Nottingham
England
flag msg tools
Hornet Leader - Carrier Air Operations
badge
Herge's Adventures of Tintin!
mbmbmbmbmb
House Rule

Okay, that search map is driving me potty! :angry: 160 red counters, 160 blue counters, side by side - lose focus for a moment and I've got counters swimming in front of my eyes! :(

The RAW suggest instead of using the tactical maps, search map and info boards that either the info boards are ditched, or the entire search process is ignored completely to simplify matters.

With the benfit of six phases of the practice scenario under my belt ;) I think there's a better alternative - lose the search map, keep the info boards with just one of the tactical maps. Deploy the vehicle counters face down (they've an arrow for facing on the back), along with a face down numbered DM in each occupied magahex. The search phase is still there - you need to flip the DMs, and go through the info board procedure as before. Replace the DMs with the FIRE, A-IR and A-WL equivalents when necessary as before. In situations where you'd be allowed to deploy blank IMs you get to deploy a 'dummy' unit counter face down on the tactical map as well - any unused vehicle type will do.

This keeps the essence of the full game. You may 'know' where the enemy is, but your guys on the ground have still got to spot them before they can be attacked - and it retains the different levels of info about the target which are a nice modifier to the combat procedure. It's also more solitaire-friendly and reduces the footprint of the game - although of course it now means you could join all four tactical maps together for a mega-scenario!

Give it a try!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tony Rowe
United States
Philadelphia
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I agree with you on how easily these counters can make you blind. Check out my entry in the "Worst photo you've ever taken" geeklist for a discussion on that subject:

http://www.boardgamegeek.com/geeklist.php3?action=view&listi...

I think your ideas for simplifying the search mechanic in this game are sound; ANYTHING to make this game a little more user-friendly is welcome.

Who or what is RAW, by the way?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ethan McKinney
United States
El Segundo
California
flag msg tools
badge
Hawklord wrote:
Who or what is RAW, by the way?

"Rules As Written"
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Craig Truesdell
United States
Uniontown
Ohio
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
This makes a lot of sense. I may try creating a Vassal module and this would work.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nigel Wright
United Kingdom
Nottingham
England
flag msg tools
Hornet Leader - Carrier Air Operations
badge
Herge's Adventures of Tintin!
mbmbmbmbmb
A message from beyond the grave! I had to double check Leopard II was still sitting on shelves - it is

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Craig Truesdell
United States
Uniontown
Ohio
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
That's what makes BGG awesome, try that in some of the other forums!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.