninja Galaxy and stubs?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matthew M
United States
New Haven
Connecticut
flag msg tools
admin
8/8 FREE, PROTECTED
badge
513ers Assemble!
mbmbmbmbmb
EYE of NiGHT wrote:
rootbeer wrote:
Definitely too stubby.

I don't see why the original technical data is missing too. The year, the designers, the publishers, even a limited summary.

I believe that information will be returned in a bit - the current stubs are place holders and the rest will be reinstated shortly. In the meantime we have other things we're taking care of.

As for some explanation, all we'll say on the BGG side of things is that we've complied with their request and are happy to be done with it.

-MMM
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
J
Canada
AB
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Randy Cox wrote:
What's this stub stuff? I don't see any pinned announcement about half-games or whatever it's supposed to be. What exactly is Ninja Galaxy and stubs?

See http://www.boardgamegeek.com/thread/251111

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Lajos
Japan
Hachiouji
Tokyo
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmb
Koldfoot wrote:
Lajos wrote:

On what (legal) grounds can someone demand ......
Anyone can file a claim in court.

Anyone can file a claim about any stupid thing they want.

The court may dismiss it in short order, but you are forced to hire a lawyer and play the court game. If you don't want the weight of the court coming down on you, you may need to shell out a couple thousand dollars to defend yourself against the weakest of complaints.

Even if you pay a lawyer to defend against a frivolous lawsuit you may still lose.

It is easier and cheaper to bow to bullies than to go to court.

Wow. If that's an accurate summary of the American legal system, I'm extremely happy not to live in your country...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
C Lloyd
United States
North Reading
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I'm all for the stub explanation for multiple reasons:

1) As mentioned above, so that you know the entry/database isn't broken.
2) So I'll know to stay away from games published by companies like this. yuk
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Steffan O'Sullivan
United States
Plymouth
NH
flag msg tools
"All history is made up. Good history is made up by good historians; bad history is made up by the others." -David Macaulay
badge
"The longer life is, the more it will be old age." Ursula K. Le Guin
mbmbmbmbmb
Lajos wrote:
Koldfoot wrote:

The court may dismiss it in short order, but you are forced to hire a lawyer and play the court game. If you don't want the weight of the court coming down on you, you may need to shell out a couple thousand dollars to defend yourself against the weakest of complaints.

Even if you pay a lawyer to defend against a frivolous lawsuit you may still lose.

Wow. If that's an accurate summary of the American legal system, I'm extremely happy not to live in your country...

Well, it does read like a cynical response, but ... "No matter how cynical you get, you can't keep up." -Lily Tomlin
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
The Grouch
United States
Tucson
Arizona
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Koldfoot wrote:
Lajos wrote:

On what (legal) grounds can someone demand ......

-------------------------------------

The loser in question will always be a loser. Perhaps he deserves our pity instead of our scorn. (No names used, you will note.)

Maybe we should start a BGG Legal Defense Fund?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rich Croton
United Kingdom
Reading
Berkshire
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I hope someone has instructed Stein-Thompson Games to remove the Positive BGG reviews from their website for Ninja Galaxy. If they don't want any reviews of their game on BGG, they shouldn't be using a former BGG review to advertise their game.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
C Lloyd
United States
North Reading
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
How would that work? Would the people who actually wrote the reviews need to request that, or could (theoretically anyway) BGG ask them to take down any content that was borrowed from their site? Just wondering.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rich Croton
United Kingdom
Reading
Berkshire
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
If the original authors withdrew their permission, they would be obliged to remove the review. The fact that they make reference to BGG means that the admin here should be able to request that they remove all reviews which were originally on this site. If they refuse, they should find it difficult to enforce the removal of reviews on this site.

Please note the use of 'should', not 'can'. International copyright law sucks!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Scott
United States
denver
Colorado
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb

"The peculiar evil of silencing the expression of an opinion is, that it is robbing the human race; posterity as well as the existing generation; those who dissent from the opinion, still more than those who hold it. If the opinion is right, they are deprived of the opportunity of exchanging error for truth: if wrong, they lose, what is almost as great a benefit, the clearer perception and livelier impression of truth, produced by its collision with error. ~John Stuart Mill, On Liberty, 1859

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dave Duffield
United States
Indianapolis
Indiana
flag msg tools
I agree with Jon, the new stub is far too stubby.

I can accept that Stein-Thompson is unhappy about many things that have been said about them, but they should not be able to bully BGG into removing ALL content about their titles. I don't pay to support a database website for "games with pleasant publishers". I pay for a website with ALL the games listed.

While a difficult publisher would make more work, I think a much better reaction would be to patiently wait for each request for content to be taken down. Then, if each request was within reason, to comply. A request for ALL pictures or files to be removed is not reasonable. Yes, it's a PITA to do this, but it preserves the integrity of what BGG is... a database about ALL board games.

I guess if the admins really want to be lazy, I can see locking the pictures and files sections so no NEW content could be added, but a request from a publisher to remove ALL files and images is silly and should be rejected.

Dave

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
England
York
North Yorkshire
flag msg tools
admin
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
We've been told elsewhere that the new stub is just a placeholder for now. It will be improved with some extra data, but very little.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
A L D A R O N
United States
Cambridge
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
A L D A R O N
badge
----[---->+<]>++.+++++++++++.--------.---.>-[--->+<]>---.---.-.
mb
See: http://www.boardgamegeek.com/article/1917004#1917004

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.