Jeff Wiles
United States
Macon
Georgia
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb

I'm still a bit muddled over the ownership markers and prestige cards. Someone else had mentioned that you can't get a marker onto a villa since there are no street spaces adjacent to a villa. That makes perfect sense as I read the rules, but if that's right, how do you score any points for the villa prestige cards? Doesn't the building listed on the card have to be part of your set of adjacent buildings with markers? If the villa can't have a marker, there's no way to get large strings of adjacent buildings anyway (like 6 or 7). Any input?

Also, in the two player game, the tower player gets a second action if his/her opponent takes an action. Does the opponent have to take the action first, or does simply sucessfully bargaining for an action by the opponent count? For example (starting in the post office), can I take the post office action, bargain with my opponent about taking the cathedral action, then move through the guild hall en route and take my second action there before ever arriving at the catherdral?

Thanks.

Jeff

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Re:Several rules questions
jeffwiles (#51489),

I can't answer the two player question off-hand, because I've never really looked at the two player rules.

However, I can hopefully clear up your misunderstanding of privilege cards and ownership markers. The first thing to remember is that they are completely unconnected to one another. You don't need to have an ownership marker on a building to collect money from the privilege card, or vice versa.

Privilege cards are acquired in four ways: 1) You start with one, 2) taking the villa action and not delivering a large order, 3) as part of the bribe for taking an action or 4) using a 1-1 trade card and surrendering something else (ware, small order, etc). The fourth way of getting them is sometimes not obvious, and can be a good surprise to spring during a game. Privilege cards pay money at the end of the game, according to how many you own, and which ones.

Ownership markers are completely seperate. They pay 10 ducats each at the end of the game, they pay a bonus of 10 ducats when someone else takes an action there, and they let you use building action cards.

In our group, the Cathedral often ends up with an ownership marker on it, and this can tend to discourage other players from getting into the ownership marker racket.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Truong Le
United States
Houston
Texas
flag msg tools
jeffwiles (#51489),

Also, in the two player game, the tower player gets a second action if his/her opponent takes an action. Does the opponent have to take the action first, or does simply sucessfully bargaining for an action by the opponent count? For example (starting in the post office), can I take the post office action, bargain with my opponent about taking the cathedral action, then move through the guild hall en route and take my second action there before ever arriving at the catherdral?

Concerning your 2-player rules question, the general rules about negotiations for "not neighboring but reachable buildings" state that the tower player may consider offers from other players for remote buildings and can keep those offers in mind when moving the tower around the board, but the tower player neither accepts or rejects offers for remote buildings. Such offers or "deals" are non-binding until they become offers for buildings actually neighboring the tower's current position. So the short answer to your question is no. You may not take your second action because while the tower was at the Post Office, you were not in a position to accept an offer from your opponent for the Cathedral since the Cathedral is a remote building.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Truong Le
United States
Houston
Texas
flag msg tools
TXLe wrote:
but the tower player neither accepts or rejects offers for remote buildings.

Oops. I meant the tower player neither accepts nor rejects offers for remote buildings.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jeff Wiles
United States
Macon
Georgia
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb

Thanks guys. Those were wonderfully helpful answers.

jeff

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.