Popular Tags: [View All]
Jay Moore
United States
Webster Groves
Missouri
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmb
This very complex game has many rules, and is tough to teach yourself (even if you're a hardcore gamer like me!) I discovered a few things that I did wrong, all of them well into the playing of the game, and I thought I'd share them here so others can avoid similar problems.

1. Army stacking limits: Only ten units can be in a single space. Leaders, however, don't count toward the limit. You can have ten orcs plus eight Nazgul in a single space if you wish.

2. Army strength: Leaders also don't count toward army strength. The above army of ten orcs and eight Nazgul would have a strength of ten (and get a max of five dice as always). Similarly, three orcs and five Nazgul only get three dice, although they do get to reroll all of them!

3. Card limit: I didn't realize until the end of our first game that each player has a six-card hand limit. Whoops!

4. Card use in combat: You must select and play combat cards each ROUND of combat, not once each combat. The card only takes effect through one round of combat, and is then discarded.

5. Hunt Tiles: They are discarded when drawn from the Pool, not replaced. I'm still unclear about when the Fellowship enters Mordor -- do all the tiles go into the Pool at that point, including all the special tiles? Or only the ones that have been brought into play with Event Cards?

6. Combat rolls vs. Leader Rerolls: We're still unclear about this, but I think that if a card adds a bonus to a Combat Roll, it doesn't apply during the Leader Re-roll. For example, Rage of the Ents says, "Add 2 to all dice on your Combat roll." If you miss and re-roll due to leaders, you do not get to add 2 to your rerolls, right? That's the way we played it, anyway.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Francesco Nepitello
Italy
Venezia
Unspecified
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Re:Some pitfalls to avoid, and two questions
I'm still unclear about when the Fellowship enters Mordor -- do all the tiles go into the Pool at that point, including all the special tiles? Or only the ones that have been brought into play with Event Cards?

When the Fellowship enters Mordor make a new Hunt Pool, using what is left in the pool and adding the Special tiles brought into play by Event cards AND all Eye tiles that were drawn during play.

Combat rolls vs. Leader Rerolls: We're still unclear about this, but I think that if a card adds a bonus to a Combat Roll, it doesn't apply during the Leader Re-roll.

Right. The Combat Roll is the first roll, based on Army Strenght. The Leader reroll is based on your leadership. So you can have cards modifying the Combat roll, the Leader roll, or both.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jay Moore
United States
Webster Groves
Missouri
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmb
Francesco Nepitello (#51477),

Another couple of questions, if you don't mind, Francesco!

1) Does the Witch King count as a Nazgul, specifically when fighting against Gandalf the White? In other words, does Gandalf the White negate the leadership of the Witch King?

2) When a character die is used to split Companions from the Fellowship, can two Companions travel to two different locations? So, could Legolas head off toward The Shire while Aragorn makes a break for Rohan on turn one using only a single character die?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Talarius Dunedain
United States
Unspecified
Unspecified
flag msg tools
badge
Hellboy!
mbmbmbmbmb
MUKid (#51533),
I know you didn't ask me, but I couldn't resist replying. I may be wrong, but I figure, what the heck? Y'know?

1)
WotR rulebook, p.13
"Moving Nazgul and Minions" subheading:

"...the Witch King minion is considered to be a Nazgul (including all references to Nazgul on Event Cards unless differentiated in the card text by the use of the Minions title)."

I'm pretty confident that Gandalf the White negates the Witch King's leadership.

2)
WotR rulebook, p.19
"Seperating Companions From the Fellowship" heading:

"If you are seperating a group of Companions, move their figures together to one Region... Character movement uses the rules explained earlier in this rules set."

That seems to answer question 2; you can't split the Companions on the Action you use to seperate them from the Fellowship.

There appears to be a difference between spending an Action to seperate Companions from the Fellowship and the Action of moving all Companions currently on the board (which I haven't quoted here). I think you'd have to first split the Companions from the Fellowship with one action and then send them their seperate ways with a second action. At least, that's how it appears to me in the rulebook, but maybe that wasn't the intent.

Your second question is definitely trickier than the first (imho, of course). I'll be interested to see the official answer.

Btw, I found the rulebook a bit daunting when I tried to read it all at once at GenCon, but having played the game once and reread the rules a second time after the game, I don't think it's really all that complicated; it's just a bit much the first time you try to take it all in. I can easily think of several games that are far more complicated.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kristofer Bengtsson
Sweden
Kävlinge
flag msg tools
designer
War of the Ring: Official FAQ Master! Webmaster of www.warofthering.eu Author of the War of the Ring Companion
badge
- This is My Hour!
mbmbmbmbmb
MUKid (#51474),

Check out the FAQ located at:

http://home.rixtele.com/~charmtroll/wotr/faq.htm

It will answer many questions already asked and probably some that will turn up as you play the game.

Veldrin

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Francesco Nepitello
Italy
Venezia
Unspecified
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Does the Witch King count as a Nazgul, specifically when fighting against Gandalf the White? In other words, does Gandalf the White negate the leadership of the Witch King?

Yes, the Witch-king is a Nazgul for all purposes.

When a character die is used to split Companions from the Fellowship, can two Companions travel to two different locations? So, could Legolas head off toward The Shire while Aragorn makes a break for Rohan on turn one using only a single character die?

No. When you use a die to separate Companions you can send one companion or a group of companions to the same destination. Remember that a group of companions moves a number of regions equal to the highest level in the group.

Ciao.

P.S.
As Kris said, please visit his website to check the FAQ.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.