Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Pascal Staelens
Belgium
LOKEREN
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Dear Players,

Why is such a great game rated so low ? OK, 166 on the BBG isn't bad at all, but this could be better :

AT first the view, the materials. Nice to watch the game growing (although I don't take the orange as the best move of colourselection). The towers, farme, the workers.

Second, the concept. Starting by sensing whats the others way of thinking will be and then taking descisions that will lead you to a winning position.

Pascal67
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Kahnt
United States
Youngstown
Ohio
flag msg tools
designer
It's fun, it's healthy, it's good exercise. The kids will just love it. And we put a little sand inside to make the experience more pleasant.
badge
You know, they say there was a man who jumped from the forty-FIFTH floor? But that's another story...
mbmbmbmbmb
Its my vote for sleeper hit of 2006.

I like it a lot.

-DK
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Thomas Taylor
United States
San Ramon
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I agree the game has a great mechanic, and some decent bits.

Frankly the game just leaves me cold. I own it...and agree its a solid game. However I just dont feel the need to play this one compared to the other games I just can't wait to get to the table.

Guess I'm not the only one.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
J
Canada
AB
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
There are 4112 ranked games on BGG. Ranking at 166 places Arkadia in the top 4%. In other words, BGG feels that Arkadia is better than 96% of all other ranked games. On top of that, there are roughly 29,000 unranked games, which BGG as a whole feels are worth less attention than Arkadia.

I don't think it can be said that Arkadia ranks "so low."
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jonathan Kinney
Canada
Surrey
British Columbia
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
rootbeer wrote:
There are 4112 ranked games on BGG. Ranking at 166 places Arkadia in the top 4%. In other words, BGG feels that Arkadia is better than 96% of all other ranked games. On top of that, there are roughly 29,000 unranked games, which BGG as a whole feels are worth less attention than Arkadia.

I don't think it can be said that Arkadia ranks "so low."

I like this game a lot, but agree with rootbeer here.

I think the fact that a relatively new game is pushing the top 150 is a great thing. But I do see it as one of those games that it requires the right group of gamers. And more importantly people need to play it more than once.

My recommendation would be that if you're going to introduce it to friends, say off the top that you will need to play through it twice. Once to give everyone a feel of the mechanics and the second time for people to still employ strategy while they still remember the rules.

I know for me, my first game, I forgot to play my last flag because I wasn't really paying attention and it pissed me off...which invariably leads to me saying "We're playing that again!"

But I do think that with the quality of games in the top 150 that it will take the Arkadia converts to continue to introduce this at their game groups.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Joe Farhaven
United States
Mill Creek
Washington
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I like all of the mechanics, but I just don't get the theme. It doesn't tell a story or evoke a theme for me. I think I'd enjoy it a lot more if it painted more of a mental picture.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ron Olivier, Sr.
United States
North Smithfield
Rhode Island
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Pascal67 wrote:
Dear Players,

Why is such a great game rated so low ? OK, 166 on the BBG isn't bad at all, but this could be better :

Pascal67

I have to agree with others that #166 is pretty darn great. But there is also the fact that you may like it better than others do. In my personal rankings, I have Hermagor as my #3 game and Moai as #4 - games that are ranked somewhere around #270 and #2050 (respectively)on BGG. BELOW them I have such games as Caylus Magna Carta, at on my list I have such games as Caylus Magna Carta, Carcassonne, Ticket to Ride:Europe, Bohnanza, Lost Cities, and Acquire. They're all great games, but Hermagor and Moai just aren't as popular with the general gaming population as the others are - yet they rank among my very favorites.
As for Arkadia, I am hoping that it gets a hefty discount during the next few weeks at the bookstore. Last year I got "I'm the Boss" for 50% off, and I'm hoping Arkadia is available at a similar discount. It's not on my 'must buy' list, but I am interested in it.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bob Bergeron
United States
North Smithfield
Rhode Island
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Hey Ron - our local Barnes and Noble in Smithfield currently has Arkadia. Here's hoping they do another 50% off sale and you get can get it severely discounted.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
flag msg tools
Our Barnes and Nobles does have it for 50% off, also Pirate King, Perudo and a slew of Shrek themed games and the like.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dan
United States
Bountiful
Utah
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I just picked it up from Barnes and Noble for 50% off as well. Hope I like it as much as I hope!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Flying Arrow
United States
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
ytter wrote:
I just picked it up from Barnes and Noble for 50% off as well. Hope I like it as much as I hope!

By definition, even.

Back on topic, 166 is not a low ranking.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brent Boyd
United States
Chico
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
I picked this up today (Feb 8)at B&N for 50% off. I hope to play it this weekend.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.