United States
Bakersfield
California
flag msg tools
designer
badge
Fields of Despair - GMT P500.
mbmbmbmbmb
I played my first complete game yesterday. The game was fun but given its rating, I expected more.

It's hard to really put a finger on it but the game just felt too luck driven. He who drew the scoring cards seemed to hold a huge advantage because he could better prepare for the scoring round.

In the beginning, that was Russia who for most of the game held a good lead. Then the Americans had scoring card after scoring card and was thus better prepared and in the end won by playing the "Total War" card (I think that was the name).

SO what am I missing? Is this truly a luck of the draw game? Again, given the rating and the passion of its followers, I am expecting my fellow geeks will enlighten me.

Thank you!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Steve Bauer
United States
Gilbert
Arizona
flag msg tools
badge
Bazinga!
mbmbmbmbmb
The game does has a lot of luck but is much deeper than you seem to think.

You missed at least one thing. Drawing the scoring card is almost always a disadvantage. With experienced players you have a pretty good idea which scoring cards are going to come up. If you make a move in a region that could score your opponent can always safely assume you have the scoring card and as you are going to have to skip a round to play the card so your opponent has the advantage. A common complaint is how hard it is to play a round where you draw 2 or more scoring cards.

There are a lot of luck elements. The space race, coups, realignment, card draw but most of these of these is easily offset by skillful play. I have played at least a hundred games and I can think of very few that luck played a major roll.

I like the luck that it has, it keeps the game very tense, never knowing how play will turn out and the possibility you can convert certain defeat to victory or certain defeat to victory even if the chances are small.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Martin
England
London
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
houjix wrote:
One of the first rules of Twilight Struggle is always know what scoring cards are live at any given moment.
I could not agree more. I recently played a game of TS against a very good player who complained that it was too random. He is generally a much better gamer than me, but I won in part because I kept on top of when the scoring cards were likely to appear, and paid hawk-like attention to the way he was paying to glean information about which scoring cards he held - as well as making some brilliant (if I say so myself) false moves to throw him off the scent over which scoring cards I held, or even over whether I held any at all.

Think of Twilight Struggle as being like spinning plates. You never know quite which one is going to fall over or when, so you have to apply new spin to those ones which haven't been re-spun for a while because you know they are likelier to fall - while all the while keeping your eye on the others, just in case.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Philip Thomas
United Kingdom
London
London
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
While the game probably is imbalanced (but only 60-40, which is not 'greatly' in my book) it is relatively easy to fix this, either by swapping sides for a rematch or by using a bidding system.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tim Stellmach
United States
Arlington
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
GAWD wrote:
What can't be negotiated is the fact that this is a game that has been repeatedly demonstrated to be greatly imbalanced.

Off topic, and easily remedied.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.