Subject: Big question is anyone playing the game ? rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Jay Duval
United States
Unspecified
Unspecified
flag msg tools
My question is, is anyone actually playing the game? If so how good is the game and how hard do you think it would be to convince, miniature gamer, (wh40k, whfantasy, Ikwarmachine) type of guys to try it ?

Last time i tried to convince some of the guys to play battleball they kind of sneared and said it was a blood bowl rip-off. My answer to that was battleball only costs 20 dollars, the game play was actually more enjoyable but, they had no interest in even trying it.

I think Wizkids has created a rift btwn avid miniature game players and the prepainted lite wizkids type of games. I honestly believe the rift is more of a money issue then a gaming issue. The people who spent alot of money on games like warhammer don't even want to acknowledge the lower price games no matter how much better they may be.

My problem is the so called lite games are tons more fun then games like warhammer,(less arguing anyway) and you don't have to spend 300 dollars and 80 hours painting just to play. Of course finding others who feel the same in this GW world is the hard part.

So what do you think ? Is Heroscape the bridge between hardcore miniature players and wizkids followers, is it fun enough to convince at least a couple of hard core miniature gamers to try it? If I bring the game to my local gaming club and set up the terrain do you think people would be interested enough to give it a whirl?

Thanks for your responses

Xasher

p.s. I found a copy at my local Walmart 8-24-04

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dave Nadig
United States
Lenox
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
mb
Re:Big question is anyone playing the game ?
Xasher (#50858),

Honestly, I don't think the hardcore mini guy is going to play this a TON - but I imagine he'll buy it for the terrain.

It's a FABULOUS bridge game though - to work people up from something like Heroclix or Epic Duels.

It's not designed to replace your 2000 point 40K army - thats not the point.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Talarius Dunedain
United States
Unspecified
Unspecified
flag msg tools
badge
Hellboy!
mbmbmbmbmb
grot (#50860),
I'm a hardcore mini guy, and I wouldn't buy it for the terrain. I was at GenCon and I found the terrain and the mixed genres to be quite a turn-off; although to be fair, I think as a 12-year old boy I would have totally been into it. I wouldn't hold my breath over this game sucking in the GW crowd.

On the other hand, I've never been adverse to playing a game if it genuinely looks fun. This one just didn't grab me.

I think the original poster really hit the nail on the head about $$, GW zombies and fun factor. You can spend way less on games and have way more fun outside the GW world. I've definitely changed my gaming habits over the last 2 years and play many more boardgames and card games (non-collectible) than I used to.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dane Peacock
United States
Stansbury Park
Utah
flag msg tools
badge
That tickles
mbmbmbmbmb
Xasher (#50858),
"The people who spent alot of money on games like warhammer don't even want to acknowledge the lower price games no matter how much better they may be."

AND they don't want to acknowledge that actual game play in games like Warhammer is BAD, and that gameplay like that has turned many people away from GOOD miniature or tactical games.

Not to beat too strongly on Warhammer because there is quite an appeal to Immersing oneself into a well developed world, Collecting, painting, and creating armies. It is fun, addictive, and rewarding, but the actual game play is pure tedium.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Truong Le
United States
Houston
Texas
flag msg tools
Talarius (#50863),

I'm a hardcore mini guy, and I wouldn't buy it for the terrain. I was at GenCon and I found the terrain and the mixed genres to be quite a turn-off; although to be fair, I think as a 12-year old boy I would have totally been into it. I wouldn't hold my breath over this game sucking in the GW crowd.

I'm 33 and I've never played a miniatures game before (unless Memoir '44 and Battlecry count as such - and I own but haven't played BattleBall), but that crazy mix of genres in HeroScape looks like fun. I must be a 12-year-old at heart. I'd buy a copy of HeroScape if only I could get my paws on one.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brian M
United States
Thornton
Colorado
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Xasher (#50858),

I think its going to depend a lot on the people! I AM a hardcore minis player - Warhammer 40K, Epic 40K, Warmaster, and several other of the GW games, and I find Heroscape incredibly entertaining. But, the people I play wargames and roleplaying games with have always enjoyed their "lighter" counterparts like Siege of the Citadel and Heroquest as well.
I don't see why someone should limit themselves to just one game. Warhammer 40K has a different feel from Warmaster which is different from Mage Knight which is different from HeroClix which is different from HeroScape. I don't just want to play Settlers all the time, why should I just want to play 40K all the time?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael Denman
United States
Katy
Texas
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
The implication that this game is a step up from Heroclix is absurd. Heroclix is far more complicated. I don't mean to knock either game. I just wanted to clarify the heirarchy for those who were interested.

