Popular Tags: microbadge_design [+] [View All]
Kilgore Trout
England
Forest Hill
London
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Hello fellow Geeks

With my ill gotten geek gold gains I wouls like to design some microbadges to announce I have arrived and to irritate and amuse others. Can anyone give me some tips on how to design a microbadge? I'm keen to do it with free software rather than buy one of those photoshop programs.

Thanks
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Herb
United States
Georgia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Microbadges are only 16x16 pixels. And they are static...

You could MS Paint.

What operating system are you using?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kilgore Trout
England
Forest Hill
London
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I use XP. I've tried MS Paint but my efforts look worse than a Basquiet painting. Is there some way I could use a JPEG and reduce it?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Duffy Carter
United States
McKinney
Texas
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
There's a favicon generator at http://www.chami.com/html-kit/services/favicon/ which can sort of be used as an image size reducing tool. It outputs, based on .jpg or other image format inputs, an icon file for use in web browsers. This won't work for a microbadge without some conversion, but in addition to the icon file, the generator provides a 16x16 pixel .png preview of the icon. You can submit .png's as microbadges. Its far from an elegant solution and pretty limited without further tools to refine the image. But, it does have decent image reduction, and that may be what you need.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Herb
United States
Georgia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Akhnaten wrote:
I use XP. I've tried MS Paint but my efforts look worse than a Basquiet painting. Is there some way I could use a JPEG and reduce it?

MS Paint has a "resize" feature....

image - strech/skew

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kilgore Trout
England
Forest Hill
London
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Thanks for your suggestions - I'll give it a go. I'll be sure to contact you when my first designs are for sale. NB - they will be in poor taste.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Herb
United States
Georgia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
If you have MS PowerPoint you could do some design there, take a screen shot, and use MS Paint to reduce to 16x16 (or some photo editor..) and touch it up...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.