Popular Tags: [View All]
The Fiend
United States
Avon Lake
Ohio
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Initially I didn't like this game because there was no difference between a unit with 1 figure or all it's figures. I pondered over my "Fire and Fury" miniature rules and the answer hit me right in the face. Instead of making any adjustments to the number of dice a unit rolled I put an extra step in the ORDER phase. A full unit is considered "fresh" and responds to orders normally. A unit that has taken casualties is considered "worn" and if not with an attached leader must roll to see if it follows orders in the confusion of battle. For each casualtie taken it rolls a die and if any flags come up it may not respond to the order or move/fire that turn. It's a simple but elegant rule that is easy to use with the minimum of effort. Attaching a leader to a worn unit in a critical position suddenly makes a lot of sense. A unit with only the Flag-bearer left is considered "spent" and reacts like a worn unit EXCEPT any flags rolled means the unit routs and falls back that many spaces! Ordering a spent unit without an attached leader is risky business and a lone artillery unit just might limber up and skedaddle! We play-tested these rules 5 times and they really put more of the "feel" of ACW miniatures into the game without having to constantly refer to the rules.
A buddy on this site, whose name I can't recall, suggested the following fire rule which I submitted. A unit with casualties rolls the appropriate dice but may only choose as many results as figures left. Artillery count as 2 figures for this purpose and Leaders don't count for any. This simply reflects decreased fire-power without any basic die-adjusting. There is the same percentage possibilty of a hit without the absurd notion of a spent unit delivering a withering fire.
This game truly plays like a miniatures battle but the publisher's probably wanted to keep it as simple as possible for mass sales. I don't blame them, I would too. Any wargamer worth his salt knows line-of-sight rules. I just suggested using them. Any unit on a hill can shoot over a unit or blocking terrain that's closer to it than the target. This is the purpose of higher ground, a great view and firing field of the battleground. I suggest not firing down a ridge line unless you're on a specified hill that's an elevation above the rest.
I never heard of an Artillery battery being rolled inside a house so I prohibit Artillery from moving onto a building space and getting the defensive bonus. On the other hand, a leader should be able to move through it's units and other leaders but not remain in a space with another leader. Terrain restrictions still apply.
Well, that's it. KISS. Keep it simple stupid. I think I did. It's easy to get these rules immediatelly into a game.
I think it plays a lot more realistically without any bogging down. I'm playing the entire war in a campaign with these rules and after 5 games the CSA is ahead by 1 campaign VP point. Fresh units are now ordered forward while units with casualties drift back to cover.
With these simply added rules I can't beleive how much I now enjoy this game. Scenarios are completed very quickly and I'm even contemplating getting a 2nd set. I just wish they hadn't printed the name right in the middle of that beautifull Battlefield!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
The Fiend
United States
Avon Lake
Ohio
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Re:EZ Advanced rules discussion by the author
Jimzik (#51670),
ADDITION
Simple "Charge" rule: If you remove an adjacent enemy from it's space Infantry and Cavalry may move into it. This is called Taking Ground. After taking ground roll 1 die, if the symbol matches the unit or attached leader (if one) it may immediatelly make a "Breakthrough Charge" by moving ONE space and battling again. This Breakthrough charge does not count as an order.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chaos Dwarf
United States
Lakewood
Ohio
flag msg tools
mb
Jimzik (#51678),
Great rules changes! It makes the game feel much more Civil.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jeffrey D Myers
United States
Albuquerque
New Mexico
flag msg tools
"Always rely upon a happy mind alone." Geshe Chekhawa.
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Jimzik (#51670),

Great changes!

To add to the soup: I've used an alternate version of the "number of results" rule in Memoir `44 which some might prefer. This is that the number of _kill_ results can't be more than the number of figures in the firing unit (doubled for artillery), but the flags can always apply.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
The Fiend
United States
Avon Lake
Ohio
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Jimzik (#51678),
After considerable play-testing with the "Breakthrough Charge" rule I made the following change. After INF/CAV force an adjacent enemy out of it's space you NOW roll the die. If it comes up the unit's symbol (or leader's if one attached) the unit "takes that ground" and may immediatelly Battle again unless under terrain restriction's. This move is not to be considered an order.
"Takes the ground" is considered the space that was vacated.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Joe Donnelly
Canada
Unspecified
BC
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Jimzik (#52168),

That makes infantry more likely to breakthrough than cavalry. Shouldn't it be the other way around?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
The Fiend
United States
Avon Lake
Ohio
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Sunray11 (#52317),
Cavalry doesn't like to go charging into guns and instead of other rule changes it's just factored in here. Cavlary is an easy target and they were used in the ACW mostly against other cavalry, cutting supply lines, harassing troop movements and (most importantly) scouting. In the game what I picture is actually happening is that the cav moves/dismounts and fires. Instead of giving it all sorts of seperate rules it just has a 1 space range (carbines and shotguns) which easily encompasses it all. Use your imagination more in this game than complicating the rule system, it works much better. Of course there is no limit to the level you can play this game at if you have a willing partner. I prefer a lot of fast-paced games with easily remembered rules.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.