Popular Tags: [View All]
Dan
United States
Bountiful
Utah
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
The Hacan race has a special that the secondary ability of the Trade Strategy does not cost them a Command Counter. But with the expansion, the Trade II strategy has no secondary ability. Is there any benefit given to the Hacan for the loss of this ability when using Trade II?

I looked in the Expansion Rule book, as well as the online FAQ on their website, but couldn't find anything.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Hector Flores
United States
Round Rock
Texas
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I don't think there is any compensation for this lost ability.

That said, I don't think they need any compensation, as they are fairly powerful as is.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Very legal & very cool
United States
Lincoln
NE
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I'm afraid that, as far as I can tell, the Hacan only seem to benefit by having the -1 penalty that everyone else suffers negated by their other special ability.

It's certainly not as good as collecting your trade + 1 for free while everyone else has to pay to collect, but perhaps that Hacan ability was considered overpowered? All the other races affected by new SCs seem to have special rules to keep their powers relevant, but I can't speak to balance too well, as I just bought the game and am still working out the raw logistics of a getting a 6+ player game of TI3 together.

While I certainly wouldn't tinker with the game's elaborate rules my first several games, it would seem that some sort of house rule to allow the Hacan to ignore the minus one penalty when collecting on someone else's Trade II could be in order

(edit: oops, I guess he answered the question, with knowledge, while I was typing)

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dan
United States
Bountiful
Utah
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
The Hacan are overpowered? I would have never thought so. It seems like the Trade strategy is commonly picked last or not at all in our group. At least it was before we got Trade II in the expansion. Maybe it will see more play now.

Not to mention that they trade away 3s when everyone else gives them 2s (most of the time.) Doesn't that benefit the others more than it benefits them?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sam Carroll
United States
Urbana
Illinois
flag msg tools
Soli Deo Gloria!
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Well, there are two factors: the Hacan are getting at least 2+1 for their ability, so it's actually an even trade. Secondly, those trade contracts are powerful bargaining chips. If they make an agreement with, say, the Sardakk N'Orr who are their neighbors, the N'Orr aren't going to be interested in losing that 3 TG agreement by attacking the Hacan. So now the Hacan have one border secure; they can concentrate on other frontiers and build up great power.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Lyn Fox
United States
Seattle
Washington
flag msg tools
This user will support the website in the future.
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Using Trade I a player can opt to cancel all trade agreements, and this includes the Hacan's. But when using Trade II, the Hacan trade agreements are safe. Using Trade II, there is no way to cancel a Hacan trade agreement you are not part of.

I'd say that's pretty good compensation.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.