Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Dave Shapiro
United States
Milwaukee
Wisconsin
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
Before proceeding I must admit that I dislike miniature games in general and all forms of collectable games. No game should require tape measures, calculators and no piece should be 'rare' or 'ultra rare'. That said, I have now played several games of Heroscape and the following is my impression of the game.

1. The components are superb (and cheap). The 'board' is composed of a variety of pieces (think of the Settler's board on steroids). There are more than enough units provided to play and the variety is outstanding; everything from the Men-in-Black to mechs to a great big dragon.

2. There are two sets of rules. he basic rules are for kids. The advanced rules add special powers (Cosmic Encounters meets miniatures). The game is much easier to grasp than a standard miniatures game. It can be taught in a few minutes. (It is about as difficult to learn as basic Risk.) If the Clix system was an improvement over standard miniatures then this is the next generation as this is an improvement over the Clix system.

3. Several senarios are provided with the game but I would expect fans to create dozens (hundreds?) more as the system is completely open and begs for tinkering. Though the senarios have established goals, the heart of the game is eliminating your opponents units. (Why find a map when you can slay a dragon?) This is an aggressive game. There are more skulls (hits) on the attacker's dice than there are shields (saves) on the defender's dice.

4. As with all miniatures games this is about tactics. For a deep strategy game look elsewhere.

5. Fun - The game is loud and fun. It is a beer and pretzels game; a boy toy. If this were an action movie it would be Ghostbusters not Saving Private Ryan. This is not a 'serious' game... it is a fun game.

6. There are no tape measures, calculators or collectable pieces but there are a 'lot of laughs' in the package.

7. Hasbro did it right.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael Denman
United States
Katy
Texas
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Re:User Review
qrux (#50967),

"Before proceeding I must admit that I dislike... all forms of collectable games."

YES! Collectible games are a sure sign of the coming apocalypse...

"If the Clix system was an improvement over standard miniatures then this is the next generation as this is an improvement over the Clix system."

Hmmmm. By context I can only assume that improvement equals simplication to you. I'd have to agree with your comment then.

"The advanced rules add special powers (Cosmic Encounters meets miniatures)."

Euuuuuuyyyyuuu!!! Do you really want to taint Heroscape with the spectre of CE? Seriously, the whacky powers and combos available in CE are of an entirely different scale.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ubergeek
United States
Washougal
Washington
flag msg tools
Be Happy in your Game!
badge
I spent 100 Geek Gold and all I got was this lousy overtext message!
mbmbmbmbmb
qrux (#50967),
Hasbro did it right

Actually, Rob, Stephan, and Craig did it right. Hasbro did the right thing (and came through with the product).

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Read the rulebook, plan for all contingencies, and…read the rulebook again.
United States
Austin
Texas
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Walt Mulder (#51203),

And War of the Ring, the new Doom, and the expansions for Heroscape have yet to come out.

Too...many...games...laugh

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.