Popular Tags: [View All]
Andrew Nick
Canada
TORONTO
Ontario
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
If one is playing an expansion, do you log a game played using the "I Played This Game On" feature under the base game or the expansion? What is your rationale?

Personally, I've been generally going with logging under the base game, with games like Up Front and Carcassonne. But lately, I've been tempted to go with the expansion listing instead with games like The Settlers of Catan Card Game Expansions.

Discuss.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andy
United Kingdom
Manchester
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
some people log base and expansions... others only log the expansion they used...

my personal preference is to log the base game as a full play, and log each expansion as 0.01 plays... that way it records that I've played it, but puts 0x in my play count, so it doesn't distort the overall quantity of plays.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
MatthiasC
Germany
Frankfurt
flag msg tools
mb
Maybe logging a game solely under its expansion will be "mathematically" correct, as for instance playing Carcassonne with one of its expansions, say "Traders and Builders", means that you have been playing "Traders and Builders" AND "Carcassonne" as well, simply because you can't play the expansion on its own. So, strictly speaking, "Traders and Builders" is a superset of Carcassonne. Therefore, when logging a game of "Traders and Builders", this implies that you have played the basic game as well. So every logged game of an expansion has been a game of the basic game, and registering for the basic game IN ADDITION to the expansion won't be necessary.

That said, although this may be correct in a kind of mathematical sense, I regard it as being rather counterintuitive. Here's why: Let's stick with the example above. In this case I don't have the feeling that I have been playing "Traders and Builders", I'd rather say that I have been playing Carcassonne, and MAYBE I would add that we have been using the afore mentioned expansion. So formally it would be correct to solely log the expansion, but intuitively, logging the basic game "feels" more correct to me, and that's the way I chose as yet, albeit being aware of its flaws.

But that's not the whole story: what do you do, when you are using more than one expansion? And what do you do with modular systems like, say, Advanced Squad Leader? File under the rule book entry, or the module that you have been using? And isn't each scenario a game of its own? So wouldn't it be correct to log the scenarions instead of the basic game, whatever the basic game might be in this case?

Formally this is a complex problem, but I think that due to its complexity it yearns for more brain power/time than it actually deserves. And that's why so far I simply logged the basic game and tried not to make matters more complicated than they should be.

Once again: I really think that it's worth thinking about the flaws in logging games and I appreciate you starting this thread, but for me personally, going the easy way worked out pretty well.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ryan Powers
United States
Marble
Minnesota
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Chump wrote:
If one is playing an expansion, do you log a game played using the "I Played This Game On" feature under the base game or the expansion? What is your rationale?

Personally, I've been generally going with logging under the base game, with games like Up Front and Carcassonne. But lately, I've been tempted to go with the expansion listing instead with games like The Settlers of Catan Card Game Expansions.

Discuss.

I log the base game and 0.1 games for each expansion. This keeps it from inflating my total logged games (since it shows up in my list as a 0) but still lets it show up (again, as a 0).

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Richard Pardoe
United States
flag msg tools
badge
Like Andy and Ryan, I record a 1 under the base game and and 0.01 under expansions. I tried to record game plays by just the expansion as one might assume the base game was included, but quickly ran into trouble when we played:

Carcassonne + The River + Inns & Cathedrals
Arkham Horror + Curse of the Dark Pharaoh + Dunwich Horror
Lord of the Ring + Friends & Foes + Sauron

With multiple expansions, which one do you select as the one you did play? Simplest for me is to list the base game as the whole play and expansions as the fractional.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Carlee Dise
United States
Triangle
North Carolina
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I like the idea of logging expansions as .01 plays.

I usually log the base and the expansion.

Except for Thurn and Taxis: Power and Glory. To me that is a complete game in itself. All you need from the original base game are the wooden post offices and you could just go buy 4 sets of 20 wooden colored cubes and not need the base game at all.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.