Popular Tags: [View All]
Evan Champie
United States
Eureka
CA
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
the fact that defenders "win" if a unit survives the battle?

I mean c'mon people... The attacker picks where to attack, does his best to bring a direct counter to the defenders stationed there, brings maximum 2 units more than the defender, sets up the most unfair skirmishes possible, and then draws 3 times more combat cards. This assuming it's not a golden mobilize, in which case he draws 5 times more cards AND gets +1 strength for the entire battle.

The defender... draws one card. And usually has less units, and therefore no support units.

Is it too much to ask that if this overwhelming force is not enough, that you should force him to use (gasp) another mobilize???

If you have a critical objective to attack, it's definitely worth the it to set up a second Mobilize as a fall back. Watch that smug grin melt off their faces as the traditional after-Mobilize Build order resolves to be the Mobilize that wins the game. Try to teach your opponents this the hard way!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Scott Lewis
United States
Thornton
Colorado
flag msg tools
NFHS Football & Basketball
badge
Dread Our Coming, Suffer Our Presence, Embrace Our Glory (Solonavi War Cry)
mbmbmbmbmb
I like it. I like it a LOT. The rules definitely promote aggressive strategy via rewarding the attacker, but it needs a counterbalance like this to make trying to hold a planet possible and strategic, even if difficult.

The game would be much lacking if they removed this.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Indiana Jones
Canada
Vancouver
British Columbia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Scuzball wrote:
Am I the only one who likes... the fact that defenders "win" if a unit survives the battle?

As Protoss with a need to defend early, I love it.

Sure, Protoss units are expensive - but the 3 card defensive shields helps out.

Otherwise, without this rule, everyone would be losing ground too much.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nick K

Tucson
Arizona
msg tools
I love this rule. I like that on defense it make you line up your combat cards asymmetrically it doesn't matter how many units die as long as that one unit holds out.

On attack you try more to balance out your attack values since you have to kill everything.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Owen Sieber
United States
McMinnville
Oregon
flag msg tools
I'm looking forward to having some real talk with some real folks!
badge
Hi, I'm Matt, A radar technician.
mbmbmbmbmb
It has to be this way to keep the balance of the game... you kill them all or you fail... makes sense to me... angry

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Just call me Erik
United States
Waldorf
Maryland
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
model359 wrote:
It has to be this way to keep the balance of the game... you kill them all or you fail... makes sense to me... angry

I like it a lot, and it maintains the PC game's spirit to an extent. Wipe them out. If you didn't, you have to retreat and try again.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Aaron Tubb
United States
Fuquay Varina
NC
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
unixrevolution wrote:
model359 wrote:

I like it a lot, and it maintains the PC game's spirit to an extent. Wipe them out. If you didn't, you have to retreat and try again.

Yes, this is major in RTS games. You can bring your huge force to their base and kill everyone but a single defensive turret before your force is depleted and you have to build up and attack all over again.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Note that the defender has further advantages:
- Reinforcement cards which work in the own base / Air Support module.
- Retreats Assist units before attacker retreats surplus units.
- Knows when the attacker plays reinforcement cards.
- Assigns support units last.
- A defending Protoss player draws 2 cards.
- Stasis field (Arbiter) can force the attacker to retreat.
- Zerg: A defender's Queen may force the attacker to reveal the cards (Parasite), and a Defiler may consume a Zergling to force the attacker to form unwanted skirmishes.

...but also note that the defender retreats if both players have only assist units (-> attacker: kill everything but assist units).
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Stefan Sasse
Germany
Waiblingen
Baden-Württemberg
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
You're right with that. Both sides have advantages, but I still think the attacker has more. There are rare situations where the defender has more supporting units to place than his assist-units.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.