Popular Tags: [View All]
Jon W
United States
Aurora
CO
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Hadn't played this in a while, and managed to get in two games in a row, which is highly unusual for us. First game was a learning game for one player (Steve) and two veterans (Kevin and me). Initial placement favored me, as Steve took it to Kevin and the central left region got cluttered. I puttered away, mostly drawing, and then made a mildly expensive connection threat across the bottom. I was more than a turn away, but Kevin was in the unenviable position of having to defend against two threats, while Steve and I were not really interacting much. I expected that to change, but Steve didn't encroach on me while Kevin left just a little window for me to slip through, and I used my streets and a relatively cheap build to really turn up the connection heat. The defense eventually proved too expensive for Kevin, and though he was primed to stop me, I had one amphora (thus three draws) to dig out one of three cheapie buildings from the remaining 11. I think that's a 64% chance to succeed (?), and sure enough, I did.

Steve held his own, working toward the building race and not really pushing for shrines. I think if he'd forced my hand on the right side and made me play a bit more defense, it would've come down to a building race. I had the advantage there, too, but it was not pronounced, so it would've been anyone's game. Kevin was between a rock and hard place from the beginning, and though he made the best of it, I suspect if he could've blocked the connection threat a bit earlier (which I'm sure would've been at a high cost), he would've had a reprieve as Steve and I duked it out. Always an interesting game, with so many tradeoffs at any given moment. It's so wonderfully difficult to figure out just what really constitutes a lucky/unlucky draw, as there are always side effects that develop out of the simplest-seeming decisions. Utterly fantastic game.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.