United States
New York
New York
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Here's a quote from the rules:

"A land tile that borders on the shadoof diagonally but lies on the
other side of the wadi, does NOT lie within reach of the shadoof."

The part referring to "the other side of the Wadi", somehow leaves my mind a blank.

In one example, they show a pump with a Wadi Tile Above it and one to the right of it, stating that the tile diagnolly up and to the right is out of reach. Guess I'm confused because there are two Wadi tiles ajacent to the pump. Does the rule refer to just one of those Wadi tiles, or are both necessary, for this rule to take effect.

Would love to see a much more detailed written explanation of this rule.

Think this looks like a great game. By hat off to any designer who manages to come up with something so new, and Wadi looks like it does just that.

Thanks

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Daniel Danzer
Germany
Stuttgart
southwest
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Look at the image below.

The red arrow shows, how a shadoof is on the other side of the wadi as the tile.

The brown arrow shows, how a tile can be diagonally within reach for a shadoof. Of course, this only happens with ONE wadi tile.

Obviously, you need two to seperate shadoof and land tile diagonally, as in the example in the rules you mention. With only one wadi tile (red arrow example), the land and the shadoof are always on the same side.

Hope that helps. Great little game, BTW.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
ARTHUR REILLY
United States
New York
New York
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
duchamp wrote:

Obviously, you need two to seperate shadoof and land tile diagonally, as in the example in the rules you mention. With only one wadi tile (red arrow example), the land and the shadoof are always on the same side.

Hope that helps. Great little game, BTW.

I think I've got it, but shouldn't it say (brown arrow example) above.

To repeat what I now think the rule is:

You can't Pump, or Score, any land tile with a water pawn on it when:

The water pawn lies diagnolly from the Shadoof in question and there's two Wadi Tiles diagnolly between the water pawn and the Shadoof itself.

Did I say that right?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Daniel Danzer
Germany
Stuttgart
southwest
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
thumbsup

Either way, it expresses the same fact.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
ARTHUR REILLY
United States
New York
New York
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
duchamp wrote:
thumbsup

Either way, it expresses the same fact.

I'll take that to mean, I understand it correctly.

Thanks

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Steve+Jackie McKeogh
United Kingdom
Okehampton
Devon
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
It is really easier if you visualise the wadi as a flowing river. A river doesn't have any 'gaps' in it but because the tiles are square, the river appears to be reduced to a point between two diagonal wadi tiles. If you realise that the river is still there flowing from one tile to another, it is easier to understand what is meant by being on the 'other side of the wadi'. So with the diagonal wadi tiles and the diagonal land tiles, one land tile is on one side of the river and the other land tile is on the other side of the river.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
ARTHUR REILLY
United States
New York
New York
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Fledermaushaus wrote:
It is really easier if you visualise the wadi as a flowing river. A river doesn't have any 'gaps' in it but because the tiles are square, the river appears to be reduced to a point between two diagonal wadi tiles. If you realise that the river is still there flowing from one tile to another, it is easier to understand what is meant by being on the 'other side of the wadi'. So with the diagonal wadi tiles and the diagonal land tiles, one land tile is on one side of the river and the other land tile is on the other side of the river.

Now that you explain it that way, it makes perfect sense. Sounds like you've actually played this game and if so, I'd love to know what you think about it.

Thank You

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Martyn F
Sweden
Kungälv
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
badge
Designer of board games with a bite...
mbmbmbmbmb
I see you understand the rule now. Daniel, Stevie & Jack, thanks for explaining. )

I will remember your comments when making the rules for the mext game!

Hope you will enjoy playing Wadi.

Cheers,

Martyn F

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
ARTHUR REILLY
United States
New York
New York
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Glad to see I finally understand the rule. Problem was, I was thinking of the Wadi as a specific tile, as opposed to the entire water path.

Thanks everyone for addressing this issue.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.