Popular Tags: [View All]
Avri Balofsky
Israel
Tel Mond
HaSharon
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
This week we finally got to play a game of Goa after a few attempts previously that were interrupted by a 5th player arriving as we were about to start. This game is one of the premiere examples of function over form where it's plainly a pasted on theme. The rules even state that the goal is not to be become the governor of India or regional mogul of some sort. Rather the goal is to acquire the most victory points. At least it's honest.

The first auction was interesting in that no plantations were sold at all. The only players that could advance any categories on the first round then were those that managed to found a colony. I thankfully had won 4 colonists in the auction and founded the Nutmeg/Pepper colony. Mory founded the Cinnamon/Pepper?, and Gavriel founded Clove/Ginger. These colonies really guided the progression of the game as I ended up getting Spices and Exploration cards advanced all the way, and Gavriel advanced his colonists to the end. Mory built mostly evenly down the board to get more extra actions, but didn't get anything fully advanced. Eliezer advanced his taxing all the way. On that note, there was a lot of taxing this game. Once one player taxes, there's heavy pressure for others to tax as well to keep up as inflation hits and each ducat is worth less. Eventually things were being auctioned off for more than 15 on a regular basis. Aside from that triple cinnamon plantation I got for a measly 1, everything commanded a high price at market.

Gavriel was the only player to establish all 4 colonies. I earned the most points from expedition cards having 2 pair and one extra card for 7 points, and I also had the most money for an extra 3 points. Gavriel and I were also the ones who won most of the extra actions at auction. The extra action cards are very valuable.

And I think the most annoying part of having a broken thumb is not being able to shuffle cards.

Final Scores:
Avri 45, Gavriel 40, Eliezer 30, Mory 29
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Enon Sci
United States
Portland
Oregon
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Since this was your groups first encounter with Goa I'd be interested in hearing what the general impression was around the table. Did you all enjoy it?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Avri Balofsky
Israel
Tel Mond
HaSharon
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Actually it wasn't the first time on the table. It was just the third I think. It had been a while since it managed to be played though b/c a 5th person kept walking in just as we would be about to start.

In general the game has been well received. When we first started it took about half a game to get a feel for it and what was important, then it flowed nicely. I've since played 2,3,and 4 player games. I'm not too crazy about it in 2 player, it's too zero sum for my liking I think. But with 3 or 4 it is quite good.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.