Hide
11 Posts

BoardGameGeek» Forums » Gaming Related » Recommendations

Subject: 2 player that can be played alone` rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
United States
flag msg tools
All right guys - brand new here. Never played RPG since junior high when a guy showed up in costume and I hit the door - but I love the concept a game that builds on itself. I feel like I am looking at the chinese section at the grocery - I know the stuff tastes good, but have no idea what I am looking at. So here's what I like and let me know what you recommend:
Dice (cosmic wimpout, yatzee etc)
Risk
Stratego
War/fighting interest

my experience is limited to dusty games friends reluctantly bring out after a rather embarrasing plead.

Battlelore, Memoir '44, Battleground, Axis and Allies all look really intersting, but you cant get a feel when you havent played them.

I am looking for a game that is good for two players (cause my wife and most of my buddies think I am a dork for liking these games) and one that I could play by myself with interest (like Yatzee - more fun with others but good to pass the time alone too).

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Alfonzo Smith
United States
Long Beach
California
flag msg tools
designer
Vie by Victory Point Games
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
The Awful Green Things From Outer Space
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
T. Nomad
Netherlands
Den Bosch
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Check out the selection tool:

http://www.boardgamegeek.com/geeklist/item/445472#item445472

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Richard Adkins
United States
Toledo
Ohio
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Greetings,

Welcome to the geek!

Assuming that you want to start out simple and based on your ststed desire for something like Yahtzee ....

Can't Stop
Cosmic Cows
To Court the King

...are the three that come to mind first. Can't Stop is my favorite of the three.

Good luck and happy gaming!

Rick

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michelle Zentis
United Kingdom
London
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Hi! If you're willing to branch out a bit and try out new game genres, you might give Ingenious a try. It plays 1-4 well and might convince others you're not as dorky as they thought!

There's also another thing you could try, i.e. creating a forum post asking about game groups in your area. Your profile doesn't say where you are in Ohio, but there are roughly 10 gazillion gamers near Columbus, and plenty scattered around the rest of the state as well. This would give you the opportunity to try out all new games with people who might respect your dorkiness.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Guy Riessen
United States
Sebastopol
California
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmb
alfonzos wrote:

Absolutely! This one is great with 2 or solitaire! The unknown effects from the "weapons" makes it always interesting.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
flag msg tools
I have acutally picked up cant stop for the family for christmas.

The recommondations I am looking for are really for a game for the next step in gaming. I was looking at Battlelore and Memoir 44 - the strategy and game that is much deeper than the typical party game. Problem is I have one friend that is willing to give it a go, so I need on that is good for 2 players. Since I am new to this, one that I could play alone to really figure it out would be a HUGE bonus. I read in one of the forums that Memoir 44 could be played solo.

Any ideas on these? (I do like dice, there's just something about them)

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
flag msg tools
That tool was great:
Arkham Horror and Runebound both seem perfect - any suggestions on either of these?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matt Tonks
United Kingdom
Bedfordshire
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
kkuhnell wrote:
That tool was great:
Arkham Horror and Runebound both seem perfect - any suggestions on either of these?

Suggestions? Yes. Buy them both.

Or at least buy Arkham Horror first, then Runebound later if you still fancy it. Arkham is the superior of the two. You should be aware that it's also a fiar deal more complex, but not too complex!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Gregg Prendergast
United States
Newton
New Jersey
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
If you are into war games, try Duel in the Dark. It's made for 1 or 2 players.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
flag msg tools
I noticed Runebound is listed as 2+ players - is there variant rules for single player or an easy adaptation?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.