Popular Tags: [View All]
Ubergeek
United States
Washougal
Washington
flag msg tools
Be Happy in your Game!
badge
I spent 100 Geek Gold and all I got was this lousy overtext message!
mbmbmbmbmb
Like many, I've found the terrain enclosed with HS to be perfect for many other games, both miniature and boardgame alike. Here's a few of them with some comments:

Mage Knight/MKD/Heroclix - You need to treat each hex as 2 for movement including elevation and firing (round down). Each average figure should be a 5 height, tall figures, a 6, and short guys a 4. You decide before hand which height they should be, or you can also use 1 star as short, 2 as medium, and 3 as tall. You'll need to tinker a bit.

Mechwarrior - Same as above for movement/firing. All vehicles and troops should probably be a 1 height and mechs a 3.

Ogre - The normal rules should work, even if playing the miniatures version.

GEV - Same here, but there's no road tiles.

Battle Cry/M44 - A battlefield can easily be created into a left/center/right by using a few HS sets and the green/gray/sand colored tiles. The single terrain tiles nicely cover a single hex to define terrain you may want, even after building up some hills.

Starship Troopers (movie version) - The terrain overlays fit perfect onto the tiles. You can recreate the layouts given in the scenario book. With the Micromachine Starship Trooper miniatures and a few of the HS army men added, it works great.

Duel of Ages - So I've read elsewhere here.

Vive l'Empereur- Same as with BC/M44.

War to (the) Axis - Even better use than with BC/M44 since you don't have to set up 3 sectors (but again, there's no roads).

Battleball/Bloodbowl - if you're willing to adapt the game from square to hexes you can set up some interesting fields.

LotR Tabletop/Clix game

I'm sure that more will come up. Any other ideas out there?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Boeren
United States
Marietta
Georgia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Re:Other games the terrain works with
Walt Mulder (#51161),

Regarding BattleCry/Memoir 44, aren't the HeroScape hexes too small to be used with these games? From what I understand, HeroScape hexes are 1 1/2", while BC/M44 hexes are about 2 1/4".

So, it would seem to me that the HeroScape hexes would
A. Not fill the map hexes
B. Be too small to fit all the figures on
(up to 4 infantry + general, or 3 tanks)

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dave Nadig
United States
Lenox
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
mb
Walt Mulder wrote:
Ogre - The normal rules should work, even if playing the miniatures version.

GEV - Same here, but there's no road tiles.

These were the ones I immediately focussed on, and I'm painting a ton of Ogre minis for it right now. The mods are pretty simple.

For Roads: Since I have 2 sets, I'm taking one set of water tiles (the half height ones) and for the moment just priming them grey. Just drop-em in.

Craters: Tougher. For the moment I'm just using single hex pieces like little hills, which seem to work.

The amazing thing - and I have to wonder if this was somehow intentional, is that the size you can make laying out all the HS terrain flat is 15 by 22. Anyone remember how big the standard Ogre map is?

15 by 22.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jon
United States
Edmond
Oklahoma
flag msg tools
admin
Convention Committee
badge
BGG.CON! BGG.CON SPRING! BGG@SEA!
mbmbmbmbmb
It seems to me like you could use the terrain to make some RuneBound custom maps. Sure, Runebound has 7 terrain types and HeroScape has only 4, but you could easily adapt the system.

Green = plains
Gray = roads
Blue = water
Tan = swamp

For the rest...just call level-2 terrain "hills" and level-3 terrain "mountains". That just leaves forest. OK, so you might need to creatively mark some green tiles for that. Or come up with some other system, like level 2 green = forest, level 2 tan = hills, etc.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ubergeek
United States
Washougal
Washington
flag msg tools
Be Happy in your Game!
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
dboeren (#51189),
I've double checked, and the actual HS hex size is 1 3/4 inches across from side to side. The M44 individual hexes fit nicely over single hexes but when trying to fill a larger area they start to overlap. Most larger areas are usually hills so it's not a problem since I use HS terrain for that. It is hard to get 4 tanks into a HS hex and I use chips under them like A&A to show damage.

Also another game I missed on the list is:

Crimson Skies - The terrain is perfect for creating the mountains to fly around or canyons to fly through but canyons need to be at least 2 hexes wide.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jerry Hawthorne
United States
dallas
Texas
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Walt Mulder (#51161),I would put on this list :

Melee
Wizard

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ubergeek
United States
Washougal
Washington
flag msg tools
Be Happy in your Game!
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
nobeerblues (#51213),
Also, if Command & Colors: Ancients comes out with a similar sized hex, this may be the perfect game to create the 3D terrain for it.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sef V
United States
chicago
Illinois
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
Walt Mulder (#51161),
Has anyone tried using this with heroquest? I think the terrain would work really well with it.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Doug Mickelsen
United States
Crystal Lake
Illinois
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Walt Mulder (#51161),

Cry Havoc & Dark Blades et. al. - Finally! - An easy way to play these old Standard Games classics using 15 or 20mm medieval miniatures. All we need are some proper castle walls and towers to convert the hex maps into 3-D terrain.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Lou Harland
United States
McLeansboro
IL
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Jets27 (#51377),
Glad to hear someone ask about using Heroscape terrains for HeroQuest!! I have played HeroQuest for years and always wanted to create some outdoor quests. In fact, a few years ago I wrote an article in The Alchemist's Bench (a heroquest newsletter) about using other game components for HQ adventures. I stated at the time that I was trying to come up with a way to use the Battle Masters playmat to create outdoor HQ adventures. Sorry to say, I never got around to it.
When I first saw Heroscape in Walmart about two months ago, my first thought was "wow, these terrain tiles would work great for HeroQuest." I didn't buy it though at the time because I hadn't been playing HQ for a about a year.
Finally got a copy of Heroscape a few days ago, so I may try coming up with some new HQ quests soon...after the hype of Heroscape wears down a little at my house!!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ubergeek
United States
Washougal
Washington
flag msg tools
Be Happy in your Game!
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Walt Mulder (#51161),
Add Junkyard Races by genfourtwo to the list. This game is perfect for building new tracks. You've got your sand (for mud), grass, asphalt (gray) and water. The walls are perfect to create the pit stop areas, and the Glyphs are used to create your tile collection areas. With a few rules variants, hills can be added to the race as well.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Pierre Philippe Goyer
Canada
Verdun Montreal
Quebec
flag msg tools
designer
badge
Looking for a Publisher for a Grand Strategic all fronts WW2 card game
mbmbmbmbmb
Walt Mulder (#57292),

Hi,
Our group is trying hard to expand Age of Mythology into a single board game with the exploitation tiles, the buildings tiles and units from all 6 players all over the same map. We think the game should have been that way since the start. The right mix of terrain and use of the same components (cards,ressources) is taking all our time. But it looks very good. We try to keep the game very close to the way it was designed. We had started with multi-maps like Warcraft but we soon realized the immense potentiel of the Heroscape Hexes.

So, when ready, we will posted it on the AoM post and here.

Happy gaming

Owl

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.