For those of you who enjoy the mixed genres of Heroscape, may I recommend Duel of Ages? I LOVE that game and it was my interest in DoA which prompted a friend to tell me about Heroscape.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Shane Is Board
United States
Las Vegas
Nevada
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Trump (#50875),
Actually, DoA came to mind as soon as I heard the "heroes from other ages". DoA is great, highly recommend it.

oh, and this game looks killer too

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ubergeek
United States
Washougal
Washington
flag msg tools
Be Happy in your Game!
badge
I spent 100 Geek Gold and all I got was this lousy overtext message!
mbmbmbmbmb
Trump (#50875),
I also agree that this game is not a step up for clix fans. It's more of a lateral if anything.

I don't like painting miniatures though I've done so for a lot in my collection. Everything that GW has ever put out has required painting. I don't have the time anymore if I ever really had it to begin with. I don't like the collectible aspect of clix games. I got one of every 1st edition Mage Knight when it came out and then started getting overwhelmed by new abilities, more rules, card abilities and finally the revamp of the rules system, not to mention trying to keep up with the rare mega-figure. It started looking like combo decks in MtG. With the right combo you could whomp anything. I like realistic terrain. I had a 4x8 N-gauge setup I built fully landscaped and when I had to move, it was mostly money down the drain when I had to take it apart and try to salvage parts. Even now, two pieces of GW foam with some grass sawdust and a few trees runs over $25 in hobby stores. I've made my own, but even that takes time when balanced against the family.

So along comes Heroscape. Simple rules, not volumes. Simple play and not tedious. And the terrain sets up and packs away nicely. The terrain may not be the nice rolling hills of felt and foam I appreciate seeing when Napoleonic miniatures clash on a nicely created battlefield, but it works for this game (and a lot of others as well apparently). It's functional and cost effective and in the case of this game it serves to regulate movement. GW or WK games that measure movement in inches would have to be adapted to accomodate this type of terrain.

The game is going to be different things to different types of players. Bottom line is that if someone is thinking of buying it, I'd recommend it over trying to shy them away from it. If they're set against buying it, it's because they already have decided it's not their type of game or they're satisfied with what they already play. I don't hold it against anyone if they don't want to try something new. Maybe they don't have the time or money either. In the end it's their loss or gain. But I won't speak negative of the game and its value both in regard to components and entertainment. It's a perfect game that fits a gap between those who don't like the complexity and cost of GW miniature games or the collectibility of Wizkids clix games. And I think the enclosed advanced rules along with the upcoming expansions will push this beyond the range of 8-12 year old players. It's not meant to pull one type of miniature gamer or the other to the middle. For the dedicated miniature gamer, this game would merely be a diversion. This is a game for the masses as I've stated in my review here elsewhere. Paint a big target on the Candyland crowd. Much like Furbies and Cabbage Patch dolls of the past, I hope this is the "must have" game for kids this Christmas. Maybe in 10 years this game will be fetching the same prices as the now OOP Broadsides and Boarding Parties on eBay.

As for me, I just like playing with those army men again.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brian M
United States
Thornton
Colorado
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Trump (#50875),
While Heroscape also reminded me of Duel of Ages, the thought was "why couldn't duel of Ages play more like this"?
I wasn't impressed with that game at all!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Read the rulebook, plan for all contingencies, and…read the rulebook again.
United States
Austin
Texas
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Jay,

Hardcore minis players have hundreds, often thousands, of dollars tied up in troops, terrain, vehicles, books (rules and historical), and painting paraphenalia. They have a steep investment in games and games like Heroscape (and my latest fave, Memoir '44) that take away all the hard work and expense (buying and painting miniatures and terrain) and keep most (if not all) of the fun are often seen as a threat.

So out come the straw-man arguments to protect their investments:

"It's a kids game." (Kids CAN play it and play it well, yes. But adults developed it, tested it, and packaged it. Collecting adults often buy it before a kid ever sees it on the shelves.)

"It's not realistic." (Most minis games have the same sort of 'perfect intelligence' and 'sacrifices for gameplay' issues that games like Heroscape have.)

