United States
Lake Oswego
Oregon
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Hey everyone,

If I own two shipping companies, for example, and everyone at the table has used all of their slots, can I merge my two companies essentially for free? Or do I have to pay the money to the bank (assuming, of course, that I have enough cash for the minimum bid)?

Thanks for all your help.

Noah

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dave Eisen
United States
Redwood City
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
If you have enough cash for the minimum bid, you pay yourself for the shares. That is, it's free.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Devin Smith
England
Southampton
Hampshire
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Yeah. You bid the minimum, win the auction, and pay yourself.

This also goes if you're merging one of your companies with others': any share of the money that would go to you you must have, but you just get to pay yourself.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Noah Kolman
United States
Lake Oswego
Oregon
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Great. Thanks everyone. We played it that way, but weren't sure if it was correct because it seemed like such an obvious thing to do.

Noah

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
jbrier
United States
Aventura
Florida
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
well, you do have to have the ability to propose the merger, and it also has to be the case that no one else has any open slots (or that you have the most money in which case no one can outbid you).

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kris Verbeeck
Belgium
Mol
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
If you are merging two rice companies together with a total of 7 rice. you should be able to pay 140 to yourself otherwise you can't merger.
So not free (since you have to pay but it won't cost you a thing if nobody else can enter the bidding and you are able to pay yourself)

If you time this wrong somebody with more money, and an open slot could put you back. However if they time this wrong they can be very vulnerable to another merger you can propose (A company can only be merged once a round)

Just for completeness
since you are merging your companies you don't need to have an open slot.

Just to be clear conditions to merger

the one that announces the merger has to have researched (developed) his mergers far enough. He also has to have an open slot if none of his companies are involved.

The owners of the companies can join regardless if they have free slots.
Others can only join when they have a free slot.

EDIt : deleted mistakes in order not to add to the confusion. Thanks guys . Hope you don't mind I deleted the mistake.

blush I'm really ashamed I messed this up. Thanks for the quick fix.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Giancarlo Sorrentino
Italy
Palermo
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
KrisVerbeeck wrote:

The owners of the companies can join regardless how they have researched in the merger track and have free slots.
Others can only join if they have researched the merger track far enough and have an open slot.

That's not true. Only the player who is announcing the merger has to to have researched in the merger track far enough, other people can participate to the bid if they have a free slot or own one of the merging companies regardless of their position on the merger track.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Werner Bär
Germany
Karlsruhe
Baden
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
KrisVerbeeck wrote:
Only people that have developed the merger track far enough and have open slots can enter in the bidding when you merge two of your own companies. (if one of your own companies is involved you don't have to have developed in mergers when someone announces the merger)

No. From the rules:
"Every player who can own the resulting company may bid (i.e. the players with a free slot, and the owners of the merging companies). Merger R&D does NOT influence who may bid."
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.