Brett Myers
United States
Madison
WI
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Any recommendations for good Viking era games?

I'm thinking specifically 9th century, Great Heathen (Danish) Army, Halfdan Ragnarsson, Ivar the Boneless, Ubbe Rangarsson, the sack of Paris in 865 through Alfred the Great's victory in 878 at the Battle of Edington. I'd love to see rules that simulate the fighting in this era, especially the shield wall.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
L Myrick
United States
Pasadena
California
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Have you looked at Warhammer Ancient Battles? There is a Shield Wall supplement that specifically covers the era you're looking for. Though that supplement is currently out of print, you can find them on ebay.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ernest Schubert
United States
Polk Township
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
Board Games? Miniatures? What type of game did you have in mind?

Dark Ages, a REALLY old SPI game covered that era pretty well with a generic tactical level hex&counter style game. Britania covers the Viking invasions of the British Isles... plus much more. There's the S&T game Hastings - not too old, I don't think - which covers the specific battle of Hastings - more or less Vikings vs the Saxons.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
dave boulton
United Kingdom
etchingham
E. Sussex
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
britannia has vikings in it, well norsemen, danes, jutes and norweigans but the game is not specifically about the vikings , its a very good game though should not be approached lightly

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Alan Richbourg
United States
Arlington
Texas
flag msg tools
badge
This is Kyoshi, our adopted Shiba Inu.
mbmbmbmbmb
Richard Berg's Hastings: 1066. Shield wall meets Norman combined arms.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kent Reuber
United States
San Mateo
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
A couple of miniature rules sets to look at:

Dark Age Infantry Slog is a free set of rules that appeared in a wargames magazine. Shieldwall is represented by the formation density. http://www.wfgamers.org.uk/resources/callan/dais.htm

Ancient & Medieval Wargaming has armies made of 8 units. Each army has specific rules, such as shieldwall, so that a Roman legionaire is not the same as an armored knight.

Boardgames:
The free game Ancients has a few Viking period scenarios (Sauricort, Dyle, and Maldon). See: http://www.relativerange.com/ancients/scenario.htm

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brett Myers
United States
Madison
WI
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Well, I was thinking boardgame, as I haven't delved into minis since my Warhammer/WH40K days (with a wee peek at Confrontation) and never into historical minis. Strangely, when I picture the game I want to play, I see a block game or something akin to C&C:Ancients (in regards to no-fog of war). I don't really know the scale I'm looking for, but Edington was large scale by the standards of the day--several thousand per side. I'd love to see smaller scale skirmish type battles, too.

Thanks for all the suggestions, so far. Looks like a topic that has fallen out of favor in recent years, though maybe the recent flush of Viking themed Euros will spill over.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John Owen
United States
Lisle
New York
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
The Fury of the Norsemen
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kent Reuber
United States
San Mateo
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Now you've gotten me interested. Here's an interesting resource I found on Dark Age wargame, including rules recommendations, reading lists, etc.:

http://www.nhmgs.org/articles/darkages.html

One game that comes highly recommended on this page is: Glutter of Ravens: Warfare in the Age of Arthur

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Pete Pariseau
United States
Tulsa
Oklahoma
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
One of the four games in Rob Markham's "Sword and Shield" is Stamford Bridge. Game ID #10776.

"Age of Chivalry", same designer, has Hastings. Game ID #2917.

Both were published by 3W.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.