"It's too simple for me." (That's code for "I can't mini-max the system" or "There are no loopholes for me to exploit." Has nothing to do with how fun or fast the game plays.)

"It's okay to introduce someone to 'The Hobby.'" (More code. It means: "I'll hook 'em with something fast and fun and then encourage them to build an expensive opposing force for MY favored game.")

"The figs suck." (Which often means it generally clashes with whatever favored sculptor or line they've spent big money on.)

"It's not the right scale." (A complaint that leads up to, "I was hoping to...")

"I'm just buying it to supplement my real armies." (The only honest answer that a real, hardcore miniatures elitist will likely give. BattleMasters, HeroQuest, Space Crusade, Mutant Chronicles, and others have a strange habit of showing up in Warhammer, WH40K, and Warzone armies. At least they acknowledge that the game is good for SOMETHING!)

---

I have a large investment in minaitures myself, so I know the arguments. But I learned long ago that if you put all that time and money into buying and painting ffigures and terrain, the rules should be fast, clean, simple, and fun so that you can get on with the spectacle you spent so much effort on. It really makes me angry to set up a game and then spend a good hour of watching people do absolutely nothing but argue over the rules. Dang it, let's play!

laugh

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rich Ochs
United States
Jackson
Wyoming
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
StormKnight (#50892),

Agreed. I haven't even played Heroscape yet, but as soon as I read the rules and saw the game I thought "this is what Duel of Ages SHOULD have been". I liked DOA when I first played it, but it has become tiresome after repeated playings. Too long with too much down time. Yeah, you can set a short time limit but DOA doesn't really develop until you get to about the 1.5-2hr mark.

Also, the value is something else to consider. DOA and Heroscape cost the same amount, and what do you get with DOA? Warped boards and tons of chits that are impossible to discern on the board. Hell, from what it looks like you could play DOA on the Heroscape set with a few modifications if you really wanted to.

I'm sure that this has been brought up before, but I had to rant as a disillusioned DOA owner/player.

Rich

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jay Duval
United States
Unspecified
Unspecified
flag msg tools
rochs77 (#50948),
Well guys I broke down and bought the game....

First impression...wow...the figures are actually quile nice...probably the best painted and posed prepainted figures i've seen so far in any of the games.

Second the terrain, at first i wasn't impressed but then I realized the damn things lock together forming a solid piece of terrain when it is done...very good system.

I've read thru the advanced rules and to be honest with ya the game although simple encompasses alot of rules I like about the more expensive minis games. There are special powers...line of sight rules...combined fire rules and very well thought out goal and point values for each of the figs. The movement rules moving thru terrain and up and down terrain are well thought out and more complete than GW's. I can't say how all this works together because I haven't played the game yet but it looks fairly complete.

It's funny but when I got up this morning I had a sudden realization that the game looks alot like Duel of Ages...actually it's scary how close they are. Perhaps any rules that are lacking in heroscape can be filled in with rules from DOA.

The one thing i'm sure of there will be know regrets for putting down 40 dollars on this game system...the figs alone are worth that.

Wish me luck...i'm going to drag the game to my local gaming store this weekend and try to convince a few GW gamers to give it a whirl.

Thanks again for your comments...I would recommend anyone considering the game to definitely buy it. Ultimately if you don't end up playing the game, you can give the game to your kids and they can play with it as a toy without the game.

Xasher
DD

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jody Ludwick
United States
Indiana
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmb
Xasher (#50952),

How does HeroScape compare with a (non-hardcore mini) dungeon-crawl game like Mage Knights Dungeons?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dave Nadig
United States
Lenox
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
mb
On Clix vs. HS vs. DoA,

First off, got em all, and in terms of "investment" I've got WAY more tied up in my Orcs and 'nids - I'm one of those with the thousands burried in pewter.

Clix is complex in two regards - Move,Fire,Push - When teaching (heck, when playing) this has NEVER seemed natural to me. But whatever, some people love it. And second, in the use of powers. The combat systems, movement, etc, are probably equally complex.

I guess what I meant was that I know MANY Hclix players who have never, ever played another minis game. And most of them have never played on anything but a flat, preprinted matt. They were magic addicts who got hooked on MK, and then Hclix. I find that Heroscape's ruleset, terrain, and flexibility is much closer to traditional minis rules (GW or otherwise), and thus, is more of a "gateway drug".

