United States
Plainwell
Michigan
flag msg tools
Mi cabasa esta muy verde
badge
Et in Vantasia ego
mbmbmbmbmb
With all the yada yada and blah blah blah about ratings, moderation systems and a certain farming game I thought it would be nice to start a little discussion on something that we can all agree on. Something where I can not fathom how there could be any controversy.

The topic hit me as yesterday at approximately 11am I ordered my ticket to see the mighty Van Halen at Van Andel Arena in Grand Rapids, MI. Yes, Van will be seeing Van Halen at Van Andel

Anyhoo, it occurred to me that despite being excited to see Eddy again I will be a little sad that the BEST singer for Van Halen will not be there. Yes that is right, the Red Rocker, Sammy Hagar. I've seen Van Hagar 3 times, Van Cherone once and soon I will the almost but not quite original line-up. My cousin-law is a HUGE DLR fan and he assures me that the current tour is AMAZING and Wolfgang ably fills the bass roll, but I shall be quite sad that Mad Anthony will not be there. I love the DLR stuff but for some reason I have always thought Sammy just fit in perfectly. So while it will undoubtedly be a thrill to hear Unchained with DLR at the mic I must admit to a bit of sadness that those around me may awkwardly step aside as I try and do the "5150" walk.

So please, share your stories of how the Sammy era Van Halen rocks!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Tannhauser
United States
San Diego
California
flag msg tools
STRAP IN » BURN ON » BLACK OUT
badge
HIT 'EM FROM ORBIT
mbmbmbmbmb
FIRST!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
Plainwell
Michigan
flag msg tools
Mi cabasa esta muy verde
badge
Et in Vantasia ego
mbmbmbmbmb
HiveGod wrote:
FIRST!

Gaa, is that a DLR reference? Shoo, shoo!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
♪ Isaäc Bickërstaff ♫
United States
Greer
South Carolina
flag msg tools
designer
Entropy Seminar:
badge
The results of a five yeer studee ntu the sekund lw uf thurmodynamiks aand itz inevibl fxt hon shewb rt nslpn raq liot.
mbmbmbmbmb
I've seen them twice, both with Sammy Hagar (I was too young the first time DLR was in the band, and I'm playing the Highlander 2 game with the time Cherone was in the band), and they were both great. I saw them on the OU812 and For Unlawful Carnal Knowledge tours, and they were great.

And what's this about Mike Anthony? He's not in the band anymore? Who's going to sing the alto parts??

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
Plainwell
Michigan
flag msg tools
Mi cabasa esta muy verde
badge
Et in Vantasia ego
mbmbmbmbmb
Verkisto wrote:
I've seen them twice, both with Sammy Hagar (I was too young the first time DLR was in the band, and I'm playing the Highlander 2 game with the time Cherone was in the band), and they were both great. I saw them on the OU812 and For Unlawful Carnal Knowledge tours, and they were great.

And what's this about Mike Anthony? He's not in the band anymore? Who's going to sing the alto parts??

You haven't heard??? Eddy replace Mad Anthony with his 15yo son - Wolfgang Van Halen.

Youtube is flush with Videos from the tour (for now...)

here are some awesome ones from the San Diego
http://www.youtube.com/results?search_query=van+Halen+2007+c...

more here

http://www.youtube.com/results?search_query=van+Halen+2007&s...

I must admit after watching youtube videos for an hour after I posted this initially my excitement level has gone up 98% (it was already quite high to begin with - I mean I saw VH with Gary Cherone for Godssake - so I'm pretty much a die hard.

Everybody need some!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
♪ Isaäc Bickërstaff ♫
United States
Greer
South Carolina
flag msg tools
designer
Entropy Seminar:
badge
The results of a five yeer studee ntu the sekund lw uf thurmodynamiks aand itz inevibl fxt hon shewb rt nslpn raq liot.
mbmbmbmbmb
Man, according to Wikipedia, Eddie's been trying to get rid of Mike for years. What up with that?

Oh, and to wake you up, here's a shot of Eddie today:

Better'n caffeine!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
Plainwell
Michigan
flag msg tools
Mi cabasa esta muy verde
badge
Et in Vantasia ego
mbmbmbmbmb
Verkisto wrote:
Man, according to Wikipedia, Eddie's been trying to get rid of Mike for years. What up with that?

Oh, and to wake you up, here's a shot of Eddie today:

Better'n caffeine!

Yea he was in rough shape a year ago or so. He looks great in the you tube videos. He has apparently cleaned up (theoretically).

My take on the Mikey thing is that the VH bros were pissed at him for "siding" with Sammy. >shrug< Who knows. I'll be the first to admit they seem a bit petty in making decisions. But hey - whatchagonna do?

My impression is that Wolfy has kind of glued the whole deal with DLR together. He was apparenlty intrumental in putting the set list together and what not.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dan Manson
United States
Mississippi
flag msg tools
mb
I can't stand Sammy. Especially in Van Halen. You just can't adequately fill Dave's shoes.

Have fun.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
♪ Isaäc Bickërstaff ♫
United States
Greer
South Carolina
flag msg tools
designer
Entropy Seminar:
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Sammy had the better voice, but Dave had the better showmanship.

The fact that Van Halen did better without Dave, and MUCH better than Dave's solo career, is indicative of something.

But yes, "Unchained" will bring the house down.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dan Manson
United States
Mississippi
flag msg tools
mb
Verkisto wrote:

Its really a matter of preference. I honestly dont like Sammy's voice.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
Plainwell
Michigan
flag msg tools
Mi cabasa esta muy verde
badge
Et in Vantasia ego
mbmbmbmbmb
dan138 wrote:
Verkisto wrote:

woah woah woah, now how on EARTH, can we be arguing about this?

Sammy is the man - but I like DLR just fine.

Actually I'm mostly and Eddy fan and the singer while important is secondary. Did I mention I saw them with Gary Cherone singing? It was actually quite a good show.

I'm excited to see my boy Eddy again and DLR singing is just fine by me

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dan Manson
United States
Mississippi
flag msg tools
mb
vandemonium wrote:
dan138 wrote:
Verkisto wrote:

woah woah woah, now how on EARTH, can we be arguing about this?

Sammy is the man - but I like DLR just fine.

Actually I'm mostly and Eddy fan and the singer while important is secondary. Did I mention I saw them with Gary Cherone singing? It was actually quite a good show.

Oh, definitely. It's Mister Van Halen's show.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
♪ Isaäc Bickërstaff ♫
United States
Greer
South Carolina
flag msg tools
designer
Entropy Seminar:
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
dan138 wrote:
vandemonium wrote:

They're only a singer away from truly being Van Halen. They should've recruited Valerie.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
Plainwell
Michigan
flag msg tools
Mi cabasa esta muy verde
badge
Et in Vantasia ego
mbmbmbmbmb
Verkisto wrote:
dan138 wrote:
vandemonium wrote:

They're only a singer away from truly being Van Halen. They should've recruited Valerie.

Can you imagine instead of Sammy if they had gotten Eddy's first choice?

Patty Smyth? They could have been shootin' at the walls of heartache, instead of having the best of both worlds. Things that make ya go hmm....

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.