Popular Tags: [View All]
Scott Russell
United States
Clarkston
Michigan
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I think I've only seen one player reach 12 VP, so we've never been close to averaging 12 per player (which would be required to exhaust the VP pool).

The "build military and conquer Rebel stuff" seems to be unbeatable if that player gets average luck of the draw. In my "vast experience" of six games, I've only seen a production strategy win once, otherwise it's been military or a blend of military and economic prevail. I'd blame it on group think, but I've tried a couple times to use mostly production strategy, but haven't been successful with it. Am I unlucky or incompentent or is the military overly strong?

I am hoping it's the first or last option, but prepared to hear the second.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dan Blum
United States
Wilmington
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
badge
I won with a production strategy last game, and have seen it work many other times. We did not run out of VP chips, but it was a 3-player game - with 4 players, or if we had gone one more turn, we would have run out (I had 18 points).

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
Hinsdale
Illinois
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I've played less than ten games, and I've already seen the the VP supply depleted in both 2P and 3P games.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Fair
United States
Damascus
MD
flag msg tools
designer
Or maybe PowerGrid?
badge
Yeah, that's me. Handsome devil, I know.
mbmbmbmbmb
I n my last game (4-player) I got several low-priced production and windfall worlds down fast (a blue, a green, and a brown), the 6-point development that gives bonuses for consumption chips and a good set of consumption powers that gave me a lot of VP's and a few cards.

I went on a standard setup of produce-consume x2-repeat, settling only more production and windfall worlds and playing developments that would help this strategy, and both of those only when others played those actions. I think i did the produce-consume x2 combo at least 6 times.

The game ended on VP chips... We used 59 chips total. I scored 34 of those (which also gave 11 bonus points thanks to my development card).

Total scores were 23, 34, 35, and 63.

My opponent who had 35 did the Mining worlds strategy (almost all brown planets, and many developments that helped settle and/or sell brown), the 34 was a development strategy, and the 23 was, well, he was a little lost it seemed.

Anyway, i have not seen the military be too much stronger than any other strategy, and i certainly haven't seen it get into the really high end of the scores, though it does win it's share of games.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Christopher Gritt
United Kingdom
Brighton
East Sussex
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I've played about a dozen 2-p games. Victory points have run out a couple of times.

The production strategy seems to win more times than not in our games, but that could be due to (very small) group think.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brent Mair
United States
Roy
Utah
flag msg tools
The Meeple Nation Boardgame Podcast - 30 minutes a week!
badge
BGGCon 2015 or Bust
mbmbmbmbmb
I've played ten 2-player games and we have yet to end the game by depleting the VP chips. We came close once since the same turn we built to 12 and depleted the VP chips.

I've only gotten the production strategy to work the one time but it was very eye opening to me. The military buildup strategy is certainly not the only one. These games I've played with my 12 year old son are likely not indicative of most games. He had complained that he never got New Sparta (since he often tries to adapt a military strategy). I allowed him to choose New Sparta (which gives you one victory point and two points of military) and he chose Alpha Centari for me since he (and I) believe it is the most difficult to play. The game was tight there for a while but I finally got two good 6 cost Developments that put me over the top. Of course this example does nothing to support my VP argument.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kester J
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
One of the key aspects to a production strategy is not to start too soon. You can make a mediocre VP engine early, but this will often exhaust your cards in hand and leave you no quick way to get any more. Often it's a case of using your first few turns to get cards, then building your engine and kicking produce/consume into gear. Trying to start that VP engine too early is a mistake I've made all too often. The worlds and developments which give you cards in hand on produce are excellent for avoiding this, with Consumer Markets being my particular favourite.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mike Adams
United States
Brigham City
Utah
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Spielguy wrote:
I've played ten 2-player games and we have yet to end the game by depleting the VP chips. We came close once since the same turn we built to 12 and depleted the VP chips.

Too bad you don't live closer to me. Hayden and I would kick both your butts.

Our last game of it was two days ago, a 2-player game. It ended when we ran out of VP chits and was a very quick, tense game. He was pursuing a heavy mining strategy based on the Mining League and some other mineral producing cards he received early on. I was trying a production strategy since I started with Old Earth and had a card that would allow me to Trade one novelty good for an additional 3 cards. Between those two cards, I could trade a single novelty for 6 cards and fill my hand quickly when needed, plus trade up to at lest a couple of other goods for VPs. Then I drew the Tourist World where I could exchange 2 goods for 3 VPs, with the 2x bonus giving me 6 VPs. At the end of the game I only had 7 cards in my tableau and he had 8 or 9 and I won. On the last two turns of the game I earned 6 and 7 VPs each from consuming goods and he earned 6 on the last turn trying for some damage control in the face of my serious consumption strategy. I won 30-24.