As for DoA - I like the game, but frankly the whole color coding system, combined with the tininess of the bits (one sneeze and its game over - and it's happened!) keeps me from playing it. I like the idea of snagging some of the ideas for HS though.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brian M
United States
Thornton
Colorado
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
jody (#50968),
Well, they're a different style, with Heroscape being a straightforward Skirmish game while MKD is a gather treasure, level up, fight monsters game with a generous dose of skirmish mixed in.

Its much more comparable to regular Mage Knight, as they are on the same theme. So far Heroscape doesn't have the same amount of variety, but that's to be expected for a one-set game. Its much faster and smoother playing, though it doesn't have as many abilities. The terrain looks awesome, which MK doesn't have as all. MK has really big things like tanks which we may never see in HS.

Overall, I would say if you are debating, try HS. Much cheaper, and generally better playing in my opinion.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jody Ludwick
United States
Indiana
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmb
StormKnight (#51023),

Thanks for the reply. My reason for the question was that this new game looks rather interesting and I have a soon-to-be 11 year old who is already familiar with playing and collecting MKD. I just want to know if HeroScape is different and challenging enough to pick up for his birthday as we pretty much have all that is offered for MKD.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brian M
United States
Thornton
Colorado
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
jody (#51035),
I would say go for it. The style and feel is very different, and the cross-genre figures give it a very different atmosphere from the MK game. And heck, it only costs as much as a few MK boosters!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael Denman
United States
Katy
Texas
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
So many people to respond to…

Brian : “While Heroscape also reminded me of Duel of Ages, the thought was "why couldn't duel of Ages play more like this"? I wasn't impressed with that game at all!”

I guess it depends on what you wanted from it. It certainly doesn’t play in a blink of an eye. As for me, I just love mixed genre material and DoA did a fine job of mixing it up and making it fun. I bet there are plenty of people who play Heroscape now and don’t know the names of any of the characters (Uh… I got the dragon on my team) and STILL won’t know the names a year from now. Is that important? It is to me. I want something that’s a bit more immersive than that. Ultimately, it may come down to what level of play you’re feeling up to on a particular day. I doubt DoA is ever going to appeal to the Toys R Us crowd, eh?

Rich : “I liked DOA when I first played it, but it has become tiresome after repeated playings. Too long with too much down time. Yeah, you can set a short time limit but DOA doesn't really develop until you get to about the 1.5-2hr mark.”

Tiresome? Maybe you’ve played it a lot more often than I have. Downtime? That’s never been a problem. The only way I can see that being a problem is if you’re playing with a lot of players. As long as you keep it down to 4 or less, nobody should be drifting off. I’d agree that the game does get more interesting the longer you go, mainly because you’ve acquired a good amount of equipment by then.

Rich : “Also, the value is something else to consider. DOA and Heroscape cost the same amount, and what do you get with DOA? “

When you’re talking component quality, you’ll get no argument from me there. A bunch of little cardboard pieces isn’t going to compare well to painted plastic minis.

Dave : “Clix is complex in two regards - Move,Fire,Push - When teaching (heck, when playing) this has NEVER seemed natural to me. But whatever, some people love it. And second, in the use of powers. The combat systems, movement, etc, are probably equally complex. “

The very fact that there’s a large FAQ for Heroclix says that it’s more complex than Heroscape. I mean really, after you’ve played once or twice, you’re never going to have to reference your Heroscape rulebook again. I don’t think I ever get through an entire scenario in Heroclix without having to reference something.

Dave : “As for DoA - I like the game, but frankly the whole color coding system, combined with the tininess of the bits (one sneeze and its game over - and it's happened!) keeps me from playing it.”

I’d have preferred that the color-coding followed a ROYGBIV order, but I still think it’s a great idea and highly preferable to numerical ratings. As for the smaller bits, well, I don’t have a giant ham-fist so I have very little trouble scooting the little pieces around. Sure, bigger would have been better, but the game might well have become QUITE large if that were the case.

Theoretically, I’ll happily own DoA, Heroclix, and Heroscape, and play whichever one suits my fancy on a particular day. I say ‘theoretically’ because I have yet to locate a copy of Heroscape on the shelves (and I live in Houston)!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dane Peacock
United States
Stansbury Park
Utah
flag msg tools
badge
That tickles
mbmbmbmbmb
Heroscape is not even in the same class as DOA. Please do not try to compare the two as if they are similar. The components in Heroscape are fantastic and much better than DOA, but besides that, DOA is a far superior game, and very different.

