Freelance Police
United States
Palo Alto
California
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
I'm still using Chris' tips as well!

The basic ideas is that by teaching in reverse phase order, you're *minimizing* the icons the players are being exposed to. Likewise, with no cards in hand, you're *minimizing* the amount of time players will spend to choose a card.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Clint M
Canada
flag msg tools
Definitely with you on hiding those reference cards. They are, as they say, for reference and are not very effective 'teaching' tools.

I'd also recommend not playing for keeps on that first game. Play open hands, open roles and just be the tutorial bot for the newbie.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Gary Bacchus
United States
Altamonte Springs
Florida
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Has this ever made it out of here as a file or something? I'd do a quick copy/paste, but I wouldn't want to take credit for any part of it whatsoever.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Yee Keat Phuah
Malaysia
flag msg tools
jakal323 wrote:
Has this ever made it out of here as a file or something? I'd do a quick copy/paste, but I wouldn't want to take credit for any part of it whatsoever.

And I will print this out and keep it in the box as a teaching reference sheet.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Cranston Houseo
Canada
flag msg tools
I'm still trying to figure out the Consume power.

If someone plays Consume 2xVP, if you have a card with a $ power, are you allowed to sell instead of consume for VP's?

If someone plays Consume (Trade), after you've used up your $ powers are you allowed to consume for VP's?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Federico
Italy
Val di Non
Trentino
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
housenuts wrote:
If someone plays Consume 2xVP, if you have a card with a $ power, are you allowed to sell instead of consume for VP's?

Only if you have chosen Consume (Trade) as your phase.
x2 and trade are the two different bonuses for the consume phase, so unless you specifically choose one of them, you don't do them and you simply consume.
Think of it as exploring: if someone else chooses it you draw 2 and keep 1. If you choose Explore +1,+1 you draw 3 and keep 2; if instead you choose Explore +5 you draw 7 and keep 1.

It works like this:
- if someone else chooses one of the consume phases and you don't, you consume (x1)
- if you choose Comsume (x2) you consume and get twice as many VPs (btw, you don't multiply by 2 the cards you get)
- if you choose Consume (Trade) you trade and then consume (x1)

housenuts wrote:
If someone plays Consume (Trade), after you've used up your $ powers are you allowed to consume for VP's?

If someone plays Consume (Trade) and you didn't, you are NOT allowed to sell goods and use $ powers, but you can ONLY consume.

Edit: bad spelling
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sam Carroll
United States
Urbana
Illinois
flag msg tools
Soli Deo Gloria!
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Note that the card "Trade League" does allow you to trade a good even when you don't choose Consume: Trade. "Black Market Trading Word" is similar, but you don't get any $ bonuses.

Apart from these two cards, the only way you can ever trade a good is by choosing Consume: Trade yourself.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Prev «  1 , 2  | 
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.