Deacon
Canada
Ontario
flag msg tools
badge
Love thy fate.
mbmbmbmbmb
Hi,
I'm very interested in buying my first American Civil War game.

Can anyone recommend a good ACW game that is hex and counter based, and that can be easily adopted by an avid WWII hex-n-counter gamer?

Thanks for your time.
D

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brad Miller
United States
Seattle
Washington
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
A House Divided

Not hex and counter, but a good introductory ACW game.

Then you go to For the People
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jeffrey D Myers
United States
Albuquerque
New Mexico
flag msg tools
"Always rely upon a happy mind alone." Geshe Chekhawa.
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Strategic, operational, tactical, or single battle?

On the lighter side for single battles, I highly recommend Across 5 Aprils, which is OOP but fairly reasonably priced.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Lance McMillan
United States
Lakebay
Washington
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
I'll second the nomination for "House Divided." Great game, and the only ACW game I play with any regularity.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Guy Riessen
United States
Sebastopol
California
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmb
If you are an avid wargamer already, you should definitely give The Gamers' (MMP) Civil War Brigade Series or Regimental Sub-Series games a go. A Fearful Slaughter: The Battle of Shiloh is fantastic and each of the CWB games I've played have been great. The orders system makes it a fantastic look into CC&C. Keep in mind that these are fairly complicated games, but I think they are definitely worth the learning curve.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Lee Williams
United States
Raleigh
North Carolina
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Looking at your game list, I would suggest Glory III from GMT for a good hex and counter game:

Glory III

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sami Nurmela
Finland
Turku
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Here's my 2 eurocents worth...

If you are looking for single battles, Across 5 Aprils and Gettysburg (125th Anniversary edition) are great for quick and simple play. West End's South Mountain / The Battle of Shiloh / Chickamauga are a bit more complicated and share an ok system. For heavier stuff still the Gamers' Civil War Brigades series is pretty good.

For larger scale I'd recommend the Joe Balkoski's series like Lee vs. Grant, Stonewall Jackson's Way, Roads to Gettysburg etc.

Hmm... most of these seem to be from 80's. Guess I haven't been playing ACW lately blush
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
William Boykin
United States
Texas
flag msg tools
badge
For BJ.....
mb
Joining in the choir-

The best BATTLE game that I've played is Columbia's "Gettysburg; Badges of Courage". Its the best game for the battle of Gettysburg out there, INMHO. Plays reasonably quick, nice and historical, but not a 'beer and pretzel' game either.

Darilian

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
flag msg tools
EBay to find the really good old ones is in order.

Tactical - get Stonewall: The Battle of Kernstown, March 23, 1862, an S&T game - can be had for a few bucks.

If not that, Pea Ridge: The Gettysburg of the West March 7-8 1862 is great - it is on of my first and got me hooked on regimental level games.

SPI's Pea Ridge is, imho, the best of all the GBACW games made. It is an interesting situation - meeting engagement, with one side offending early, the other late.

The GMT regimental level games all originate from the SPI games, but nothing really like them exists as a low risk buy.

Pea Ridge and Stonewall can be had for not more than 15 dollars each.

If you get hooked, you will want them anyway, so go ahead and get them

Across Five Aprils is a bit pricey on eBay, and you might not like the 'bumper car' antics of ZOCs and one fire chit per turn draws. It makes it kind of broken, IMHO, but it does work, and is easy as pie to get into.

------------

Boykin, that Columbia Gettysburg game looks interesting - this old hand might have to get that.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Stephen Harper
United States
Maricopa
AZ
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Stonewall would be a very good first game, with low unit count, small map, but full set of GBACW rules.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
flag msg tools
Yeah, if you get into ACW, you have to own The Civil War, but introductory it is not. Being an avid WW2 guy, and based on your collection, you will find it not difficult at all, and very rewarding.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ken Feldman
United States
Seattle
Washington
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Looking at your profile, I would say the Great Campaigns of the American Civil War games by AH and now MMP would be right up your alley. They cover the big eastern theater campaigns at an operational level (one turn equals a day and the unit counters are divisions with some brigades).

Although out of print, several of them can be found regularly on eBay for fairly low prices:

Stonewall's Last Batttle (Chancellorsville) and Stonewall in the Valley (1862 Shenandoah Valley campaign) come up frequently for less than $30. Not the best games in the series, but good to learn on.

Grant Takes Command (1864 Overland Campaign) usually goes for $50 to $60 unpunched, and is also pretty common. One of the best games in the series.

Here Come the Rebels (Antietam) comes up less frequently, but goes for $50 to $60.

The others are rarer and more expensive.

I'm looking for a player's copy of On To Richmond btw. If anyone reading this is looking to sell or trade their copy, please contact me.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.