Heroscape devolves into groups of battles: I hit, you hit, I hit, you hit; like many miniature games. Duel of ages victory conditions provide an infinitely better, freer flowing, open, tactical, and fun experience.

My kids and I will play Heroscape often. I like Heroscape for what it is: a lite tactical miniature game. DOA is so much more than that.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dave Nadig
United States
Lenox
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
mb
Sky Knight X (#51100),

I don't disagree - and I wasn't the one who brought it up - it draws comparisions to DOA solely because:

1: The Theme
2: It's hex based

So everyone immediately thinks "hey, now I can play DOA and actually see what im doing and not worry about bumping the table."

But like I said, as someone fairly hamhanded and colorblind, DOA is virtually IMPOSSIBLE for me to play. I LIKE the game, I just spend all my time re-setting my pieces and asking everyone else what my abilities are.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brian M
United States
Thornton
Colorado
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Sky Knight X (#51100),
Saying that DOA is a "far superior game" is rather subjective isn't it?
I don't think its unreasonable to be making comparisons - they are both small scale combat games which use a modular hex grid and have cross-genre pieces. I think that's enough similiarities.

But really, I think the main differences are:
1) DOA uses a far more complicated and slower paced system for combat to produce what are essentially the same results.
2) DOA has opportunity fire.
3) DOA has an interesting objective system.

Now, I really don't consider the combat all that much different. I think if you want to compare the two, HS comes out on top in my book. And adding opportunity fire to HS would be a lot easier than making DOA fast and simple playing in my opinion!
I found DOA to consist of "better armed character beats on lesser character while lesser character runs and hopes to get better item or healed".
So, what some of us (ok, me, don't know about anyone else) want is to take that one good thing - the objectives - and see if we can use it.
For me, DOA was a play once, stick it on the shelf, will probably never play it again.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ubergeek
United States
Washougal
Washington
flag msg tools
Be Happy in your Game!
badge
I spent 100 Geek Gold and all I got was this lousy overtext message!
mbmbmbmbmb
StormKnight (#51116),
DOA is a far superior game

Purely a matter of opinion or taste. I tried DoA with 4 players and found it to be tedious and unrewarding with too much down time between play. I even lost interest in the combat sequence thinking it was too painful. I hardly believe the DoA is superior to this in any aspect and I'm glad I didn't buy into it.

HS and DoA are different game mechanisms and formats. But I'm sure if you're a DoA fan you'll probably find a way to use HS terrain in that game.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Read the rulebook, plan for all contingencies, and…read the rulebook again.
United States
Austin
Texas
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I've never played DOA and, given what I've heard, would probably be turned off by the downtime and fiddly combat system.

To be fair, however, I've learned that most complex games (and DOA doesn't sound quite as bad as many) can be rewarding experiences -IF- a patient player who is thoroughly versed in the game is helping the others wade through the rules.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dane Peacock
United States
Stansbury Park
Utah
flag msg tools
badge
That tickles
mbmbmbmbmb
Dave,
Of course it is rather subjective, just like every opinion and review on this site.

Walt,
“But I'm sure if you're a DoA fan you'll probably find a way to use HS terrain in that game.”

How long did you actually play the game? It would be impossible to use HS terrain in DOA, as the Pakit terrain system is an integral part to the foundation of the game.

And down time? The non-active players are involved in nearly every aspect of the active players’ turn. There is less down time in DOA than in most games, especially of this type. I will admit that Heroscape does play VERY quickly compared to other miniatures. In fact, I will admit that HS is a very good game that I have enjoyed so far, and your review was particularly good (I rated it a 5)

I do not find the combat system in DOA difficult at all. I don’t know what else to say. Maybe it is due to my background as a war gamer, where I have found some truly hideous combat systems. I think that it is only a step more difficult than HS.

I have said many times that DOA is not for everyone. I will not even attempt to play it with 2/3 of my gaming group. However, for those that have a background in war gaming, RPG’s, enjoy a lot of atmosphere, and enjoy a variety of gaming styles, then DOA is as good as a tactical squad based war game gets.

I will clarify: In my opinion, Duel of Ages is deeper, better, more rewarding, and DIFFERENT than Heroscape. There is certainly room for both games in my closet. Oh, yeah, my 3 and 5 year olds like Heroscape better, although they play with a completely different set of house rules.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
1 , 2  Next »   | 
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.