Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
UA Darth
United States
Boca Raton
FL
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Wife and I just bought NT but it hasn't arrived yet.

If we enjoy NT, will we enjoy BaM, or will it have a more of the same feeling? It seems to me like BaM is a better stepping stone for NT, not the other way around.

Being out of print and now expensive(BaM), I went with NT first...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Gone C. Profile
msg tools
I've gotten a lot of play out of Bonaparte at Marengo, and have only played NT a few times so far, but my opinion is that NT is better in every way.

Also, between the two games, there are a lot of concepts which are similar, but different enough to be "really bad" if you get them mixed up during play. I think you shouldn't worry about BaM unless you get to a point where you feel you've worn out your copy of NT, and are curious about its predecessor.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
UA Darth
United States
Boca Raton
FL
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Cool, thanks.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Gone C. Profile
msg tools
I wrote:
my opinion is that NT is better in every way.

More specifically:
- in NT, both sides have a lot of control over their setup, and deploy their forces according to their overall strategy; in BaM, one side's setup is random, and the other gets to bring on 3-4 units per turn through a single space.
- in NT, the "defending" side can play aggressively; in BaM, the question is how hard the defenders want to stick before running away.
- NT has team rules, and they're really fun; BaM doesn't.
- NT has two scenarios; BaM has one.
- NT has a richer mix of units: heavy cavalry, guards units, more than one artillery piece per side.
- I like the combat in NT better than BaM. (Well, that's not very specific, is it.)
- NT has a much bigger map. (Well, depending on your table, that may be a point in BaM's favor, ha ha.)
- and in your case, NT will soon be in your hands, whereas BaM won't; that counts for a lot! (I believe the saying is, "a wargame on the table is worth two on ebay," or something like that.)
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.