Popular Tags: [View All]
Sean Ahern
United States
Spokane
Washington
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
We played our first game of QN and we all agree, we like it very much. A few rule questions came up and I think we settled them correctly, but I want to make sure:

1) Alchemist - Does it change a 3 Diamond Card into a 3 Ruby/Emerald Card or does it change 1 of the Diamonds from the 3 Diamond card into a Ruby/Emerald. We reread the rules and I'm pretty sure it changes the whole card, but I want to make sure. There's a () in the middle of the sentence which makes thing a little less than clear.

2) My wife played the King with a 3 Diamond Card. She then played the Alchemist to change that card into a 3 Ruby card (see 1 above). She didn't have any more Diamond cards. What happens:
a) The King applies to the Diamonds.
b) The King applies to the Rubies.
c) The King doesn't affect anything because it's no longer played with a gem.

We all agreed on a), because b) is waaaay too powerful and c) actually never occured to us until I started typeing this.

Anyways, despite the questions about a few rules we all really enjoyed the game and highly recommend it. I'm looking forward to a second game where I can avenge my last place finish (almost won it all though!)

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
bruno faidutti
France
PARIS
flag msg tools
designer
Re:Rule Questions: Of Alchemists and Kings
BookandGame wrote:
We played our first game of QN and we all agree, we like it very much. A few rule questions came up and I think we settled them correctly, but I want to make sure:

1) Alchemist - Does it change a 3 Diamond Card into a 3 Ruby/Emerald Card or does it change 1 of the Diamonds from the 3 Diamond card into a Ruby/Emerald. We reread the rules and I'm pretty sure it changes the whole card, but I want to make sure. There's a () in the middle of the sentence which makes thing a little less than clear.

You are right, it changes the whole card.

2) My wife played the King with a 3 Diamond Card. She then played the Alchemist to change that card into a 3 Ruby card (see 1 above). She didn't have any more Diamond cards. What happens:
a) The King applies to the Diamonds.
b) The King applies to the Rubies.
c) The King doesn't affect anything because it's no longer played with a gem.

We all agreed on a), because b) is waaaay too powerful and c) actually never occured to us until I started typeing this.

Yes, a is the right answer

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dave Sawyer
United States
San Jose
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
Re:Rule Questions: Of Alchemists and Kings
BookandGame (#50563),
For 1, we play as you say, the whole card is changed
For 2, we play as you did, the king stays and still affects the original gems. From our group (c) was immediately proposed by those affected. After all, the king card does say it must be accompanied by a gem card. But, I think (a) fits better. The king still forced a discard of diamonds so those couldn't be kept for later which is why the rule is there. The rule is not there to weaken the power of Alchemist.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.