It was only a 2-player game and if only one person is pursuing a serious consumption strategy like that, it would take longer in a 4-player game to burn through all the chits. But still, once it was rolling it would be hard to compete with it. I also had some more military worlds in my hand I could build for free, a -2 on building other worlds, and the ability to get a handful of cards whenever I wanted to Trade. It would be hard to beat even if the game lasted longer and had more players.

I like that the VP chits can end the game more quickly. It adds tension to it that a long term strategy could be cut short before 12 cards are out, so you need to be careful along the way. It reminds me of the feel of a quick building strategy in Puerto Rico trying to burn through the colonist supply.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jonathan Summers
United States
Lansing
Michigan
flag msg tools
mbmb
I've mostly played 2 player games (with double role selection) and about half of them, the VP pool ran out. This is because the player using a production strategy doesn't have to pick develop/settle since the other player is forced to choose it (The producer only picks produce and consume every round). The other player is forced to build because the trader is consuming for more VPs every round and that is the only way to catch up.

With 2 players, it only takes 4 rounds to exhaust the VP pool when you average 6 VP chips with the 2x consume and 3 production planets. Since the producer isn't choosing the build role, a maximum of 2 things can be build per round, likely less since the builder will need to trade/explore to get more cards now and then.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
oystein eker
Norway
Unspecified
sola
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Once.

My two last games (3 and 4 player)was very close to deplete VP. Used Produce and 2x VP every second turn and gained approx 10 - 12 VP. I was very happy and did not build. The other guys rushed in with build to stop me. When game stopped there was less than 5 VP left in pool.

-I won both games on tie breaker.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Scott Russell
United States
Clarkston
Michigan
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Thanks to all, I assumed it was a group think/bad play on production attempts.

Special thanks to Kester for tips on playing production strategy.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ola Mikael Hansson
Sweden
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Yes, definitely seen it run out... I think out of my 8 two-player game of RftG so far, 3 have ended with the VP supply running out... while one more had it almost empty.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ralph H. Anderson
United States
Prospect
Connecticut
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
All too often! In fact, we run out of VP chits more often than not.

Best 3 player game we had final scores of 55, 60 and 61! Everyone had everything working optimally.

If no one is picking Consume double VP a couple of times in the game, then you are missing out on a key strategy for the produce consume strategy. This will run the VP out quickly.

In a game last night on the final turn in a three player game I was able to consume double VP for 14 VP chits in one turn - and had two other turns where I got 8. I did win, but it was close!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bulldozers
United States
Crystal Lake
Illinois
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Yep... My buddy and I have run the VPs out a few times, and I do NOT like the size of the counters either for that matter.

I don't like having to think of bringing out my tweezers to pick up the single point counters.

I love the game but think the counters were a rip-off. We always score mid 30s but winners have scored 60 at least 5 times. Stome time it seems placing that last 6 developement alone will bring in 10-15 points on other planets let alone its 6 in value.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mark Delano
United States
Cary
North Carolina
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
bulldozers wrote:
We always score mid 30s but winners have scored 60 at least 5 times. Stome time it seems placing that last 6 developement alone will bring in 10-15 points on other planets let alone its 6 in value.

I'm not sure what you mean by "6 in value". 6 developments aren't worth an intrinsic 6 vp, they are only worth as much as the card says.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
James Ludlow
United States
Saint Louis Park
Minnesota
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
bulldozers wrote:
I don't like having to think of bringing out my tweezers to pick up the single point counters.

Slide them?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
B C Z
United States
Reston
Virginia
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Quote:

I've never used the VP chips that came with the game, I have them stowed away under one of the sides of the insert for posterity.

Check out my replacements in this thread: http://www.boardgamegeek.com/thread/259267

So far I'm pretty please with this replacement, and it gives the game a really nice look and feel.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tom Thingamagummy
United States
Oakland
California
flag msg tools
Don't make me bust out the drama!!
badge
Panda is a Werewolf. The Village wins!
mbmbmbmbmb
Only once... I kept taking Consume x2 and everyone was forced to consume. I ended with 22 VP's, and the rest were spread out amongst all the other players.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
James Palmer
Canada
Ayr
Ontario
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
The first game we played we had the VP supply run out and someone built their 12th building on the same turn. Otherwise, the supply has gotten close to run out but the building's have been built first. This is only after about a half dozen games though.

I think this mainly has to do with the fact that all of us are used to playing San Juan (where building points is all their is) and are more likely to go for strategies that we're a little more familiar with.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Alain Renaud
Canada
Québec
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I once managed to pick 40 of the VP chips, by doing some produce, consume x2 for 10 VP per 2 turn. But I don't expect to do that again as the group is gaining experience and won't let me get that much. But to run out of VP is not so rare. When you see that you have good consume card and a couple of production world. Just do the produce, consume x2 patern while playing card when the other players devellop/settle

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Gary Bradley
United Kingdom
Unspecified
Scotland
flag msg tools
I play the Steam version of the game versus Medium AIs.....VP chips running out ends the game FAR more often than 12 cards in play does. Weird.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.