Shazamm!» Forums » Sessions

Subject: TVB - 2P - Wham, Bam, Shazam! Over before I knew it. rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Richard Pardoe
United States
flag msg tools
badge
Captain Marvel isn't making appearance. Instead two wizards are locked in a duel on a bridge refusing to yield until one is defeated. Players start each turn with a supply of "mana" or magic force. They then decide how much force to use each turn and any spells they wish to cast. The trick - once a spell is cast (via card play) it is no longer available in the game. The spells have various effects on the results of the battle, so part of the game is trying to optimize the play of the few cards you have in hand while trying to out-duel your opponent and push the fire wall between you into your opponent.

After a series of rounds (using mana, casting spells) one wizard is pushed back by the fire wall. The turn ends, mana is restocked, and new spells drawn. This continues until one wizard is pushed from the bridge. The game won't last indefinitely as the edges of the bridge also fall (meaning a shorter span) at the end of each turn.

With any such game, the gameplay comes from combination of cards and knowing when to play them. Dave picked up on this a bit quicker than Rich, ending up with more mana and was able to milk Rich's supply down to push Rich back . The next round saw Rich hold out just barely, but....when the bridge collapsed at the end of the turn...Rich was the loser.

I can see a tense duel in the components, but ours wasn't all that tense as Dave's ability to pick out the combos from his hand was devastating compared to Rich's inability to pick out combinations from his hand. Certainly appears to be a game that is more enjoyable when the skill level of the players is on par and/or if the players know each other's style and can add the psychological element to deciding which cards might work.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
tim Tim TIm TIM TIMMY!!
Costa Rica
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Sounds like you got your A** kicked laugh, did you get better - or are you still a newt?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Richard Pardoe
United States
flag msg tools
badge
Yes, I did and it's still sore...And I am still a newt..

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.